Gibson Brands Forums

1997 '57 Les Paul Custom 3 Black Beauty

pvillas25

Hi All:

New to the forums, my current Gibson family includes a mint 2003 R6 Goldtop - which is phenomenal and a Buckethead Studio (unique...).

Now I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 '57 Gibson Custom 3 Black Beauty. Originally ordered from the custom shop with chrome hardware. My question is: what are the specs on the 1997 model? Long tendon/short tendon? Mahoghany top/Maple Top/ PAFs, etc..

going to check it out tonite and bite if checks out ok.

Thanks in advance,

picts to follow

peter

I also have a Dean USA Thoroughbred shown at NAMM2013 that is quite nice - excellent build quality and vintage tonality (a Gibson cousin if you will)

Thamks - when I entered the serial number using the guitar dater website - it came up saying built sept 2, 1997 5th production that day in Bozeman Montana. At that time did Gibson make electrics at that plant or just acoustics?

hmmm

peter

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

R7BBs are made of solid mahogany, with mahogany top. They have long neck tenon.

Not sure about pickups.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Peter!

Guitar dater won`t work with Custom Shop serial numbers. The only reliable source in that case is, the Customer Service. Drop them a mail...

Those are made at Custom Shop Nashville.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

R7BBs are made of solid mahogany, with mahogany top. They have long neck tenon.

Not sure about pickups.

Best wishes... Bence

My '99 B7 with 2 pups was advertised at the time as having "'57 PAF' pups. I swear that's what I remember, but even though I bought it new from the dealer, I don't have any literature that lists detailed specs. Everything was listed on the web site at the time and I failed to get copies. :-(

I emailed gibson service pics and serial number - it was made in Nashville TN and is a ebony custom with nickel hardware 1997. The pots spec out to 1957.

sweet (it has lots of mojo too)

very happy now.

peter

My '99 B7 with 2 pups was advertised at the time as having "'57 PAF' pups. I swear that's what I remember, but even though I bought it new from the dealer, I don't have any literature that lists detailed specs. Everything was listed on the web site at the time and I failed to get copies. :-(

• 2 months later...

I have a 2009 one with Bigsby, one of the nicest guitars I own...mine is all mahaogany. I love the bonus of the out of phase sound when the toggle is in the middle position. I have a few Gibson's with coil taps but the 3 p/up BB sounds way better when producing a single coil type sound.

Archived