Gibson Brands Forums

Care and Cleaning a Gibson Doves in Flight

Scott Harrison

Just a quick question about guitar care. I was unable to find a satisfactory answer with the search.

I have a Gibson Doves in Flight and play it. I clean it when I'm done in order to preserve the finish as long as I can, but just the simplest contact from my forearm to the front of the guitar ans a place on the back where my belly rubs seems to hold this constant foggy looking haze. At first I used some Martin guitar polish after playing, but when I ran out of that I tried the Gibson polish. they seem comparable in that neither of them remove the haziness in the spots where my skin makes contact with the guitar. It seems a little anal to only wear long sleeves when I play. And if there was a way, I'd sure avoid sweating when I play, lol.

It just seems with the apparent workmanship and materials that went into making this guitar that I ought to be able to keep it looking good for a while. And, don't think I'm exaggerating. this was noticeable after playing it only 2 or 3 times. Perhaps I'm not using the right polish? What should I do? Or, just not worry about it?

Thanks to all.

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

Yes, definitely the Virtuoso. Good stuff. I'm one who rarely ever wipes-off his guitars. Maybe if I've sweated a couple gallons worth on it, but overall I'm not real big on guitar polish or cleaners. However, a friend of mine let me use some of his Virtuoso Polish and it really surprised me. Made my guitars look new again. It wasn't just the shine and gloss. It was the removal and lessening of the scratches and the haze. I keep my guitars in good shape and they mostly look in near-mint condition anyway, but this polish took them up a step. [thumbup]

Yes, definitely the Virtuoso. Good stuff. I'm one who rarely ever wipes-off his guitars. Maybe if I've sweated a couple gallons worth on it, but overall I'm not real big on guitar polish or cleaners. However, a friend of mine let me use some of his Virtuoso Polish and it really surprised me. Made my guitars look new again. It wasn't just the shine and gloss. It was the removal and lessening of the scratches and the haze. I keep my guitars in good shape and they mostly look in near-mint condition anyway, but this polish took them up a step. [thumbup]

Good info. And I see it's made for the type finish I have. I'll pick up the cleaner AND the polish. I know it's going to look "played" eventually, but I've got folks that haven't even had a chance to see it yet! It's too good looking to let the new wear off of at this point, lol

Thanks,

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

Good info. And I see it's made for the type finish I have. I'll pick up the cleaner AND the polish. I know it's going to look "played" eventually, but I've got folks that haven't even had a chance to see it yet! It's too good looking to let the new wear off of at this point, lol

Thanks,

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

Scott you will not be disappointed if your goal is to clean and protect it doesn't get any better ... At least I've never found any thing that comes close...JMHOFWIW

Sometimes, that "fog" you see in the finish where body contact is made...is humidity actually absorbed into the finish and wood from your body contact. When I find this...I never polish it. But wait till it dissipates. Because polishing this "fogged area" when it is fresh, can SEAL in the humidity not allowing it to escape....which you do not want. I wait a few days, for some of the humidity to release itself from that area, THEN I polish and clean it, which often reduces the fog mark. You may wipe the fogged area and I suggest you do after playing..but do not SEAL the humidity in by polishing that area when you notice it has become more noticeable, or it can tend to become more aggravated and obstinate in the long run to get out. Many claim Virtuoso works well, and I do believe this. But by not sealing the humidity in with sealing finish polish...and not using the natural impulse to want to polish away that fog, (trapped humidity) is important until it is under control. The Gibson finish is exquisite, but it can be sensitive!

Sometimes, that "fog" you see in the finish where body contact is made...is humidity actually absorbed into the finish and wood from your body contact. When I find this...I never polish it. But wait till it dissipates. Because polishing this "fogged area" when it is fresh, can SEAL in the humidity not allowing it to escape....which you do not want. I wait a few days, for some of the humidity to release itself from that area, THEN I polish and clean it, which often reduces the fog mark. You may wipe the fogged area and I suggest you do after playing..but do not SEAL the humidity in by polishing that area when you notice it has become more noticeable, or it can tend to become more aggravated and obstinate in the long run to get out. Many claim Virtuoso works well, and I do believe this. But by not sealing the humidity in with sealing finish polish...and not using the natural impulse to want to polish away that fog, (trapped humidity) is important until it is under control.

I'm already guilty of that. Hopefully, the Virtuoso polish will fix it for me. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

The Virtuoso cleaner and polish work great. I would start with the polish only and see if that does the trick for you. The cleaner is a bit more aggressive and probably not needed very often. The cleaner leaves the guitar squeaky because it really cleans...so if you use the cleaner, you need to follow with the polish.... It leaves the guitar smooth and the neck fast and slick...

A word of caution....these leave a very high gloss finish...if you use them on a matte finish it will no longer be a matte finish. They will also quickly remove the Gibson VOS finish.

I usually wipe my guitar down with a clean flannel cloth when I put them in the case and only use the polish when a guitar starts to get a bit grungy.

Thanks for the pointers I do plan to try the polish first. I have only very minimal hazing at this point in the areas that I discussed earlier. It otherwise still looks like brand new. I'll have the cleaner if and when I need it, though, as it came with the polish.

I think I'm safe based on the good info I've gathered here. The Doves in Flight has a very glossy finish!

Thanks so much. Now if I can just learn to play it at a level worthy if being its owner...

I got my Virtuoso in the mail today and just tried it on my AJ which was looking a mess. The sweat from my arm seems to be caustic and really builds up on my nitro finished instruments. And its been building for a handful of years.

I've been fretting about this for years and tried all kinds of stuff to reduce the haze from my forearm but nothing worked. So today I tried the Virtuoso cleaner and my AJ looked all fresh again. Hit it with the polish next. I was so happy with the outcome that I did my mandolin. Same result.

I think some folks don't have the same chemical reaction and/or organic buildup on their nitro finished instruments but for those that do...they know what a headache this can be.

And for those folks...this stuff seems to work!

Years ago I bought some scratch remover and polish from guitarscratchremover.com specifically formulated for Gibsons.

It works very well, and I still have a lot left.

Maybe this Virtuoso stuff is my next polish purchase.

Archived