Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Serial Number Confusion

I purchased a 2014 LP Traditional Goldtop from a lot that Sweetwater had. I picked the one I did, due to the wood on the back of the guitar being better looking (just opinion). The serial number was dramatically different on this guitar than the others in the group and I would like to know what it means and why it doesn't conform to Gibson's docs on the serial number page. The others had serial numbers starting with 1xxx4 where the xxx was a reasonable julian date value. Mine starts out 14001 which would appear to have 14 as the year in the first two positions, and the 001 as the julian (which is a highly unlikely value for a julian). The last four digits on the others also seemed reasonable and in keeping with the Gibson serial number page. My last four digits are 8s, 9s, and a 2 arranged in such a way that it can't possibly represent any order of production in a day (the numbers would be too high), or a factory designator. Mine is 140018892. I thought one possibility is that it was an extra body from an earlier production run of P90 gold tops used to fill the quota for this run. While that is a "romantically" cool idea I'd prefer to hold, I'd like to know the actual reason.

I guess the question is, why would a single 2014 LP Traditional have such a different serial number, even when compared to it's stable mates with the exact same appointments. The only actual difference was the Bigsby on mine has the Patented... lettering blacked out while the others had the cast letter tops exposed to bare metal (that was another thing I preferred about this unit). This seemed to suggest the Bigsby also may be from a different production run from that company.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I love the guitar, a P90 gold top is something I've always wanted, but I am curious.

I think 2014 models have a new serial number system and maybe the other gold tops at Sweetwater are 2013's.

I had not considered to look that up. That makes mine number 18892 made in 2014. The curious thing was that the others were 13xx4 which would work for either scheme. Perhaps that serial number change went into effect late last year making 2013 guitars a mixture of the methods. Thank you, I think that clears it up.

I just realized that there is an additional anomaly. Since this serial number is definitely a 2014, why would it not have a 120th year inlay. Has that been suspended? None of the instruments in this lot had them from the photos. Additionally, I've gone over Gibsons 2014 offerings, and there are no Traditional Gold Top P90s offered.

I just realized that there is an additional anomaly. Since this serial number is definitely a 2014, why would it not have a 120th year inlay. Has that been suspended? None of the instruments in this lot had them from the photos. Additionally, I've gone over Gibsons 2014 offerings, and there are no Traditional Gold Top P90s offered.

Certain models and I think the traditional is included, do not have the 120th year inlay. Be happy :D

Certain models and I think the traditional is included, do not have the 120th year inlay. Be happy :D

No, the 2014 Traditional has the 120th inlay. I'm not sure what's up with those new models with the Bigsby tremolo. I've never seen those before now. Another thing about them is that they seem to be weight relieved and the Traditional's are not and have not been for the last two years.

No, the 2014 Traditional has the 120th inlay. I'm not sure what's up with those new models with the Bigsby tremolo. I've never seen those before now. Another thing about them is that they seem to be weight relieved and the Traditional's are not and have not been for the last two years.

Yes, they seem to be strange birds. They also have the slim neck which I actually prefer. Every Traditional Gold Top P90 unit I could find information on, had the 50s neck. It's as if this lot of guitars departed from what a Traditional would be. I didn't care because it was exactly the options I wanted even if it doesn't turn out to be a true Traditional. But it also led me here to find out more, I'd like to know what it really is and why they were made. Initially I thought they might be a special order by Sweetwater, but I found one at Wildewood too.

You mention the 2014 Traditional, I could find no 2014 Gold Top Traditionals in Gibson's line-up? These guitars and one at Wildewood are the only proof I could find that they made them this year.

Is it still possible to contact Gibson by email to get details? I was led to the forums by the Serial page.

Yes, I am happy about not having the 120th fret inlay, not that I would mind it, it's just more timeless without it.

Yes, they seem to be strange birds. They also have the slim neck which I actually prefer. Every Traditional Gold Top P90 unit I could find information on, had the 50s neck. It's as if this lot of guitars departed from what a Traditional would be. I didn't care because it was exactly the options I wanted even if it doesn't turn out to be a true Traditional. But it also led me here to find out more, I'd like to know what it really is and why they were made. Initially I thought they might be a special order by Sweetwater, but I found one at Wildewood too.

You mention the 2014 Traditional, I could find no 2014 Gold Top Traditionals in Gibson's line-up? These guitars and one at Wildewood are the only proof I could find that they made them this year.

Is it still possible to contact Gibson by email to get details? I was led to the forums by the Serial page.

Yes, I am happy about not having the 120th fret inlay, not that I would mind it, it's just more timeless without it.

There is no gold top Traditional for 2014. I'm not even sure if there was one for 2013. That inlay at the 12th fret really is not as bad as it looks in some of the pictures. You barely even notice it when you're playing it.

There even are 2014 model guitars with serial numbers starting 14000xxx. Perhaps they decided to number 2014 model instruments made during late 2013 starting with 14000 and switched to 14001 after running short of 14000 numbers.

Is it still possible to email Gibson and get more detailed information, or does this forum replace that customer service function? It certainly won't improve the playability or tone, but it would be rather cool to have the details on any oddity it represents.

• 2 years later...

Dude I've seen one 2014 gibson les paul studio that also got no 120 anniversary inlay, check out this website:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/19750/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Pro-Electric-Guitar-Tobacco-Sunburst/

The serial number is 140074416 which means it's the 7th guitar that came out on that year.

I'm actually planning to buy this one but I'm not very sure and waiting for Gibson's reply.

So have you ask Gibson about the no inlay issue on your LP traditional? What did they say?

Archived