Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

I have to wonder, and I dont mean do diss anyone for their favorites, but so many people say their favorites are "Page, Bloomfield, ect ect, guys that have been dead for years or havent done anything for years. Are they Really your favorites or do you just say so cuz someone else did or its a popularity thing? I'm 50, I cant stand to listen to Led Zepplin, Cant change the channel fast enuf. I'm a die hard Priest fan, so im a metal head, so I guess I've never really listened to the majority of these guys you name. So when I click on the Kossof links and so forth, I just dont hear the greatness you all seem to here, I just wonder Why you all think so?

Well I am 52 and Page is my favourite. I on the other hand can't stand Priest or Slayer but if people want to listen to them then fine go for it. But let us Zep fans listen to our music too. And metal would not have evolved if not for Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first of all Page isn't Dead! He may be, in your mind, but he's very much alive. Second, just because

we don't happen to list ALL our favorites, doesn't mean we don't like any beyond the one, or two, mentioned, dead or alive.

I'd say most of us here, have a LOT of "favorite" LP slingers. It's just that sometimes there's one, that comes to

mind quicker, because he/she may have been the first one, we became a fan of, or even our MOST favorite,

overall. Certainly doesn't mean we don't like/love other players, as well.

And, some here may be like me?...I go through "phases," even now, where I listen to a "favorite"

player for quite awhile. Then, move on to another one. But it doesn't mean I've stopped liking

or loving the others. Variety is GOOD!

You say you can't stand "Led Zeppelin," and can't change the channel fast enough? Some here, may feel

the same about "Metal?" But, SO WHAT! Listen to what YOU like, and allow us the same courtesy, without

questioning "Why!" "Greatness" isn't only measured in notes per measure, but in feeling, execution, taste,

and yes, overall creative longevity.

IMHO, as always...

CB

Yes I agree with you here and actually found the original poster rather insulting seeing how metal as boring as it is to some of us evolved from the likes of Zeppelin and Black Sabbath etc.

C'mon now, guys. The OP did not insult me. I think he was sincere with his questions. Curious is all...

I'd go a lot further and say I thought it was a very good question to ask. We should all know exactly why we think X, Y or Z is our favourite player.

I can understand why it might seem like a knee-jerk reaction to cite Page, Slash, PG, Clapton et al without really having given the question much thought.

Steve Gaines.

"I Know A Little".....Brilliant!

[thumbup]

P.

I would like to clearify my dislike for Zepplin. It's not the music I dont care for, its the voice. I just dont like Plants voice, so I don't really know how good Page is one way or another. Same with Ozzy, dont like his voice, so never could get into Sabbeth. If the voice isn't there, the music isn't there. Understand? I wasn't trying to raise trouble, just was wondering why everyone likes Page so much.

I listed Page because Led Zeppelin has been my favorite band since I was very young. I listed Zakk Wylde as my fav. LP player too because I have never heard the Les Paul shredded like he does. It's great to have a variety of people's opinions, like on this forum, and not that many people rip on others opinions. I hate that. Their are many many different genres of music for a reason and I never heard of most of the guitarists listed, but that's OK. Just different styles from my tastes and that's great. Zakk can play anything!!!! He has many classical style riffs, very heavy riffs, super fast riffs, Chicken' pickin', blues style at times, slide guitar and on and on. He can sweep all over the place, but says he doesn't in his songs because he says Yngwie Johan Malmsteen invented that and is the best, so why copy? He said the same about Eddie Van Halen with tapping saying he invented it and is the best, so he doesn't play what other's have made famous. He says his unique style is pickin every single note at the speed of light. Ozzy said Zakk's screaming harmonics are "His thing that will make him famous" when he was about 19 years old and hired to play with Ozzy. The dude is versatile!!!!

Zakk is by far best known for playing his Bullseye Les Paul signature. Sorry, I thought that was fairly common knowledge. I don't think your replying to my post though though as you can clearly see him playing a Les Paul in the video. I never mentioned his amp?

