Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

Most of my favourite guitarists have, or currently do play a Les Paul but the one that actually inspired me to get off my backside and part with the cash to buy one was Noel Gallagher.

Cheers Noel, I owe you one.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, now were getting into guitar players who might use a Les Paul, now and then,

as opposed to those who are KNOWN for using LP's primarily. With the "now and then"

criteria, ANY good/great player could be listed. Also, the original requirement

of this post, was your ONE (most favorite) LP Player, not 2, 3, 10 etc. This

is the problem, with these kinds of posts. To paraphrase the old "Lays Potato

Chip Ad: "Betcha can't pick Just One!" [flapper][biggrin]

It's interesting, too, that a LOT of Guitarist known to be primarily LP slingers,

at least for awhile, also use a Telecaster, or started out using a Tele, even more

than a Strat, or other model. Bloomfield, Page, Clapton, Beck (Esquire) etc.

CB

Well, thank you, I'm good at "the obvious," most of the time! [biggrin]

And, thread "free-for-all's" and derailments, are what threads are for,

aren't they? :rolleyes:[biggrin] At least, it seems so, here. I can't remember ONE,

that stayed on topic, the whole time I've been a member. Some don't

last more than one or two postings, before they're totally derailed.

But, as you say, that's ok, I guess? [biggrin]

CB

But, as you say, that's ok, I guess? [biggrin]

CB

The Rev. Billy Gibbons with the mighty Pearly Gates.

About 12 years ago I saw Buddy Guy in Chicago at his famous bar Buddy Guy's Legends.

Did he walk on stage slinging a Polka Dot Strat? No he did not.

A sunburst Strat ? No he did not.

A Gold Top Les Paul for the whole set. Let me tell you ~ he ripped that place to shreds.

I LOVED this thread and EVERYONE that participated. You are ALL a GREAT group of people.

Regards to all. MississippiBlue. Thanks Haphazard!!

You are very welcome, MB...here's one just for you ---

I went to see Mr. Les Paul on his birthday in 1999.

He played at a bar near Lincoln Center every Monday night for many years.

Haphazard,

That is AMAZING. The MAN himself. The LEGEND. You Sir, are very lucky.

Major props to you.

For those of us sling'n Les Pauls we SALUTE YOU!!

If I have to choose just one, I'll stray away from The Holy Grail of Peter Green and go with...

Danny Kirwan

But it really depends upon my mood and the moment. It could be any one of a number of my favorite players...

I would go with Peter Green. Huge influence on me. But, you gotta love Danny Kirwin. I love the "Future Games" album. I dig " Woman of a thousand years". RIP Bob Welch.

I would go with Peter Green. Huge influence on me. But, you gotta love Danny Kirwin. I love the "Future Games" album. I dig " Woman of a thousand years". RIP Bob Welch.

I'm with you on this one Slinky1. Peter Green's playing is very influential. To my ears, Danny Kirwan's playing had a subtle strength to it. Both GREAT choices. The haunting Albatross is sonic nirvana.

Regards,

MississippiBlue

All depends on who/what I'm listening to at the time....Could be anyone!

Can't pick one favorite, too many.....

If someone comes to me and says "here, I'm giving you my '59 Gold Top....well, that might place that person 1st?

:rolleyes:

(currently tho, it's GARY MOORE)

As we seem to be straying off the beaten path I'm going to add a name not often heard hereabouts but still one heck of a player; Eric Stewart of 10 C.C.

Not the flashiest LP-slinger on the planet, perhaps, but this solo is (IMHO) beautifully constructed and played with fantastic touch. Somewhat Gilmouresque, in fact.

Skip to the 9:14 mark for the start. Oddly enough I still remember the 'hairs-on-the-back-of-my-neck' tingle the first time I heard the note played at 11:18...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HcxhcSlTc4

As a point of trivia; the LP he used to record this was up for sale on ebay a couple of years ago. It was a very much modified '54 Custom.

Here's the original listing minus, unfortunately, the pictures. I don't know if it actually sold at this price.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

P.

Archived