Gibson Brands Forums

Min-etune won't turn

werdna

I bought a second hand but brand new min-etune system off ebay from someone who didn't like it on his new SG. After installation, it worked well for about 100 tunings/one week. Then I noticed it had a problem. It was half completing a tuning, but would not complete the treble strings G, B and E. After waiting for it to switch off, I tried moving the tuning pegs manually. E and B move, but D had limited range of about 90 degrees of a turn, so that it wouldn't move up or down beyond a certain point. It appears to have seized. In the end I tried forcing it, at which time it broke and now turns around and around without engaging the gears inside. When I tried tuning electronically, it had the same problem as before - G, B and E wouldn't tune. I wondered whether B and E were broken too, even though they can be manually turned. On the other hand, I thought that the system may tune each string consecutively which would mean that if G doesn't work, neither does B and E.

Should I just buy one treble tuning peg to replace that on the G string? Or might B and E also have problems, even though they don't appear to be seized, since they won't tune electronically?

I hope some of you can help please.

• 2 months later...

I just recently bought a brand new Les Paul Standard with the mini etune.I enjoy it at first then the second week I had the d peg broke right in the middle of a show.I returned it the tech look at it and thought it was just a string problem. I left him to work on it came back and he said no it's broken.I went out on the siren floor and grab I ended up leaving my love all there and grabbing a lot paul plus of the wall and taking it home. I kind of made out like a banditI got an upgrade to the plus model with locking Grover tuners.it's a great concept but obviously if it won't last 20 days without breaking I wouldn't recommend it.the funny thing is I bought a honey burst traditional and didn't like the plain brown back and I really wanted a heritage cherry burst anywayso they ordered me heritage jerry sunburstand it turned out to be the wrong guitar when I got thereso they let me take a Les Paul Standard heritage cherry sunburst off the walland then that many tune brokeand I ended up with a Les Paul plus top.in the end I started with a traditionalthen got a heritage standard for no more moneythe mini Tuner broke and I am now the proud owner of a plus topwithout spending an extra dime

Archived