Zakk is by far best known for playing his Bullseye Les Paul signature. Sorry, I thought that was fairly common knowledge. I never mentioned his amp?

Sorry, Thunderous...

My post (above) was not directed at your's. Just a general fact, regarding some well known

players, in the past (Page, Clapton, Bloomfield, etc.) who were seen playing Les Paul's,

but had played Telecasters, on recordings that some thought were Les Paul's. Not disputing

their actual use, of a Les Paul, at some point. Or Marshall amps, either. But, recordings

can be quite deceiving. For just one example, Led Zeppelin I, and a lot of LZ II, were

recorded using a Telecaster, and Supro, or Vox amps (or, whatever else was around). The Les

Paul/Marshall combination was often used (more) "Live!"

It's all good, whatever was used. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Good point, CB...I was amazed when I found out that David Gilmour used an Esquire for the 'Animals' album. I thought it was a Strat!

Possibly just as amazed as I was when I learned DG used a '53/'55 style LP G-T to record the solo for "Another Brick in The Wall Pt. II".

There is a better clip out there somewhere but this is the best I can find tonight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22OeyKSKMw

P.

Possibly just as amazed as I was when I learned DG used a '53/'55 style LP G-T to record the solo for "Another Brick in The Wall Pt. II".

There is a better clip out there somewhere but this is the best I can find tonight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22OeyKSKMw

P.

Clip of Mr Gilmour playing that solo on a LP GT.

//Robert

This is one of the great things about this forum.

For almost 40 years I've always thought of Mick Box as an SG player because that's what he's playing (a Standard and a Special) in several snaps inside "Uriah Heep Live" which I bought c. 1975.

But no! I googled pics of him and from about '77(?) he's usually playing a Black Beauty. I also wiki'd the band. What a roller-coaster of a career...

Just for old-times' sakes I've put the vinyl on now. I'd forgotten just how much they sounded like Deep Purple.

See post # 170....

Hi pippy. I was a big Uriah Heep fan and saw them several times. I first saw him at a theatre in about '72. He played a Black Beauty and an SG with a Bigsby. They had the classic lineup with Gary Thain on Bass. Great show, I was just a teenager.

I loved Deep Purple too. The Hammond organs sounded really close, just add Les Pauls and Strats with cranked Marshalls for a great sound.

Cheers.

Hi pippy. I was a big Uriah Heep fan and saw them several times. I first saw him at a theatre in about '72. He played a Black Beauty and an SG with a Bigsby. They had the classic lineup with Gary Thain on Bass. Great show...

Hi back, R0Z.

It must have been great to see them when both Byron and Thain were in their lineup.

Unfortunately Thain had already been dead for a couple of years and Byron had recently been sacked by the time I was old enough to travel to gigs on my own.

I also much preferred the early albums.

I loved the 'Look at Yourself' and 'Demons and Wizards' type material so it was a bit of a shock to hear first 'Firefly' and then 'Innocent Victim'.

After these two disappointments I pretty much gave up on them. My loss, probably.

Nice to read in their wiki entry that they are still doing the rounds and are also about to release a new album!

P.

Hi back, R0Z.

It must have been great to see them when both Byron and Thain were in their lineup.

Unfortunately Thain had already been dead for a couple of years and Byron had recently been sacked by the time I was old enough to travel to gigs on my own.

I also much preferred the early albums.

I loved the 'Look at Yourself' and 'Demons and Wizards' type material so it was a bit of a shock to hear first 'Firefly' and then 'Innocent Victim'.

After these two disappointments I pretty much gave up on them. My loss, probably.

Nice to read in their wiki entry that they are still doing the rounds and are also about to release a new album!

P.

It was great seeing that lineup. It was the Look At Yourself tour, backup band was called Buckwheat. Strange choice.

I jumped ship after 'Demons and Wizards' too. Their first album and LAY were my two favourites. I knew they were capable of releasing music I didn't like though. Their second album 'Salisbury', was not to my liking at all. I still like the early stuff. Their flame shone brightly, but not for long.

Cheers,

R

Archived