Gibson Brands Forums

Share pictures of your Gibson Customs

4Hayden

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful 335 4Hayden. What year? I have a 2008 Larry Carlton which is a wonderful guitar but as far as pride and joy I'll go with these 2:

DSC02081.jpg

2004 CS-336 Custom Shop one-off, Tangerine burst quilt, gold hardware, ebony board. Plays and sounds like a dream. My current #1.

DSC02076.jpg

2003 Johnny A., S/N JA 024 from the first production run, Gingerburst quilt.

Beautiful 335 4Hayden. What year? I have a 2008 Larry Carlton which is a wonderful guitar but as far as pride and joy I'll go with these 2:

DSC02081.jpg

2004 CS-336 Custom Shop one-off, Tangerine burst quilt, gold hardware, ebony board. Plays and sounds like a dream. My current #1.

DSC02076.jpg

2003 Johnny A., S/N JA 024 from the first production run, Gingerburst quilt.

That''s a sharp guitar you have there

DSC02081.jpg

Mine is a 2012 year model

Well I broke all the rules and ordered my first custom guitar based on looks rather than actually playing it first! I'm a beginner (at age 57) but fell in love with the looks of this thing when I saw it. It's a 2014 Custom Quilt "Antique Natural" Hopefully I'll learn to play it well enough to do it justice, but if not, it's gorgeous to just stare and look at!

It was delivered just this morning :-) And I absolutely love it (thank goodness!)

These pictures were taken with my camera phone so apologies for the lack of quality.

LesPaulCustom1.jpg

LesPaulCustom2.jpg

I bought my first Les Paul in November last year - a signature edition: The Slash Vermillion. I've been VERY happy with it, except for the ridiculous Slash logo on the headstock and case (I'm not actually a Slash fan, but the look of the guitar and the sound really appealed to me). But when I saw the Antique Natural Custom model in a photo last week, having never seen it on the Gibson site, it just seemed like it had my name on it. I've looked at a lot of online photos over the last year and this was the first one that just screamed "I'm for you!" at me. I decided to grab it while I could, hoping it would play OK. I'm a beginner so figured I probably couldn't tell a whole heap of difference between a good player and a bad one anyway!

Anyway, first impressions... I absolute LOVE it. It's so smooth to play. It's also much lighter than the Slash model, which surprised me, but I see that as a bonus as I found the Slash Vermillion heavy after long practice sessions. I have nicknamed the new custom model "Barney" and the old Vermillion was called "Wilma" (after a red head) - both Flintstones characters.

I am SO happy with the guitar, even though it was a risk to order it untried and cost the sort of money that will be taking me the next few months to pay off on my credit card. The only real surprises to me were that the pickup selector hadn't been screwed on - it was loose in the case (to avoid damage in transit perhaps?), the brown case doesn't have the "Gibson USA" sticker I'm used to seeing on Gibson brown cases, and there were no strap locks included (the Slash Vermillion which cost about half the price of this came with Strap Locks which I regard as essential). Fortunately Schaller do some very nice gold strap locks which I've now ordered from Amazon. It was nice to find a scratch guard in the case as there'd been no mention of this in any of the photos or what little literature was available. I doubt I'll use it as the guitar's too beautiful to cover up, but it's nice to have it there as an option in case I change my mind.

Well I broke all the rules and ordered my first custom guitar based on looks rather than actually playing it first! I'm a beginner (at age 57) but fell in love with the looks of this thing when I saw it. It's a 2014 Custom Quilt "Antique Natural" Hopefully I'll learn to play it well enough to do it justice, but if not, it's gorgeous to just stare and look at!

It was delivered just this morning :-) And I absolutely love it (thank goodness!)

These pictures were taken with my camera phone so apologies for the lack of quality.

LesPaulCustom1.jpg

LesPaulCustom2.jpg

I bought my first Les Paul in November last year - a signature edition: The Slash Vermillion. I've been VERY happy with it, except for the ridiculous Slash logo on the headstock and case (I'm not actually a Slash fan, but the look of the guitar and the sound really appealed to me). But when I saw the Antique Natural Custom model in a photo last week, having never seen it on the Gibson site, it just seemed like it had my name on it. I've looked at a lot of online photos over the last year and this was the first one that just screamed "I'm for you!" at me. I decided to grab it while I could, hoping it would play OK. I'm a beginner so figured I probably couldn't tell a whole heap of difference between a good player and a bad one anyway!

Anyway, first impressions... I absolute LOVE it. It's so smooth to play. It's also much lighter than the Slash model, which surprised me, but I see that as a bonus as I found the Slash Vermillion heavy after long practice sessions. I have nicknamed the new custom model "Barney" and the old Vermillion was called "Wilma" (after a red head) - both Flintstones characters.

