Gibson Brands Forums

First post! ES 137

Chris Blaze

So I took the plunge and finally landed me a Gibson. Took a while too, sort of a journey to get to where I am now (may be a bit lengthy):

Originally sought an Ibanez Prestige--bought it and realized I wanted something a bit more substantial, round, and with a fixed bridge. Upon returning it, the guy at guitar center met me at the door with this beautiful ES 137 in blue burst. I jokingly remarked, "The 'C' at the 12th fret must stand for Chris." I sat down with it for over an hour (playing it of course haha) and paid an additional $150 out of pocket to call her my own (the Ibanez cost me $1200).

For some reason, GAS set in shortly after and I thought I wanted a 335 or 339. I found a 339 for a rather ridiculous deal--$1500 new. I returned the 137 and credited that towards the 339. I spent less than 24 hours before trading back; the 339 really is more like a solid body guitar. It doesn't have the same oomph as the 137, thus I assume it won't have the same oomph as the 335. I couldn't get back to guitar center quickly enough.

For me, this 137 is the Gibson I've always wanted. I really do enjoy covering jazz, blues, rock/metal, country, and gospel and I feel I can achieve any of those on here. The neck is hefty, but comfortable; it really serves the feel of your playing. As far as the 490R/498T, I love them! Would I replace them with Classic '57s? Probably not in this guitar. Because of the airiness/mid presence, they don't sound shrill or muddy as I would imagine may be the case with a LP, SG, etc. The finish of this guitar is gorgeous! Solid piece of flame maple on top and back is really a distinguished look. I also appreciate having the output jack on the side of the guitar and not the top of the body. The single Florentine cut looks really nice, although access to upper frets is impeded by the heel of the neck joint (my playing doesn't tend to reside in that range anyway).

So I've stumbled across a guitar that is definitely for keeps and will never again sell or trade. Pictures will follow as soon as I can take some nice enough shots. I look forward to hearing from all of you and learning more!

they are nice guitars for sure

I have an es-135 which is what Gibson replaced with the es-137

I removed the crappy stock tail piece and put a bigsby on it, fantastic

Congrats on the score, sounds like through trial and error you landed where you wanted to be.

Welcome to the 'I Love my ES137' club... [thumbup]

Beautiful and 'versatile' guitars indeed...

IMO an inspired meld of ES175 aesthetics with Les Paul tone variety...

I also have the Blueburst 'Classic' model...a superb blues guitar which can cover most other H/B styles with ease and a beautiful playable neck to boot... [thumbup]

For interest there is also the premium 'Custom' ES137 with block inlays, '57's and a Varitone circuit for those inclined...

V

:-({|=

they are nice guitars for sure

I have an es-135 which is what Gibson replaced with the es-137

I removed the crappy stock tail piece and put a bigsby on it, fantastic

Congrats on the score, sounds like through trial and error you landed where you wanted to be.

Funny you bring up the 135, a guy at the store was about to make a move on my 137 before I swooped it up the first time ;)

Edit: now for the funny part (haha): He ended up getting a 135, which was available and I had interest in looking at it. Lost the interest when I realized the 137 was a step above it (and the 135 was priced higher, hmm, weird).

I also have the Blueburst 'Classic' model...a superb blues guitar which can cover most other H/B styles with ease and a beautiful playable neck to boot... [thumbup]

For interest there is also the premium 'Custom' ES137 with block inlays, '57's and a Varitone circuit for those inclined...

V

'I Love my ES137' Club--feels good, man.

I have read up on the custom variation, that one's fitted with the Classic '57s. As much as I liked those pickups, I think I am set with this 490/498 combination. However, the upgraded appointments on that thing make that guitar absolutely stunning.

So I took the plunge and finally landed me a Gibson. Took a while too, sort of a journey to get to where I am now (may be a bit lengthy):

Originally sought an Ibanez Prestige--bought it and realized I wanted something a bit more substantial, round, and with a fixed bridge. Upon returning it, the guy at guitar center met me at the door with this beautiful ES 137 in blue burst. I jokingly remarked, "The 'C' at the 12th fret must stand for Chris." I sat down with it for over an hour (playing it of course haha) and paid an additional $150 out of pocket to call her my own (the Ibanez cost me $1200).

For some reason, GAS set in shortly after and I thought I wanted a 335 or 339. I found a 339 for a rather ridiculous deal--$1500 new. I returned the 137 and credited that towards the 339. I spent less than 24 hours before trading back; the 339 really is more like a solid body guitar. It doesn't have the same oomph as the 137, thus I assume it won't have the same oomph as the 335. I couldn't get back to guitar center quickly enough.

For me, this 137 is the Gibson I've always wanted. I really do enjoy covering jazz, blues, rock/metal, country, and gospel and I feel I can achieve any of those on here. The neck is hefty, but comfortable; it really serves the feel of your playing. As far as the 490R/498T, I love them! Would I replace them with Classic '57s? Probably not in this guitar. Because of the airiness/mid presence, they don't sound shrill or muddy as I would imagine may be the case with a LP, SG, etc. The finish of this guitar is gorgeous! Solid piece of flame maple on top and back is really a distinguished look. I also appreciate having the output jack on the side of the guitar and not the top of the body. The single Florentine cut looks really nice, although access to upper frets is impeded by the heel of the neck joint (my playing doesn't tend to reside in that range anyway).

So I've stumbled across a guitar that is definitely for keeps and will never again sell or trade. Pictures will follow as soon as I can take some nice enough shots. I look forward to hearing from all of you and learning more!

Yeah welcome to the "I own a 137 club'. Great guitars. They do have almost baseball bat like necks. Well mine has a very big chunky neck but I like that cos I figure it adds to tone and sustain

• 1 year later...

I bought a ES-137 Custom about 2008, used. The guitar has so much tone and range, I don't know wha to do with it. It is very sweet and I have it set up for low action. But I am toying with the idea of selling it. May be stupid, but it is more guitar than I need.

May be stupid, but it is more guitar than I need.

Indeed.

Think about what you are saying: More guitar than you need?

IF there was such a thing, isn't "more guitar than you need" the ideal you try and reach?

At best, it's a reason to buy. It COULD be a reason not to buy. But NEVER could it be a reason to sell.

V

Yes the 137 Custom also has the varitone switch. That alone is a killer for tone options.

Indeed.

Think about what you are saying: More guitar than you need?

IF there was such a thing, isn't "more guitar than you need" the ideal you try and reach?

At best, it's a reason to buy. It COULD be a reason not to buy. But NEVER could it be a reason to sell.

That is not the reason to sell. What I meant was that there is so much tone and color of the guitar, that you can find any style in this guitar. I love the axe. But I have my reasons to attempt to sell, just to buy something else. An EPI LP is what I am looking to add to the collection, But look forward to playing many before I make a purchase.

Archived