Gibson Brands Forums

Set necks ahoy... Beech and Oak builds FINISHED

Rabs

:)

Yes.. so as the thread title says... I have now done my first successful set neck Wooooooo!! :D and it worked nicely this time...

As I am still experimenting with this I used that multi block body which on closer inspection is actually mostly oak, and a solid oak neck...

DSC_0001_zps50da6982.jpg

DSC_0003_zps7d037fa5.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsc5fe2f29.jpg

And heres the test to see if its pointing in the right direction this time :)

DSC_0008_zps27dbc9b6.jpg

SWEET!! and the reason being that my first three that I have been working on the last few months as you all probably know are neckthroughs.. ALL the rest of the wood I got was not big enough for neckthroughs so I had to get this right or I would have been a bit stuck.

And im REALLY happy with the results... The heal doesn't get in the way as I set my neck in a little further out than on a LP... and I haven't finished with the back of the headstock end yet ...

DSC_0009_zpsde433ee8.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsf45a1f03.jpg

AND also the next neck im working on is the beech and meranti one.. and im SUPER happy with how that is turning out... I got some nice MOP dots on that ebony board [thumbup]

DSC_0012_zps20c3bcd3.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsea7a996a.jpg

So its all good :D

Im hoping in the next two months to have a web site and all that up an running and a nice selection for people to choose from.. Wish me luck, I will need it :unsure:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very cool!

Cheers guys.. I was doing this one to make sure I had the neck joint thing down, but actually I reckon its gonna turn out pretty sweet :)

This is the rough idea ive had on how to finish it

newhammeridea1_zps3a13d11b.jpg

Im hoping in the next two months to have a web site and all that up an running and a nice selection for people to choose from.. Wish me luck, I will need it :unsure:

If you need any help as far as the website's concerned, drop me a PM ;)

-Ryan

If you need any help as far as the website's concerned, drop me a PM ;)

-Ryan

Cheers man.. thanks for the offer... But in my last job I was the IT manager for a company and ran and created the web site and the mail on our own server so I think I will be cool...

But thanks again, its appreciated :)

Cheers man.. thanks for the offer... But in my last job I was the IT manager for a company and ran and created the web site and the mail on our own server so I think I will be cool...

But thanks again, its appreciated :)

Oh okay, didn't know of your past experience. Good luck :)

-Ryan

Damn Rabs! Looking great!!! I definitely do not have the patience to do what you're doing here. I can't wait to see this guitar finished. Please, if you have the time - keep posting up pictures so we can follow your progress. Great job! (and I love oak) [thumbup]

That ebony board looks so damn nice!

Cheers man... I am very happy with it... and that's only polished to 600 grit... I am going to take it to 1200... It will be as smooth as a proverbial babys bum ;)

Damn Rabs! Looking great!!! I definitely do not have the patience to do what you're doing here. I can't wait to see this guitar finished. Please, if you have the time - keep posting up pictures so we can follow your progress. Great job! (and I love oak) [thumbup]

Thank you sir....

And this one is a more rough oak.. The next set neck I am doing is also all oak but a higher grade as such.. And yeah I will continue to post occasionally when I have interesting things to show... [thumbup]

Nice looking set-neck, Rabs.

And even AXE® would be impressed by the length of the tenon...

Looking forward to the next instalment!

[thumbup]

P.

Chees man..

haha, battle of the neck tennons :)

And really as long as I can cover it after (which this will be by a pickguard) I think they should be as big as possible for the greatest strength (and resonance of course ;))

If you guys are still up for it I still really wanna jam at some point and see what you guys think in real life... A week or so ago I had an old friend over whos been playing as long as I have and he had a quick go on build 1 and the first thing he said was that it feels like a cross between a Gibson and a Fender which I was really happy to hear as that's pretty much what I was aiming for :)

Even though in saying that I finish each guitar slightly differently as I don't use any neck templates so each one will be quite individual.

Great looking body. And that is indeed a h3ll of a tenon! Is that angle good? Looks like it might be a bit high at the bridge to me (though wtf do I know?).

Yeah.. I haven't actually tested it yet but im pretty sure its ok from my last build....

When I started studying the neck angle and all that I was quite shocked at how much it is angled (about 5 degrees I think) and indeed when you look at the side profile its quite surprising if you haven't really looked before

LPJ14C2SC1-Side-Shot_zps3527d121.jpg

And its also one of the reasons that a LP has that carved hump in the middle... My body is flat so I may have to raise the bridge a couple mm more than normal. But I will test it next week and we will see :)

...If you guys are still up for it I still really wanna jam at some point and see what you guys think in real life...

Absolutely, Rabs.

Apparently Farns' home-built amp is a bit of a babe, too, so perhaps he could be persuaded to drag it along?

I still fancy booking a rehearsal room for the experiment so we can give everything a fair crack of the volume whip but I'm easy with whatever anyone else has in mind.

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Rabs, pippy...

Let's make this happen. We've talked about it for months now. Is sometime this month good financialy? It's gonna be about £14 each to get a rehearsal room down this way.

Guest Farnsbarns

Wed or Thur this week or next are good for me.

(Beers on Tuesday with Flight, Farns?).

P.

Sounds good to me, speak to flight, he might not be up for it.

I could go for a jam on Thursday, can't make Wednesday, work gave me VIP tix for Wimbledon centre court.

...can't make Wednesday, work gave me VIP tix for Wimbledon centre court...

The Alan B'Stards.

Give them right back! Show them who's boss!...

LOL!

What's on at wimbleydon?

Shall we say Thursday 26th? That gives our respective bosses at home some notice...

P.

The Alan B'Stards.

Give them right back! Show them who's boss!...

LOL!

What's on at wimbleydon?

Shall we say Thursday 26th? That gives our respective bosses at home some notice...

P.

Yeah I could probably do that :)

BUT I was gonna bring along a drummer (cos its cool to have a drummer to jam with).. But im pretty sure he will be off to Glasto on that day... Even though obviously we could do it without him if need be :) But maybe the week after if youd rather jam with a drummer too.. :)

I will IM you guys...

Great looking body. And that is indeed a h3ll of a tenon! Is that angle good? Looks like it might be a bit high at the bridge to me (though wtf do I know?).

So I went and tested the bridges out today on this set neck.

And typically its not straight forward....

Heres the four different bridges I have at the moment

DSC_0007_zps0d2edde3.jpg

Obviously one is meant for s Tele type pickup (which I have)... So with the body mounted bridges, they were almost exactly right.. I had to move the grubs down and it wont leave much room for any further adjustments.. so im not sure I can use those.

DSC_0002_zps2e02c75b.jpg

DSC_0003_zps8bfb9635.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsaec11c31.jpg

And the more Gibby type bridges.. they sort of work but without the studs.. with the studs and poles it will add about an extra 4mm in height.. So they will be too high ... Dooohhh #-o

DSC_0004_zpsd7626efe.jpg

Soooo.. lol all it means is more work for me... What I will probably have to do is take a couple of mm off the top, which is fine as its a nice thick body so I have room. But all this shows I need to be more precise in my planning of what bridges im going to use vs what neck angle etc... But im getting there :)

I could go for a jam on Thursday, can't make Wednesday, work gave me VIP tix for Wimbledon centre court.

Farns! Your in-box is full! I'll PM you here....

Actually I've just realised that Thursdays are 'Swimming Lesson' night and I'm 'Taxi'.

Wednesdays are the only real option. If that doesn't suit for any reason then I might be able to arrange something special on a Mon or Tue but I can't promise...

P.

Archived