Gibson Brands Forums

"Quick Connect" = Can´t connect?

Mr. C.O. Jones

I have purchased a week ago two new "Quick Connect" Pickups. Problem is they dont fit into my guitars PCB. Its a LPJ 2013 model, and the pickups i want to connect where made in 2012. Its a 57 Classic and a Angus Young Signature, and both have black 2 circuit Molex connectors but the 490R and 498T that are in my guitar right now have white 5 pin connectors. Now my question is are there adapters that can solve this problem? Because i have seen images and a video of adapters in the case of having just the oposite problem, PU with white 5 pin, and board with black connector. If there are, where can i buy some? And if not, i have researched and found out that this are all Molex connectors, so i thought maybe i could construct myself an adapter but i dont know where i have to put in the 2 wires in the 5 pin connector! Or maybe i could cut of the connectors from my 490R/498T and wire the connectors to the new Pickups, in this case wich of the 2 wires to wich color do i have to solder? I attach this pic i found in around the web so you can see te different connectors and the adapter (i would need the oposite adapter, this one would not solve my problem). Thanks a lot.

Got some news, customer care answered to my mail. They requested some infos about the purchase so they can help me.

Now i´m waiting again. I will keep you all informed when i know more about it, in case someone has the same problem as i do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues trying to put gibson pickups in an Epiphone.

At first glance the connectors looked the same but Gibson have said the Epiphone boards are different so the new pickups won't fit.

I'd be interested to hear if you got any more info on which connectors fit which boards / pickups etc.

Hello guys, i apreciate a lot your help. They sent me the adapters, but gues what..... the wrong ones. But i will not stop until i get the help i deserve as customer. I think the guys at gibson should know what kind of problems customers have because of that damn PCB boards. And thats the reason why i keep insisting to them to find a solution for my problem. I have to say at least the customer service is outstanding, i did not believe it, as a mail came that said that te guys of the Gear Division will send the adapters from Nashville to the Netherlands and from there to me in Spain. But they did. Now the guy from Customer Care Europe has told me that they where sorry and he will try to find another solution and contact me again. And thanks a lot Uncle Fred for the diagram, i newer saw one that explains it that good. Some day i will wire it 50´s style, because i want to learn how to do that but i first will try it on my cheaper Epi SG. I want to learn everything about my guitars because i do not trust to much in other peoples work. No one will treat my babys like i do, and its always cool to know how things work. So that´s it, the reason i insist that much to the Customer Care to find a solution for me is that Gibson took my hard earned money and gave me a guitar. But hidden inside was a PCB board, that i dont wanted. And i thought first ey cool idea, i order some Quick Connect pickups and change the factory pu´s (490R is not that bad but 498T i do not like). And the plastic pu caps do look not good on a Les Paul. I went to my dealer and he had only normal pu´s, no Quick Connect, but he told me that he could order them. Two weeks later they arived at the store. But then started all the connector issues and i thought ok i payd and waited for Quick Connect now i will get Quick Connect. It would be another story if i wanted to upgrade my guitar and would buy all the stuff to wire it traditional, but if you sell Cyberguitars at least you should warn the customer. Only one cuestion more, where goes the grounding wire to te bridge or stopbar? Its the only thing that i dont undestand. Thank´s again.

And to you Black Antonio, there are 3 options:

1. If you insist enough to Customer Care maybe they will do something about.

2. Gibson pickups and boards use molex adapters find out wich fits into your guitar and change them or build yourself an adapter.

3. And this is what i think is the best solution wire it 50´s style like the others said.

I did not do it because of the reasons i´d explained earlier but i think its better to go traditional. I researched the web for info and i think my guitar even would sound better with some bumblebees and 500 k pots. Someday i will wire it 50´s anyway.

Ok bro, thanks again but maybe i don't explained good what i mean. I don't know how the grounding wire is connected. I researched a bit and found out that it's connected to the bridge stud. But is it soldered there or what? Should i simpli cut it the closest i can to the PCB so that i later can solder it to the pot? I'm sorry if i break balls but like i said it will be the first time for me and i wanna do it right. Thanks again.

I´m getting realy frustrated about this issue. Don´t know how long i will keep fighting for a solution from Gibson. Maybe i should pack the tech-boy crap into a box and send it back to Gibson like donny said, but in exchange for all i need to wire it 50´s. Its not my fault that they put this crap into my guitar. But i don´t think they would do that. Well i will keep you updated when there are some news.

Ok, it is done. They told me there is no adapter that can make it work for me. They sent me a complete new PCB board, i already installed everything and it works perfectly. Very very good customer care service. But Gibson should rethink the whole quick connect system. Two months for a pickup swap is not realy quick! But now that everything works i am pretty happy with the results. 57 Classic with Angus Young Signature sounds incredible in this guitar. I did not expect that much difference, because compairing output (57/AY vs. 490R/498T) its almost identical. I hope this topic can help others with this kind of problem.

Archived