Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Studio vs Melody Maker vs LPJ

rwfelton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own, and love the new melody maker. Wicked playability and sounds crunchy. Now I'm gasing for a new studio in ebony! Not sure about LPJ but I have read some good reviews, and the one I played in store sounded and felt great too. I think the lineup's a hit this year. Way to go Gibson! [thumbup]

I own, and love the new melody maker. Wicked playability and sounds crunchy. Now I'm gasing for a new studio in ebony! Not sure about LPJ but I have read some good reviews, and the one I played in store sounded and felt great too. I think the lineup's a hit this year. Way to go Gibson! [thumbup]

agreed on this year's line up.... i was at a toss up for the MM or the new studio. i was bound and determined to get the MM but when i saw the new studios i jumped. only regret i have is not having enough money to buy the studio and the MM. haha. i love the tone of the LPJs. i'm glad they got rid or that all black hardware. now if they would just stamp les paul on the headstock.

I disagree. There is not a 498T bridge pickup to be found on the 2014 models. And what's with all these Maple Necks and Baked Maple Boards? Call me a purist, but to me a Les Paul means Mahogany body and Mahogany neck. Also, as pointed out by other members, you can't get a Traditional with a 60's Slim-Tapered neck. As for the pickups, there are now way too many '57 paf wannabees. '57 Classic, '57 Classic Plus, Burstbucker 1, 2, 3 and Burstbucker Pro. Not to mention no more Hard Case with the Studios. Just my opinion....... To each his/her own! :unsure:

P.S. There are still some 2012 and 2013 models floating around out there, brand new with the Gibson Warranty.

Oh and that inlay at the 12th fret has got to go...

i didn't like the 490s at first. nor the maple neck. but after setting the posts on the pickups, adjusting height, etc i was able to get nice tones out of them. the maple neck is still taking some getting used to. but it is growing on me. they've used maple for necks before. the fretboard is rosewood though. the case thing bothers me too. gibsons been doing that for a while now on most basic studios. the studio pro comes with a hardshell case though, but $500 more dollars for a case and a glossy finish? the base studios are a new beast in the line up. i am more and more impressed with it every day though. it still doesn't compare to my 1987 sg 61' reissue.

I bought the Gibson LPJ 2013 model when the PRS I wanted to buy was discontinued. I have never played the melody maker, so I can't offer much of a comparison, but I can tell you what I know and like about the LPJ.

First off, just to clear anything up, it is NOT a 'Les Paul Junior'. The LPJ is a new model, and a completely different guitar from the Les Paul Jr. (not that there is anything wrong with this guitar, I am merely clearing up any confusion)

Anyways, things I love about the LPJ; it is unlaquered, so along with the major price cut, it has a very warm sound that (personally) I really look for in a guitar, and that a lot of lacquered guitars lack in some ways. The clean tones are beautiful and sweet, and plugging in my pedalboard I can pull out a great, meaty Les Paul sound on overdrive and distortion. It has 490R and 498T humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge positions, which I love, with awesome matte pickup covers.

The first thing that caught my eye about the guitar in the store was the way it looked. I have a wierd thing for matte and satin finishes, so when i picked it up and played it, it was sold for me right there in the store.

I'd recommend this guitar to anybody, no matter what skill level you are, because I've played a lot of Les Pauls (spending hours in music stores) and this guitar is just as good as any of the classic gibson USA's. Plus, its a steal for $800 or so.

hope this helps,

-A

I bought the Gibson LPJ 2013 model when the PRS I wanted to buy was discontinued. I have never played the melody maker, so I can't offer much of a comparison, but I can tell you what I know and like about the LPJ.

First off, just to clear anything up, it is NOT a 'Les Paul Junior'. The LPJ is a new model, and a completely different guitar from the Les Paul Jr. (not that there is anything wrong with this guitar, I am merely clearing up any confusion)

Anyways, things I love about the LPJ; it is unlaquered, so along with the major price cut, it has a very warm sound that (personally) I really look for in a guitar, and that a lot of lacquered guitars lack in some ways. The clean tones are beautiful and sweet, and plugging in my pedalboard I can pull out a great, meaty Les Paul sound on overdrive and distortion. It has 490R and 498T humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge positions, which I love, with awesome matte pickup covers.

The first thing that caught my eye about the guitar in the store was the way it looked. I have a wierd thing for matte and satin finishes, so when i picked it up and played it, it was sold for me right there in the store.

