Gibson Brands Forums

LG-2 to B-25 transition

DCBirdMan

Well I read 1962 was the year the LG-2 ended, replaced by the B-25. Were there any structural changes at that point or would a '62 B-25 be the same as a '62 LG-2? I ask because I have seen a '62 LG-2 for sale in cherry sunburst just like B-25s... but wondered if it is really the same deal as say a '64 Cherry sunburst B-25 for a few hundred less, is it essentiallyh the same guitar. Maybe one difference with the first B-25s was the dreaded plastic bridge.

one thing that gets me about all this is we hear the early first few years of B 25 were lighter bracing, better sounding, but had plastic bridge. Then when what are supposed to be less desirable B 25 happend with changed construction and narrow neck etc, it had gone back to the wooden bridge.

They both had the positive percussive woody qualities of that sturdy small build, and, to be honest, my mid 50's LG-2 sounded only a little better than my '66 B-25, but the cost difference was $800. I did abandon that design though, for it's shallow low end vs it's sharp and resonant mid and high response. In a word...in that time frame I think the qualities of those two models were virtually identical.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where you read that the B-25s of this or that period had a lighter bracing.

The one thing to keep in mind though is that if the guitar came with a plastic bridge it probably also came with a plywood bridgeplate. While this does not gaurantee the guitar will be a dog it does increase the chances of it.

Archived