Gibson Brands Forums

K&K Pure Mini

onewilyfool

This has been discussed many times, but I can truly say it's far and away the best, most natural sounding pickup I've ever used and have K&K in all my guitars except my new J-35. And it won't be long until the J-35's Baggs will be replaced with either a K&K or JJB. The K&K is minimally invasive with nothing sitting under the saddle. Simple and clean. As a passive system (no onboard batteries), the K&K has plenty of gain for general use, but for large venues, concerts, etc, I use mine with the K&K preamps and a DI.

However your guitar sounds, the K&K will amplify that natural acoustic sound without the electronic sound of USTs, sound hole pickups, etc. They're very affordable and not difficult to install. The most difficult thing about installing a K&K is drilling the out the endpin hole for the jack.

DC

I have K&K Tiniti Mini installed in my SJ 200, in my J 35 and in my Guils D 55.

This is the best plugged in natural acoustic sound that I have ever heared.

The preamp is not onboard and so the battery is not into the guitar body - that's perfect for me.

There is a K&K pickup under the bridge (inside the guitar) and one condenser microphone inside the guitar.

The preamp has two knobs to amplify both signals independently one from the other and I love that.

I plan to install this system in two other of my instruments - into my replica of Martin 0028 and into the

new fingerstyle guitar that my luthier builds for me in that moment.

I strongly recommend the K&K Triniti Mini system to everyone in this forum.

I had a 000-28EC with the K&K that I really liked.

You may want to check out the Trance system also. I have one in my Jackson Browne and another one that I'm trying to decide where to put it.

On another guitar I recently got, because of my limited options, I chose the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend. I'm really impressed with this system too.

Bottom line - there's a lot of nice systems out there

From a cost perspective, with the Trance system, depending on which one, you're looking at ~$280-$550. Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend...~$250...and a UST system with pickup under the saddle. K&K Pure Mini...$90 and minus all the onboard circuit boards and electronics while still achieving a great, natural acoustic sound. If you need the external preamp, it's $85. So you'd have ~$175 plus shipping invested. Just putting the cost factors out there for comparison.

DC

From a cost perspective, with the Trance system, depending on which one, you're looking at ~$280-$550. Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend...~$250...and a UST system with pickup under the saddle. K&K Pure Mini...$90 and minus all the onboard circuit boards and electronics while still achieving a great, natural acoustic sound. If you need the external preamp, it's $85. So you'd have ~$175 plus shipping invested. Just putting the cost factors out there for comparison.

DC

Have you listened to any of the other systems? Sometimes an extra $100 can get you something special. What I like about the Blend is it's versatility. You can just use the mic and get the same result as the K&K and move it around the same way for different results or you can switch to the under saddle or you can blend them. Comes in handy for different output if you're strummin' or pickin'. The Trance is a little more pricey and it blows the other systems away as far as reproducing pure acoustic sound. I have the pricier one in the JB. The other one I have I bought off the UMGF forum at a nice price. It's the Trance Audio Amulet MVT . I'm think about putting it in my J185.

I'm liking the Ellipse Aura that comes on some of the Gibson's like my J200 Custom. These systems are modeled/programmed for the specific guitar it is being installed on at the factory. They're very versatile. I would never add on one of these because of the programming. I checked into one of these on a custom I had built but the cost was thru the roof because the builder said he would have to send the guitar to the Fishman factory to get it programmed to do it right.

Keep your options open. If I had the same pickup in every guitar it would be boring for me. Maury's does a nice job of putting videos of different pickups in different guitars, mostly Martins.

I have a K&K Pure Mini in my TV Southerner Jumbo, and I play it through a Fishman Loudbox. I like it a lot, and it does not sound 'quacky' at all. Sounds better than the Fishman Matrix Infinity under saddle I used to have. And, it sounds better than the Fishman Neo (sound-hole magnetic unit). I like the fact that it is passive, and does not have any added electronics/battery in the guitar. Signal is plenty strong for the Loudbox preamps to handle. I don't gig so there is no feedback issues at all. I went with the vintage style end-jack that takes 1/8" plugs. Weird size, but it works for me and keeps a nice "un-modded" look to the TV.

If I do another high-end Gibson, I'll go with another K&K Pure Mini.

my 2¢

I have a K&K Pure Mini in my TV Southerner Jumbo, and I play it through a Fishman Loudbox. I like it a lot, and it does not sound 'quacky' at all. Sounds better than the Fishman Matrix Infinity under saddle I used to have. And, it sounds better than the Fishman Neo (sound-hole magnetic unit). I like the fact that it is passive, and does not have any added electronics/battery in the guitar. Signal is plenty strong for the Loudbox preamps to handle. I don't gig so there is no feedback issues at all. I went with the vintage style end-jack that takes 1/8" plugs. Weird size, but it works for me and keeps a nice "un-modded" look to the TV.

If I do another high-end Gibson, I'll go with another K&K Pure Mini.

my 2¢

Where can you get the 1/8" plugs. I'd like a couple of those.

How about in an open mic situation?

I have a LR Baggs Element in my J160-E for acoustic alternative. I'm getting feedback because of the monitor in front of me. That's what I'm told.

Would a K&K be more or less feedback resistant?

How about in an open mic situation?

