Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Rant - ES139 Comes With Gig Bag?

RevDavidLee

I was seriously giving this model a look last night on the internet and while reading down the specs list - I saw something I shouldn't be seeing (in my humble opinion) on a $1600 Gibson guitar: "Comes with Gig Bag". WTF? And I know there are other high priced Gibson guitars that also "come with a gig bag". Cheap SOB's [cursing]

And what's worse is that they don't even offer a case that you can buy separately for some of these models if you were so inclined. Why make a guitar in these price ranges that either don't include a hard case (for the gigging musician) or at least one you can buy separately if you prefer to store your expensive guitars in protective enclosures? This makes no sense to me and I'm guessing here, but I would think it would also affect sales of those specific models. Who makes these goofy decisions over there? Give me a name [cursing]

Sorry for the rant (not really). [thumbdn]

I would not discount buying one of these just because it comes with a bag instead of a hard case. The es139 fits beautifully in an Epiphone es339 hard case. I bought one of these at GC on clearance for $960.00, and it has become one of my favorites. Let me start by saying that the guitar was horribly set up by the factory. The fit and finish on these guitars was mediocre at best. I tried the two they had at GC , and the neck on one of them would not adjust properly. The one I bought had a good neck but the neck p/u wouldn't float because it was mounted a fraction of an inch too close to the neck(easily fixed). That being said, these guitars sound fantastic! I have Les pauls and a 335. This guitar has its own unique tone. A bit like a Les Paul but more open and present sounding. Better sounding than a 335 for jazz IMHO, and a killer blues guitar. But.......they flopped. There are about ten on ebay, most of which are returns to Musicians friend and music 123. The simplicity of these guitars probably turned some players off. The headstock has only Gibson in silk screen on it, and only one each of volume and tone controls. Beautifully simple.

That's an insult to play that much for a Gibson at that price, when a $762. Gibson SG Spl. Bass comes with a hardshell case. And I thought Fender was out to lunch! 9CUdNxP.gif That's pretty damn cheap!

I bet you could negotiate with a seller to throw in a hard case if you wanted.

Of course you could. Or just negotiate the lowest price and buy a case yourself. I got a spotless Gibson SG case at a guitar show last year for $40 US.

Don't like gig bags, too. Except most of my Fenders, all of my instruments, including all of my Gibsons which started at EUR 739.00, came stock with a hardcase. Just one of my Fenders came including hardcase, some featuring a gig bag <_< , most of them no cover at all. [thumbdn] I decided to buy dedicated hardcases for all of them.

In my opinion, the manufacturers should offer all of their instruments including case. They should try to suppose that fine guitars and basses are worthy to us players and held in high regard.

Perhaps finding out that a missing hardshell case can be a dealbreaker to potential buyers would change their mind. There's more than one fish in the ocean. [rolleyes]

This makes no sense to me. I bet you could negotiate with a seller to throw in a hard case if you wanted.

Well I thought about that but when I tried the much touted "Case Finder" on Musicians Friend it didn't even list the ES-139 as an option so I just assumed that meant they didn't have a case for it. I don't understand their thought processes at all. ](*,)

I would not discount buying one of these just because it comes with a bag instead of a hard case. The es139 fits beautifully in an Epiphone es339 hard case. I bought one of these at GC on clearance for $960.00, and it has become one of my favorites...

Wow. You got a hell of a buy on that one [thumbup]

No Vintage brand guitars; V100 Les Paul Copies, come with a case or even a gig bag. It's up to the buyer to hose the axe however they want...

I'm a little stunned by this as I'd purchase a Vintage/Wilkinson hard case in a heartbeat to put them in, but none exist... I have to go aftermarket for a case...

I think it is specific purchase deals by the big sellers that put these Gibson axes out there without an included case. I don't think I'd be blaming Gibson, I think I'd be blaming MF/Sweetwater/ZZounds/AMS/Music Zoo or whomever for such an issue. They're the ones selling it that way...

It looks like the 139 was an exclusive or special run for Musicians Friend/Guitar Center. Gibson works out the specs for those guitars with those guys, so it may be that MF decided to provide a gig bag to keep the cost down.

Just thinking it was less a Gibson decision and more a decision by the retailer.

Don't kill me but I think it makes sense. I mean airlines charge so much that used to be free (I'm sure they'll put a quarter slot on the bathroom soon).

Strat specials, American made, come with gig bags. Easier to travel with and I think the biggest reason is for Gibson to make the end sale price that much cheaper to compete with the Fenders out there. Haven't they been saying something along the lines of our quality, their prices?

Doesn't bother me Rev but that's me.

I would not discount buying one of these just because it comes with a bag instead of a hard case. The es139 fits beautifully in an Epiphone es339 hard case...

I thought you should know that Musicians Friend is quoting you as a reference! I emailed them asking why, under their "case finder" that it doesn't allow me to select the ES-139 as an option when trying to find a case, there response was that they read on some forums that "The es139 fits beautifully in an Epiphone es339 hard case" and then went on to say they have those in stock. LMAO [biggrin]

I mean wtf kind of technical expertise is that? Don't get me wrong brother - I trust you know what you're talking about. But I find it almost incredulous that Musicians Friend would quote some guy off a forum on the internet to answer a technical question for me. I mean seriously, what if you were some crack head that had no idea what you were talking about? Now I'm going to have to wonder from this point forward where the Musicians Friend "Gear Heads" are getting their answers from when I submit a question. Ha ha ha hahahahahahaha.

