Gibson Brands Forums

Factory installed pu's

RalleP

Hi. I'm new here... looks like a good place to be...

I would like to get a 498t for my LP 1960 Classic ( 2006 ); wich has the 500t... it sounds good, but I got a shot at trying a 498t in a Custom Shop LP that has about the same weight as my Classic. I guess the CS lp has a maple top as mine has... and I was blown away how rich, raw and full it sounded with the 498t pu ( I play in a 1967 plexi )

My first question is:

The factory installed pu's by Gibson has two conductors ( shielded ), where the ones you buy sepparatly has four conductors...

Is it possible to buy a new 498t with two conductors?

Could it be any sound differences between a two con. and a four con. pu of the same model?

Thanx in advance

Ralle

I have a LP standard with 490r/498t.. I am pretty sure it's 4 conductor wiring.

not exactly an expert, but I am not sure there would be much of a tone difference. the other wires AFAIK are to wire up coil splitting and phasing options so if you're not using them, I guess it wouldn't matter?

I would like them to make all their pickups in non-historic instruments four conductor wired. This allows for all the wiring options used e. g. by Jimmy Page and Frank Zappa already several decades ago, but without the need for disassembly.

In combination with the thick core wire, the braided textile isolation has a fairly high capacitance which further depends on humidity. Given a Les Paul guitar with all the wiring done this way, there are typically 300pF dry and 1200pF wet.

For comparison: The wiring capacitance with four-conductor pickups and plastic isolated cables for connecting the toggle switch are below 150pF typically, regardless of humidity. In case you want it darker and muddier, you may add proper capacitors. On the other hand, you can't get a brighter and clearer tone out of a guitar with the old-fashioned textile isolated cables.

Typical high-quality guitar cables of about 6m or 20ft length are around 600pF self capacitance.

Archived