Gibson Brands Forums

Shout out for Bob Burns!

archtop tom

I often see Gibson customer service getting slagged in various spots around the Internet - and I feel for those who've actually been done over or under-served - but I wanted to post this story to bring balance back to the universe. I'd been on the hunt for an EH-150 amplifier of a nice vintage in anticipation of getting my ES-125 a month ago. A beauty slipped by me in Lancing and I thought I was in a for the long haul when I came across one a 1941 in Portland. Funny thing was it didn't quite match any found in in-depth research on the Internet and I started getting suspicious. the stripe motif and logo placement on the front were entirely different as was the color of tweed and the Gibson script stamp on the back control panel had been moved from the right side to the left. Strangest of all, while all the other models looked essentially consistent, I could find no other model anywhere that matched this one. I was making up all sorts of counterfiet conspiracy theories in my head and decided my last recourse was Gibson customer serrvice... on a Satuday. The shop was getting justifiably impatient holding it and starting to put the pressure on and I explained this to a very calm kind-voiced man named Bob Burns who answered the phone. He asked if I could send any photos and numbers and he would see what he could find - when did I need to know? "Well, that's the thing Bob, kind of soon." "Okay, hopefully I can find something out in 24 hours." And what are the chances of calling me back on a Sunday, I thought. Got back on the phone pleading my case to the shop who understood my concern, when the first mail came through: a scan of a catalog from 1941 showing matching back panel, but still not the front. 30 minutes later another email: "Based on the numbers and photos you provided it looks like this is indeed an authentic Gibson product. This particular amplifier was mad in August 1941, the last of its kind before Gibson stopped production for the war effort." And the rest, as they sat, is history. The amp is on its way and Bob will forever be a part of its legacy. I may just have your name tatooed on my bicep. Or maybe just a nice thank you card. Thanks Bob and thanks Gibson; I finally feel part of the fold.

post-65277-069180800 1401574014_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Bob is the best,he is here for the customer and he has made me a long term Gibson customer,really represents Gibson in a positive way,he really went the extra mile for me on my warranty issue

Archived