Gibson Brands Forums

Epi P90 v Gibson P90

• 1 month later...

I don't really discern a standard difference - ie "Epiphone P90s consistently sound like this, Gibson P90s consistently sound like that." My impression is that P90s are the one kind of pickup that Epiphone is consistently best at manufacturing.

Generally, unless you're dealing with the old Alnico Classic humbuckers, I'd say your stock Epiphone pickups (P90s, Probuckers, Alnico Pros, and mini humbuckers) are going to hold their own against anything else that is out there.

Generally the only time I'd recommend swapping pickups is if you can't adjust to get enough treble or mids, or you want a different style of output (eg replacing a high output humbucker with a vintage-wind PAF type).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really discern a standard difference - ie "Epiphone P90s consistently sound like this, Gibson P90s consistently sound like that." My impression is that P90s are the one kind of pickup that Epiphone is consistently best at manufacturing.

Generally, unless you're dealing with the old Alnico Classic humbuckers, I'd say your stock Epiphone pickups (P90s, Probuckers, Alnico Pros, and mini humbuckers) are going to hold their own against anything else that is out there.

Generally the only time I'd recommend swapping pickups is if you can't adjust to get enough treble or mids, or you want a different style of output (eg replacing a high output humbucker with a vintage-wind PAF type).

Archived