Gibson Brands Forums

How Many Were Made? Info Source?

Codeseven

Just out of curiosity I'd like to find out how many of my Benchmark Limited Pelham Blue Custom Shop 336's were made. I'm assuming 'Limited' means, well, limited to a certain number made. I've seen just a few of these for sale and don't recall seeing those that were sold replaced by new ones. I don't know if they were made in a single production year either.

Is there a source I can go to in order to find this info? Maybe an e-mail to Gibson?

You will never find out this information. Gibson production numbers are not public domain. Unless the guitar is a REAL "Limited Edition" advertised as X of XXX (and that can change if sales are good), Gibson will not publish production numbers (nor should they).

Basically, production numbers of "oddball" models/finishes is whatever they can sell.

Along with what Larry said, the "limited" production may be for one or 2 specific dealers and not all dealers. Those dealers would not want others knowing production numbers. You may be able to get some info from the dealer that sold the guitar if it was purchased new.

Along with what Larry said, the "limited" production may be for one or 2 specific dealers and not all dealers. Those dealers would not want others knowing production numbers. You may be able to get some info from the dealer that sold the guitar if it was purchased new.

Thans.

I may just be over thinking the 'Limited' part a bit, kinda hoping I have something more special than it is ;) I bought it from Wildwood Guitars but have seen the same model available (in small numbers) at probably five other internet dealers.

The serial number is a bit of a mystery to me, it's CS301118 (on the back of the headstock), is there a year of manufacture in there? Maybe January 2013? Then I would assume that would leave the last three digits as production numbers, as in the 118th of this model/color/configuration to be made. I looked inside the sound holes and don't see an obvious manufacture sticker but maybe CS guitars don't have one?

Looking at the Youtube video info it says,

Published on Aug 26, 2013

The Benchmark Series from the Gibson Custom Shop is a celebration of a relationship between Wildwood Guitars and the Gibson Custom Shop that has grown over the years. Exclusive to only Wildwood and a few other specialty retailers, the Benchmark series represents the cream of the crop of Gibson Guitars. Check them out!'

Archived