Gibson Brands Forums

Don't live in the closet

blindboygrunt

Interesting... makes sense to me. Especially worth considering on new guitar - where fumes in an airtight case could wreak havoc

.I suppose if you have as many guitars as the OP - storage is legitimately a major concern.

I wonder if the 'best" number of guitars for any one person varies depending upon the person?

Imelda Marcos (and Parlor Man) had closets full of shoes. Some only have one pair and are just as happy.

Some of us here like to have one BFF guitar, while others want a pallet of colors to chose from depending on the song or the mood.

Most, I would guess, are like me where economics is the main criteria - and it is so limiting, storage is not that big of a deal. All 3 of mine stay out all the time.

I've owned a Hopf Saturn 63 since 1986. In the first 20 year sof ownership it could be out of the case or IN the case for months at a time. However beginning 7-8 years ago I saw that if it stayed in it's case for more than a month, the clear plastic pickguard would end up being soaking wet. At first I thought it was some weird outgassing of the guard itself but it is not. It appears to be water; it has no smell or color. I didn't bother to taste it! It puzzles me because the case isn't any different than it ever was, the storage OF the case hasn't changed, it's been at my old house with forced hot air heating and 20% humidity in January to the basement of my new house with 67% humidity in July and makes absolutely no difference. The guard, being plexiglass or clear acrylic, is mostly (if not completely) impervious while the rest of the guitar is either bare wood or lacquer and I assume is changing moisture content to a great degree. it being a semi-hollow body with no finish on the inside of the box makes it even more hygroscopic. It amazes me to see how much 'sweat' is deposited on the guard so I can only assume the rest of the guitar is getting it too, it's just not sitting on the surface like it is on the guard. It further puzzles me to note it's only done it in the past few years. I bought it in '86 and it had sat in the case, apart and neglected, for several years but no oxidation on the metal parts at all. I keep it hanging on the wall and only plan to use the case for transport if need be. I'd pitch the case but it's the original 'shaped' hardshell.

From the 70s to now I've owned multiple guitars (currently 19). While I've only kept a few for more than 20 years, I kept most of my guitars for 5-10 years. For the most part my electrics have been kept out on stands/rack, while the acoustics are cased most of the time (mostly in the winter) and sometimes on stands in the summer - and I've thankfully never encountered these "rot" problems. I've seen a few guitars with this problem. One was really bad - an old Gibson with a raised, deteriorated pickguard that damaged the finish. IMO you shouldn't case a guitar for months/years at a time without checking on it every few weeks - visual inspection, tuning and a bit of playing to make sure it's doing well.

Never seen any rot on any guitars I've owned. I assume it's as noticeable as in the picture. Otherwise it's doubtful I'd notice it. My guitars are typically in their cases or on the wall.......This stuff all depends on how you want to spend your money. That's a nice closet/display case, but I'd have used the money on another guitar. B)

My axes stay out in there stands. I want to see them and be able to grab them at a moments notice. Cases are for transport. I have heard or the horror stories of people opening their cases after years and fuzz growing in them and the binding rotting.

I have 6 out in the open and 3 in the cooler. Space is a consideration. I will start rotating them in/out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Plastics have been around, in great quantities, for about 50 - 60 years. I think older plastics are just getting old and breaking down. I have a few old Kodak cameras. One of which has a metal case with an applied laminate to resemble green leather. If it is stored in an enclosed case for an extended period, it is greasy and slimy to pick up. If left out of the case, it is tacky and gummy. The camera is from the 60's, so that makes it nigh onto 50 years old.

I agree that an un-played guitar is a sad guitar. My solution is to send it to me. I'll leave it to hang on the wall, than play it once a day to keep it 'loved'.

• 2 months later...

I've owned a Hopf Saturn 63 since 1986. In the first 20 year sof ownership it could be out of the case or IN the case for months at a time. However beginning 7-8 years ago I saw that if it stayed in it's case for more than a month, the clear plastic pickguard would end up being soaking wet. At first I thought it was some weird outgassing of the guard itself but it is not. It appears to be water; it has no smell or color. I didn't bother to taste it! It puzzles me because the case isn't any different than it ever was, the storage OF the case hasn't changed, it's been at my old house with forced hot air heating and 20% humidity in January to the basement of my new house with 67% humidity in July and makes absolutely no difference. The guard, being plexiglass or clear acrylic, is mostly (if not completely) impervious while the rest of the guitar is either bare wood or lacquer and I assume is changing moisture content to a great degree. it being a semi-hollow body with no finish on the inside of the box makes it even more hygroscopic. It amazes me to see how much 'sweat' is deposited on the guard so I can only assume the rest of the guitar is getting it too, it's just not sitting on the surface like it is on the guard. It further puzzles me to note it's only done it in the past few years. I bought it in '86 and it had sat in the case, apart and neglected, for several years but no oxidation on the metal parts at all. I keep it hanging on the wall and only plan to use the case for transport if need be. I'd pitch the case but it's the original 'shaped' hardshell.

I think the difference is age. I think it's just reached that magic half life where whatever this clear liquid is, is migrating out of the guard. In another 29 years I suspect the guard will be a pile of crumbs, whether in the case.... or not.

But that is just a guess.

Archived