I am SO happy with the guitar, even though it was a risk to order it untried and cost the sort of money that will be taking me the next few months to pay off on my credit card. The only real surprises to me were that the pickup selector hadn't been screwed on - it was loose in the case (to avoid damage in transit perhaps?), the brown case doesn't have the "Gibson USA" sticker I'm used to seeing on Gibson brown cases, and there were no strap locks included (the Slash Vermillion which cost about half the price of this came with Strap Locks which I regard as essential). Fortunately Schaller do some very nice gold strap locks which I've now ordered from Amazon. It was nice to find a scratch guard in the case as there'd been no mention of this in any of the photos or what little literature was available. I doubt I'll use it as the guitar's too beautiful to cover up, but it's nice to have it there as an option in case I change my mind.

Really sharp guitar , I've read that a hollow body guitar needs to be out of the case so the wood can breath and cure over time, maybe someone else here has info on it.Either way sit back look and enjoy. Congrats

Interesting that you call it a hollow body, although the weight, certainly compared to the Slash Vermillion (which was also supposed to be weight relieved) indicates you are correct as it's light as a feather. The original description describes it as a "solid body" with "strategically routed holes". I wonder internally how this differs from the Vermillion as it feels so different, It also feels smaller although it's hard for me to check that as my Vermillion is in digs at my work place rather than at home where I'm only around at the weekends.

I took up guitar in my late teens but only lasted a couple of years because the only guitar I could afford was really cheap and had a seriously warped neck. Compared to that the Vermillion seemed fast and easy to play, but this is even more improved than that. It almost feels like it plays itself :-)

Interesting that you call it a hollow body, although the weight, certainly compared to the Slash Vermillion (which was also supposed to be weight relieved) indicates you are correct as it's light as a feather. The original description describes it as a "solid body" with "strategically routed holes". I wonder internally how this differs from the Vermillion as it feels so different, It also feels smaller although it's hard for me to check that as my Vermillion is in digs at my work place rather than at home where I'm only around at the weekends.

I took up guitar in my late teens but only lasted a couple of years because the only guitar I could afford was really cheap and had a seriously warped neck. Compared to that the Vermillion seemed fast and easy to play, but this is even more improved than that. It almost feels like it plays itself :-)

Well I guess you could call it a semi hollow body because it has a wooden beam down the middle:

it is neither hollow nor solid; instead, a solid maple wood block runs through the center of its body. The side "wings" are hollow, and the top has two violin-style f-holes over the hollow chambers

Well I guess you could call it a semi hollow body because it has a wooden beam down the middle:

it is neither hollow nor solid; instead, a solid maple wood block runs through the center of its body. The side "wings" are hollow, and the top has two violin-style f-holes over the hollow chambers

Ah you're not talking about MY guitar, but the ones that appear in pictures from others above it. There are no violin-style f-holes on my Les Paul!

Ah you're not talking about MY guitar, but the ones that appear in pictures from others above it. There are no violin-style f-holes on my Les Paul!

True ALL Les Pauls are solid body guitars, I was talking about ES335

True ALL Les Pauls are solid body guitars, I was talking about ES335

I keep my semi-hollows cased for the most part, except when I'm playing them. A few are over 10 years old and the finishes are cured just fine and they still look as good as new. I did have a Custom Shop LP from 2000 that lived its whole life in its case and it started developing slight finish checking on the back of the headstock at around 12 years. I don't think keeping it in its case had anything to do with it though.

I keep my semi-hollows cased for the most part, except when I'm playing them. A few are over 10 years old and the finishes are cured just fine and they still look as good as new. I did have a Custom Shop LP from 2000 that lived its whole life in its case and it started developing slight finish checking on the back of the headstock at around 12 years. I don't think keeping it in its case had anything to do with it though.

I've got three that stay in a case as well, it was just something a ole timer told me

Here are my 2013 CS 20th Anniversary Murphy Burst R9 and R8 Plain top,

IMG_7784.jpg

[scared] yikes! Don't use those guitar stands that have the surgical style rubber tubing, they are NOT nitro safe. Your babies will get burn-in on them from those.

[scared] yikes! Don't use those guitar stands that have the surgical style rubber tubing, they are NOT nitro safe. Your babies will get burn-in on them from those.

Those stands will ruin your guitar finish , learned the hard way

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have two. The 330 was a HUGE disappointment when I received it. The bridge was set Waaayyy to high to make it playable, the cause? The pups were installed on thick spacers. I removed the spacers and installed new pup covers and I could then lower the bridge. Luckily for me the store couldn't sell it and lowered the price rather than send it to Gibson.

es330.jpg?t=1409093996

My Tal Farlow is a beautiful instrument, bought used but despite some issues with the clear finish on the head it is one of the best sounding and playing big boxes I have ever played.

tal_farlow_1s.jpg

Archived