I have a LR Baggs Element in my J160-E for acoustic alternative. I'm getting feedback because of the monitor in front of me. That's what I'm told.

Would a K&K be more or less feedback resistant?

I've played many large venues with my Irish band and have never had feedback issues with my K&K system guitars or bouzouki. However, if you're located very close to the monitors and depending on how they're positioned, stage setup, etc, you can have feedback issues with nearly any system...and from the mic, especially if it's a simple cardioid type mic with a wide pattern. If it's the guitar, you can try a feedback buster placed in the sound hole, which will usually eliminate feedback. However, one of the MANY things I dislike about the Element system is the volume control in the sound hole which can present problems placing a feedback buster. Most players simply cut out a notch in the rubber to accommodate the vol control knob.

DC

Does the K&K pure mini need one of those K&K belt mounted pre-amps, or is it a stand-alone passive pickup? Can it go directly into the amp?

Hey Wiley. I believe I answered this in my first post: "The K&K is minimally invasive with nothing sitting under the saddle. Simple and clean. As a passive system (no onboard batteries), the K&K has plenty of gain for general use, but for large venues, concerts, etc, I use mine with the K&K preamps and DIs."

Bottom line, yes, it can go directly into the amp and if you're running through a Loudbox or something similar for small venues, you won't need the external preamp. The pickup has a surprising amount of gain as a stand-alone. However, I've found the preamp provides a cleaner, obviously stronger, more focused and balanced tone in any situation, and necessary when playing through larger systems and FOH systems in large venues...concerts, large festivals, etc. I like the preamps for fine-tuning the EQ as well.

DC

Does the K&K pure mini need one of those K&K belt mounted pre-amps, or is it a stand-alone passive pickup? Can it go directly into the amp?

It can go straight into an amp, no preamp is required. I think the K&K preamp helps where you use a DI and need to bring the signal up closer to line level. Most guitar amps can deal with the raw pick-up signal. The Loudbox amps surely can.

However, one of the MANY things I dislike about the Element system is the volume control in the sound hole which can present problems placing a feedback buster. Most players simply cut out a notch in the rubber to accommodate the vol control knob.

DC

I got a feedback buster and haven't tried to mangle it yet :) I've been using my 2001 Taylor with the Fishman Prefix Blender. I work okay but still a little feedback !

I have the prephase preamp + k&k mini with volume wheel in my Guild JF-30 and I have been happy with since day one. The battery mounted inside on the neck block does add a little weight to the guitar but the guitar was already heavy to begin with.

I have K&K minis on several guitars and have been very pleased with them in every case. Typically play straight into a standard DI with no problems. I use an Orchid Electronics (British)preamp when needed, but that has been very rare.

Hey Wiley. I believe I answered this in my first post: "The K&K is minimally invasive with nothing sitting under the saddle. Simple and clean. As a passive system (no onboard batteries), the K&K has plenty of gain for general use, but for large venues, concerts, etc, I use mine with the K&K preamps and DIs."

Bottom line, yes, it can go directly into the amp and if you're running through a Loudbox or something similar for small venues, you won't need the external preamp. The pickup has a surprising amount of gain as a stand-alone. However, I've found the preamp provides a cleaner, obviously stronger, more focused and balanced tone in any situation, and necessary when playing through larger systems and FOH systems in large venues...concerts, large festivals, etc. I like the preamps for fine-tuning the EQ as well.

DC

DRC I actually have a K&K pre-amp pickup in another guitar which fits on my belt…I will try it both ways!! Thanks for the info!!

I have 3 trance Audio Amulets to my ears the sound is that much better then a under saddle pu no more quack. I just. Traded my Fishstick SA220 for a Bose model II and coupled with the amulet it has that mic'ed sound with zero of the placement/ feedback issues of a microphone , amulets cost more but they are worth it if you want the best sound.jmho based on how my ears hear my guitars when I play them......your mileage may vary.

I have two guitars with KandK minis of sorts in them. One is a pure arch top model, so not quite a mini but the same transducer, just a pair instead of 3. At any rate, I have different findings from some of what I see in the thread. I do not find they have ample gain without a preamp, and I did not have much success with the KandK preamp either as I found it had to be pushed to the hilt on the tone buttons to give me the signal I wanted.

How I make my KandK pickups work is I use a tube preamp from ART (inexpensive) to provide the gain and warmth then go through a loud box or my SA220 to the audience. I have also used the KandK pickups through a Fishman Aura pedal and that has produced some useful results, though a bit "airy" is how I would describe it. I prefer a fairly tight sound if it can be achieved.

The KandK transducers are much better than things like the IBeam from Baggs, but I still think there are better ways to reproduce acoustic sound through a PA, like quality pencil condensers, but it is not always easy to play still in front of a mic and it is not always reasonable to set up a mic in a venue where lots of air movement and other issues can give you feedback problems.

I like the KandK product line, but I do not find as much success with them as I do with a piezo and good outboard options. The Fishman Aura pedal, for example, provides a blend of your piezo and a mic model (which you can specifically download if you don't like the presets) that sounds a bit processed but still very balanced through an amp or PA. The standard pickup in my 2011 J45 through this setup works wonders.

• 2 weeks later...

DC

DC.......can I run a looper without a pre-amp for the K&K Mini?

Archived