I'd recommend this guitar to anybody, no matter what skill level you are, because I've played a lot of Les Pauls (spending hours in music stores) and this guitar is just as good as any of the classic gibson USA's. Plus, its a steal for $800 or so.

hope this helps,

-A

thanks for the response. i love the way the LPJs sound. i'm used to the 60s neck on my other gibsons so i went with the studio. it took some adjusting (setting the pickup posts, height of pickups, lowering action, etc) but i am finally comfortable with it. i've only had it a couple of weeks now but its growing on me. the maple neck threw off at first but i actually like it. the last les paul i had was a 73 standard. and my sg is almost 30 years old. so all these new models didn't feel right to me at first. i have been looking into getting a new LP for the last couple of years. being an anniversary year and the 12th fret inlays etc. the new standards and customs were just a little too much far out of my budget. and then the 2014 models jumped up in price over night. i was looking at the melody maker one night a couple of months ago.(which really isn't a melody maker compared to older models). gotta throw in there that i love P90s. the next day i had decided to purchase one and the price went up over night. watched tons of videos read hundreds of reviews and i loved all 3 guitars. would like to go eventually get the other two.

thanks for the response. i love the way the LPJs sound. i'm used to the 50s neck on my other gibsons so i went with the studio. it took some adjusting (setting the pickup posts, height of pickups, lowering action, etc) but i am finally comfortable with it. i've only had it a couple of weeks now but its growing on me. the maple neck threw off at first but i actually like it. the last les paul i had was a 73 standard. and my sg is almost 30 years old. so all these new models didn't feel right to me at first. i have been looking into getting a new LP for the last couple of years. being an anniversary year and the 12th fret inlays etc. the new standards and customs were just a little too much far out of my budget. and then the 2014 models jumped up in price over night. i was looking at the melody maker one night a couple of months ago.(which really isn't a melody maker compared to older models). gotta throw in there that i love P90s. the next day i had decided to purchase one and the price went up over night. watched tons of videos read hundreds of reviews and i loved all 3 guitars. would like to go eventually get the other two.

imo the lpj is the best idea they've had in a long while. certainly, bringing NEW buyers into actual, tactile, contact with the brand is a win from just the sales pov. however, i think it's smarter still in terms of acquainting someone with the brand earlier than they otherwise might. ingrain the trust and other emotional factors early on, and make repeat buyers. i very nearly bought a red one with the mini tune just this year. what swayed me to the studio pro was:

the hard case

no klusens (don't like them)

the exact pick ups i wanted, and were wired with push pulls

there is a significant jump in price, almost double, for the avg person. i was able to take advantage of a family friend with deep guanxi at the store, so not so bad for me. but i think the lpj is a great no b.s. guitar, and for a gibson, is priced well. my only gripe is, no hard case.

I have a '14 Studio and the Maple neck doesn't bother me one little bit. In fact I prefer it to the Mahogany I had on my '13 Studio. I don't intend to drop it, but if the unthinkable happened I'd like to think the Maple wouldn't be as inclined to crack. I did like the 498T on my '13, but the 490T on the '14 sounds just as good. Plenty of meaty humbucker sounds, and oddles of sustain. The one down side is the lack of a case, but in the UK the '14 is £200 cheaper than the '13 was this time last year, so that gives you plenty of scope to get a case of your own choosing. I heartily recommend a '14 model over the Granadillo fretboard '13!

11t9551.jpgt0srw0.jpg

Oooop's I did it again.....walked into my local L&M with the intention of trying out some of the 2014 Studios and walked out a few bucks lighter with an ebony one!!! My 2nd 2014 Gibson(so far) this year.....plays and sounds so amazing...pics will be posted shortly.....

I have a '14 Studio and the Maple neck doesn't bother me one little bit. In fact I prefer it to the Mahogany I had on my '13 Studio. I don't intend to drop it, but if the unthinkable happened I'd like to think the Maple wouldn't be as inclined to crack. I did like the 498T on my '13, but the 490T on the '14 sounds just as good. Plenty of meaty humbucker sounds, and oddles of sustain. The one down side is the lack of a case, but in the UK the '14 is £200 cheaper than the '13 was this time last year, so that gives you plenty of scope to get a case of your own choosing. I heartily recommend a '14 model over the Granadillo fretboard '13!

11t9551.jpgt0srw0.jpg

sweet!!!! and the lack on the lack of a case.... i ordered an epi LP case when i ordered mine. $89.00 compared to $200. plus the epi logo may deter thieves a little more. plus you can contact online companies and ask what they will do to compete with the other companies that sell the same stuff for the same price and get a price drop. then take that online price deal to guitar center and BAM!!!! you get good old business competition. find out which company will do more to help the customer. it ended up an even $1000 for the axe, a case, and a dunlop tween strap.

post-65136-076603100 1400434341_thumb.jpg

sweet!!!! and the lack on the lack of a case.... i ordered an epi LP case when i ordered mine. $89.00 compared to $200. plus the epi logo may deter thieves a little more. plus you can contact online companies and ask what they will do to compete with the other companies that sell the same stuff for the same price and get a price drop. then take that online price deal to guitar center and BAM!!!! you get good old business competition. find out which company will do more to help the customer. it ended up an even $1000 for the axe, a case, and a dunlop tween strap.