Seriously though, they should pay you a consultant fee. [thumbup]

I thought you should know that Musicians Friend is quoting you as a reference! I emailed them asking why, under their "case finder" that it doesn't allow me to select the ES-139 as an option when trying to find a case, there response was that they read on some forums that "The es139 fits beautifully in an Epiphone es339 hard case" and then went on to say they have those in stock. LMAO [biggrin]

I mean wtf kind of technical expertise is that? Don't get me wrong brother - I trust you know what you're talking about. But I find it almost incredulous that Musicians Friend would quote some guy off a forum on the internet to answer a technical question for me. I mean seriously, what if you were some crack head that had no idea what you were talking about? Now I'm going to have to wonder from this point forward where the Musicians Friend "Gear Heads" are getting their answers from when I submit a question. Ha ha ha hahahahahahaha.

Seriously though, they should pay you a consultant fee. [thumbup]

Maybe, they already do???! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I guess those folks at MF never tried to find out what case might fit an es-139. Might point really is this. If you really like a guitar that fits your needs and appeals to you, buy it and save up for a hard case. The right guitar without a case is better than the wrong guitar with a hard case. As far as the consulting fee, some other guy deserves it. The guy I got the tip about the case from. By the way, there are a few of these on ebay for under $1000.00 and lot's of new ones(purchase returns) for $1275.00.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I`ve just come across this guitar, giving me a serious GAS. Youtube videos only poured oil on the fire.

Anyways...Thomann in Germany was unhappy with the gigbag too - as it seems, and they sell it with a "Gibson" silk-screened case of unknown origin.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es_139_vsb.htm

Cheers... Bence

ES-139, VS, New, in a case, 875 or so clearance, Guitar Center Brookfield Wisconsin. Might still be there if anyone interested. Saw it while picking up a case in there.

rct

Hello!

I`ve just come across this guitar, giving me a serious GAS. Youtube videos only poured oil on the fire.

Anyways...Thomann in Germany was unhappy with the gigbag too - as it seems, and they sell it with a "Gibson" silk-screened case of unknown origin.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es_139_vsb.htm

Cheers... Bence

Damn - nice find, too nice... [crying]

ES-139, VS, New, in a case, 875 or so clearance, Guitar Center Brookfield Wisconsin. Might still be there if anyone interested. Saw it while picking up a case in there.

rct

I actually called that store after you posted that and they didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Or at least the guy that answered the phone said they didn't have any in the store and lectured me about that price and was pretty emphatic that even if they had a used one in stock it wouldn't have gone for that cheap. I dunno what happened there but I told the guy the reason I was calling was that someone had posted this information and that I was calling to purchase it. I wanted to choke him but I would have had to drive to Wisconsin and I was busy [biggrin]

I actually called that store after you posted that and they didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Or at least the guy that answered the phone said they didn't have any in the store and lectured me about that price and was pretty emphatic that even if they had a used one in stock it wouldn't have gone for that cheap. I dunno what happened there but I told the guy the reason I was calling was that someone had posted this information and that I was calling to purchase it. I wanted to choke him but I would have had to drive to Wisconsin and I was busy [biggrin]

Wish you had written that then, I can tell you where it was hanging, wouldn't have been hard to find at all for him. Walk in the door, look left, walk past the 'spensive high hanging guitars on the left, just before you make a right to the restrooms, look on the wall just before the turn. Couple Epiphone big box jazzers, one Epi 339, maybe couple others, and that 139. I believe tag said 890, but it may have been 875. Listed some features, with case, Clearance Priced. I sat down with it for 5 minutes. I sincerely almost bought it, but I had already bought two guitars elsewhere! I'm the guy that brought in the Esquire and picked up a spiffity tweed case for it and left a brand new TKL gig bag on the counter for them. I wouldn't yank anyones chain about a guitar they are looking for because I would hate that done to me!

rct

Wish you had written that then, I can tell you where it was hanging, wouldn't have been hard to find at all for him. Walk in the door, look left, walk past the 'spensive high hanging guitars on the left, just before you make a right to the restrooms, look on the wall just before the turn. Couple Epiphone big box jazzers, one Epi 339, maybe couple others, and that 139. I believe tag said 890, but it may have been 875. Listed some features, with case, Clearance Priced. I sat down with it for 5 minutes. I sincerely almost bought it, but I had already bought two guitars elsewhere! I'm the guy that brought in the Esquire and picked up a spiffity tweed case for it and left a brand new TKL gig bag on the counter for them. I wouldn't yank anyones chain about a guitar they are looking for because I would hate that done to me!

rct

Sorry I didn't mean to imply you were yanking my chain - didn't think that for a minute Sir! I was upset that the dork I was talking to didn't even know what was in the store for sale, or that he didn't even check with anyone else to see if they knew about it since I told him I was calling from out of state. And when he started lecturing me about the prices of Gibson guitars like I didn't know what I was talking about - I lost interest in talking to him any further. Maybe the dork wanted it for himself. We'll never know [cursing]

Thanks for trying to help a brother out rct - I appreciate it!!! [thumbup]

FYI - I just sent a scorching email to the store manager Scott L. I told him what happened and quoted your information as to the location of the ES-139 in his store and asked him to call me on my cell phone tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated. B)

Archived