Gibson Brands Forums

output chart showing super 57 and BB3?

pwrmac7600

I am trying to see what the actual output comparison is on the super 57 and the BB3. I upgraded one of my pauls to a BB3 in the bridge, and left the other one with the super 57 it came with. I went with the BB3 in the other because I love the BB2 so much that i have in my Standard, I just wanted more output for heavier stuff that I do. So I am sitting here today playing both guitars and I can't tell if my ears are just playing tricks on me or if the super 57 sounds to have much less output than the BB3. Anyone know? I ask because I am highly debating switching out the Super 57 in this guitar to a BB3 as well. But my ears just can't decide. Seems to have much more bass, and run less hot than the BB3.

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately none of those charts how the super57.

I believe that the super 57 is actually the 57+ in a four wire configuration. As such it should read about 8.25 which is actually a little less output then the BB Three

I'm thinking that even though both models share a similar resistance/inductance/output, the BB has mismatched coils. It may be sounding louder because it cuts through/stands out better even at a level that's technically about the same. Just a thought that occurred to me, the idea might be completely half-assed. (Is that an oxymoron?) Anyway I figured I'd toss it out as it came to me; I'm not willing to take the time to let it become fully-assed.

I'm thinking that even though both models share a similar resistance/inductance/output, the BB has mismatched coils. It may be sounding louder because it cuts through/stands out better even at a level that's technically about the same. Just a thought that occurred to me, the idea might be completely half-assed. (Is that an oxymoron?) Anyway I figured I'd toss it out as it came to me; I'm not willing to take the time to let it become fully-assed.

Yes makes sense. for me it was a tonal issue as well. The super 57 sounded very flubby in the bottom, and the BB3 seems much tighter.my super 57's have now all been replaced with BB3's and I am much happier for it.

Archived