Thanks! Good to see another '14 Studio, looks great. I got a Gator hardshell case for mine off Amazon for £54, compared to £140 for a Gibson. Didn't see any Epi cases on there, but they sound like a great bargain too.

Oooop's I did it again.....walked into my local L&M with the intention of trying out some of the 2014 Studios and walked out a few bucks lighter with an ebony one!!! My 2nd 2014 Gibson(so far) this year.....plays and sounds so amazing...pics will be posted shortly.....

Looking forward to them. HNGD!

both guitars are beautiful! hey don't forget, one other advantage of the 14 model year is the cool inlay. i can't help myself, i love it

Thanks man! Some don't like the inlay, but I feel the same way as you about it. Definitely a plus imo.

I disagree. There is not a 498T bridge pickup to be found on the 2014 models. And what's with all these Maple Necks and Baked Maple Boards? Call me a purist, but to me a Les Paul means Mahogany body and Mahogany neck. Also, as pointed out by other members, you can't get a Traditional with a 60's Slim-Tapered neck. As for the pickups, there are now way too many '57 paf wannabees. '57 Classic, '57 Classic Plus, Burstbucker 1, 2, 3 and Burstbucker Pro. Not to mention no more Hard Case with the Studios. Just my opinion....... To each his/her own! :unsure:

P.S. There are still some 2012 and 2013 models floating around out there, brand new with the Gibson Warranty.

Oh and that inlay at the 12th fret has got to go...

The Studio uses a South American wood VERY similar to South American Rosewood that sounds fantastic an only darkens in color with age. I have owned many Rosewood fretboard guitars and can here no difference between the wood Grandillo and Indian Rosewood In my Opinion

i didn't like the 490s at first. nor the maple neck. but after setting the posts on the pickups, adjusting height, etc i was able to get nice tones out of them. the maple neck is still taking some getting used to. but it is growing on me. they've used maple for necks before. the fretboard is rosewood though. the case thing bothers me too. gibsons been doing that for a while now on most basic studios. the studio pro comes with a hardshell case though, but $500 more dollars for a case and a glossy finish? the base studios are a new beast in the line up. i am more and more impressed with it every day though. it still doesn't compare to my 1987 sg 61' reissue.

The 2013 Studio uses a Mahogany neck, Why did the switch to Maple for the 2014's??

The 2013 Studio uses a Mahogany neck, Why did the switch to Maple for the 2014's??

probably to cut cost but it doesn't do any harm to the guitar. the maple neck feels fine. it did take me a bit to get used to it though. i wouldn't want a maple neck on all my gibsons but it suits the studios well. it even looks cool and has a satin finish.

post-65136-047873200 1400504240_thumb.jpg

probably to cut cost but it doesn't do any harm to the guitar. the maple neck feels fine. it did take me a bit to get used to it though. i wouldn't want a maple neck on all my gibsons but it suits the studios well. it even looks cool and has a satin finish.

The Honeyburst finish Studio is the only one that the back of the neck is finished in clear laquer so you can clearly see the Maple. My Brilliant Red Burst is Red all over, including the back of the neck. Honeyburst was my first choice actually, but my local shop only had BRB, Ebony, or Wine Red, so I ended up with BRB. Am more than happy with it tbh!

The Honeyburst finish Studio is the only one that the back of the neck is finished in clear laquer so you can clearly see the Maple. My Brilliant Red Burst is Red all over, including the back of the neck. Honeyburst was my first choice actually, but my local shop only had BRB, Ebony, or Wine Red, so I ended up with BRB. Am more than happy with it tbh!

i actually kept contemplating returning mine for the BRB. then i got mine set up where i am more than happy with it and i can't put it down.

Yes they did use Granadillo on the 2012 and 2013 Studios. I have one. I fail to see your point Steve. I never mentioned Granadillo fingerboard wood. I was merely pointing out the use of Maple. Oh BTW the used section at MF on-line has '14 Studios and other '14 models piling up; which means they are being returned. Already. Not sure why though. <_<

i had a few questions regarding my 2014 studio when i first got it in, but i am happy with it now. like i said early it really is a new kind of best all in it's own. once i set the pickup height, post heights, and got the action set i haven't looked back. the maple neck is nice and soft and smooth. at first it threw me off. now i love it. the 490T and R were a little too bright for me at first and not equal in volume. set the height on everything and evened them out. now i love them too. i wonder why there would be so many returns as well... it seems like i watch and read loads of more good reviews than bad.

This time last year MF used was full of 2013 models, and the year before 2012, and so on, and so forth. A new model comes out and you get the usual candidates who order 'em with no intention of keeping them, just to try them out. Full credit to MF for listing them as used though. A lot of other sites just relist them under the new section again, when even at best they're supposed to be relisted as "B stock".

I had a 2013 Studio, and much prefer my '14 all 'round, even though I had to buy a case for it. [smile]

Archived