Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Futura's noisy?

rdiggity123

Hi all,

I'm a first time Gibson owner of a second hand 2014 SG Futura. I've owned 3 or 4 Epiphone's previously (both SG and Les Paul) and this new one has a much more noticeable humming sound if my hands are not in contact with the strings (or any metal parts on it). I don't notice a difference if I switch between pickups, and turning the volume down will also quiet down the humming.

I've read several things related to humming, but I can use the same amp and cord with multiple guitars and the humming is just with my new Gibson.

Is this normal with a Futura? I really like the tone and feel of it, but the humming is annoying. I'm ok with bringing it in to a guitar shop if need be, but if the humming is "normal" for the futura, I'm not sure what they would do to fix it.

Thanks

Sounds like a "Grounding" issue. Take it to a good repair person, or Luthier,

and have it checked out. Might be a pot, or a cold solder joint, etc. Once

they find out where it is, it's usually a simple fix. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I second this.

UUMMM,,,do you have all "shielded" cords?{for gtr to amp} And "unshielded" for the speaker cabs? Id start there,,any stomp bxs inline your using? those tend to be noisy also. Just a thought. Maybe some spray "pot" cleaner in all the knobs/switches might help also. Maybe open up the back cover on SG,,and look at all the ground hookups to the pots,,it doesnt take much ,,like small strand of braided shielding cover touching some thing it shouldnt,,creating buzzing/hum. Just a thought. good luck

Hi all,

I'm a first time Gibson owner of a second hand 2014 SG Futura. I've owned 3 or 4 Epiphone's previously (both SG and Les Paul) and this new one has a much more noticeable humming sound if my hands are not in contact with the strings (or any metal parts on it). I don't notice a difference if I switch between pickups, and turning the volume down will also quiet down the humming.

I've read several things related to humming, but I can use the same amp and cord with multiple guitars and the humming is just with my new Gibson.

Is this normal with a Futura? I really like the tone and feel of it, but the humming is annoying. I'm ok with bringing it in to a guitar shop if need be, but if the humming is "normal" for the futura, I'm not sure what they would do to fix it.

Thanks

Are all your other guitars only humbuckers? I'm more familiar with the LP version of the Futura, but they have a P90 in the neck so are you sure you might just be hearing normal single coil noise?

My others are all humbucker pickups. I thought I watched a Gibson video that said the Futura P90 is 2 single coils next to each other to act kind of like a humbucker.

I haven't noticed a difference in the hum in any of the pickup positions.

I have it in to Guitar Shop right now to check it over.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow-up that my noise is gone now. I took it in to my local Guitar Center, and they used shielding paint and foil tape on the electronic cavaties and covers. I discovered that even though the noise was gone when I got it home, that the shielding was not the direct fix.

I noticed the boost switch was rotated so that it turned on when switched up, instead of down like it was when I got it. So, I took the pickguard off and rotated the switch. After doing this, the noise was back as loud as before. I rotated it back so it engages when switched up, and it was totally quiet again. Might just be something fluky with my futura, but if you have a noisy one, it might be worth a shot.

Archived