Gibson Guitar Board: To much vibration from internal transformer of my T.120 - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To much vibration from internal transformer of my T.120 50Hz vibration noise coming from that transformer, now I am sure!

#1 User is offline   Confocal 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Just after the initial use of my T.120 turntable some years ago, I heared a strong noise at 50Hz (the mains frequency here in Europe). The best way to ear it was:
- stylus on the disk (pulling up the stylus from the disk, noise was less)
- plate not running (no other noise)
- no vibration from the desktop where the T120 was placed (for example, no PC external disk on the desktop, no other vibratin sources)
Switching on and off the motor switch there was not any change, the noise was there!
The 50Hz noise was very loud! Not acceptable from a Stanton turntable!!
No way to reduce it. For years I used the turntable with this noise but recently I decide to make something.
I start to investigate and after a lot of tests, I found that the reason was not of electromagnetic type but of mechanical vibration type.
The mains internal trasformer was the source of that mechanical vibration. I opened my T.120 I removed the transformer and placed it outside the turntable. I will make an external box for that transoformer with some custom connection, but for now it is all on the desktop! (see attached photo).
Now, the noise is totally disappeared! It is clear that the insulation rubber placed on the plate that fix the trasformer inside the turntable case (see the red arrows in the second photo) was not sufficient to filter all the vibration generated by the transformer. Or, the trasformer is to much vibrating for this type of application.

At the end some important declaration:
1) I know that opening the turntable the warranty was 'broken'
2) I know the risk of electric shock with this kind of work. Please, note that the parts I removed and reworked are very dangerous parts when they are connected to the mains. The voltages on these parts can be DEADLY. I am an electronic eng. so I know how to work in a safety way.
3) WITH THIS POST I AM NOT SUGGESTING TO DO THIS TYPE OF REWORK TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM I HAD ILLUSTRATED ABOVE. I MADE THIS THIS POST ONLY TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE ABOUT THIS 'DEFECT' AND TO KNOW IF OTHER PEOPLE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR 50 HZ NOISE. IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, DO NOT MAKE ANY RE-WORK LIKE THIS ONE. IF YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, IT WILL BE UNDER YOUR RESPONSABILITY. PLEASE, CONTACT THE STANTON SERVICE.
Attached File  IMG_0094.jpg (77.67K)
Number of downloads: 6

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users