Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Push/Push Pot

not_the_dj

Doesn't look good for the reliability of the push/push pots on my Trad Pro 2.

Bought new last September from Andertons (I'm in the UK) and during last Saturday's gig the neck pick-up pot failed, leaving it in the up (split) position. It just won't click in the down position meaning I'm stuck with it as a single coil [mad]

Anyway as it's within warranty Andertons are going to replace the pot (hopefully), but I'll always be worried that the others will go the same way.

I have used the neck coil split option quite a lot, I love the clean sound with the selector in the mid position, the bridge pick-up as a full humbucker and the neck split.

As I've said on another thread, Yamaha have used push - push pots for years and are not known for unreliability. I've never had any sort of problem with them. Mind you, I haven't had problems with push / pull either.

Well Andertons now have my guitar back, but they're not sure how long it'll take to get the replacement from Gibson Service (based in the Netherlands). Hopefully just a week or two...if it's stock!

All this helps to justify having more than one guitar to my wife as I've got gigs each weekend this month.

Guest Farnsbarns

That must be a pain but I hardly think a single failure on one guitar warrants the asumption that they are unreliable by nature.

That must be a pain but I hardly think a single failure on one guitar warrants the asumption that they are unreliable by nature.

Hopefully you're right, and the others will last longer than the 8 months this one has (fingers crossed).

All fixed, great service from Andertons =D>

Reported it to them last Monday, arranged for it to be collected on the Wednesday so they got it on the Thursday. They got the replacement part from Gibson on Monday and fitted it that day. Shipped back to me yesterday so it's back with me today.

The tech dealing with it kept me up to date all the way through.

Brilliant (apart from it breaking in the first place of course).

• 2 months later...

not_the_dj if you have other troubles with it I know a fella that's based in Sussex mate. Operates under the name of 12th Fret; very good tech, and it's all Gibson-authorised servicing. Got my own Traditional Pro II at his right at this very moment.

Just for info :)

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look good for the reliability of the push/push pots on my Trad Pro 2.

Bought new last September from Andertons (I'm in the UK) and during last Saturday's gig the neck pick-up pot failed, leaving it in the up (split) position. It just won't click in the down position meaning I'm stuck with it as a single coil [mad]

Anyway as it's within warranty Andertons are going to replace the pot (hopefully), but I'll always be worried that the others will go the same way.

I have used the neck coil split option quite a lot, I love the clean sound with the selector in the mid position, the bridge pick-up as a full humbucker and the neck split.

not_the_dj if you have other troubles with it I know a fella that's based in Sussex mate. Operates under the name of 12th Fret; very good tech, and it's all Gibson-authorised servicing. Got my own Traditional Pro II at his right at this very moment.

Just for info :)

Now this is going to sound ridiculous.

I sent my Traditional Pro II off to the mentioned 12th Fret technician. Had the action lowered, the neck set-up properly, a bridge adjustment, and some cleaning-up of the nut.

It came back last Monday (11th August) and then the Wendesday after the bridge volume push/push failed! It's now stuck in single-coil mode! ARGH! On the occasions I can get it to stick, the smallest movement or light knock will make it ping out again. Most frustrating; wish that it had happened while with the tech!

Called GAK as it's under warranty but they want me to send it off! They wouldn't allow me to just order a replacement part from the Netherlands Gibson service whatever. Wasn't happy about that...

Been having a look online for replacements and I found USA spec with the long shaft that would be ideal, although I'm tempted to switch them to push/pulls now, for a bit of reliability; although I'm not sure how that would tie-in with the boost circuit...? :unsure:

FML. ](*,)

Push/pull pots usually are very reliable, but pulling takes Speed Knobs in my opinion. Pulling Top Hat Knobs takes grasping them from under the rim with the fingernails which will mar the finish with time. Moreover, the risk of dropping a flatpick is worse than with Speed Knobs. I changed to these on all of my Les Paul guitars featuring push/pull pots.

My only guitar with a push/push pot is a Fender with an S1 switch. I hope it will last some years - experiences of pals with push/push pots over the years are no fine ones so to say.

Archived