Gibson Brands Forums

Should I get a case for my 1989 Les Paul

maruaderguy

Dear Forum,

This is probably a stupid question.

I just bought a 1989 ebony Les Paul Standard. Should I get a case for it? I won't ever be taking it out of my house. I am more of a collector of guitars than a player. I pick at them a little bit, but that is about it. I don't ever plan on selling my guitars, but does it help the resale value if I track down the original style (from that time range of late 80's to early 90s) case in nice condition and mate it to the guitar?

I realize a 1989 Les Paul is not a blue chip collectable. The guitar will be hung on the wall in my office, and the case will end up in the crawl space under my house. But if I ever move, the case will be nicer to pack the guitar into, compared to one of those big wedge shaped cardboard guitar boxes.

Is this the factory correct case for my guitar?

gibsoncase.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

well, it does look like an LP case, (it's an older case, the new ones are black not brown)

but you probably don't want to pay for a USA Gibson Case especially with what you are planning. they are CRAZY money ($200+)

it sounds to me like what you need is an after market case.

you can find cases that will fit a Les Paul at a place like this:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Hard-Shell-Cases_c_379.html

there are other online places too.

YES! A hardwood case is good protection, even in a house, for "long term" storage!

Gig bags are convenient, but don't offer near the protection, as a "hard" case.

There are a lot of great cases, in all price ranges. Especially, the Made In America,

and Made in Canada, versions.

CB

Oh yeah... is that the new 2014 brown Gibson case with pinkish inside? That goes well with your LP! I keep my guitars in cases. It's easier storing a collection in their respective cases.

Personally, I don't like hanging them like trophy heads and gathering dust daily. In cases, they stay clean...hanging a collection forces me to clean them regularly, and that will tire me out...I'd rather take the time to practice...LOL.

simply YES........

I have two guitars in gig bags, all my others in hard cases........and I'm going to get hard cases for the odd two.......just can't stand the thought of something happening to them.

NHTom

Well, '80's Les Paul's are hardly "collectible!" They may retain their value, or

even go up, a bit. But, truly "collectible," no way! Maybe, if you're going to

only "collect" guitars, Gibson or otherwise, you should stop spending money on non-

collectible instruments, and save that money, for a truly collectible guitar?

Just a thought... [tongue]

CB

• 3 months later...

I have to disagree with Charlie Brown. An '80's Les Paul can be very collectable in pristine condition. Not as collectable as Les pauls from the '50's or 60's but none the less collectable. Of all the Les Paul collectors in the world only a few can afford to collect '59 and '60 standards. What do the rest of us collect? I personally think Les paul Standards from the period 1985 - 1995 will be quite collectable down the road.

Dear Forum,

This is probably a stupid question.

I just bought a 1989 ebony Les Paul Standard. Should I get a case for it? I won't ever be taking it out of my house. I am more of a collector of guitars than a player. I pick at them a little bit, but that is about it. I don't ever plan on selling my guitars, but does it help the resale value if I track down the original style (from that time range of late 80's to early 90s) case in nice condition and mate it to the guitar?

I realize a 1989 Les Paul is not a blue chip collectable. The guitar will be hung on the wall in my office, and the case will end up in the crawl space under my house. But if I ever move, the case will be nicer to pack the guitar into, compared to one of those big wedge shaped cardboard guitar boxes.

Is this the factory correct case for my guitar?

gibsoncase.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

..as others have said I would agree get a hard case..you never know when ya need it...the case you have pictured looks exactly like the case I have for my 2001 Pete Townshend SG

I've got 5 guitars and five cases which came with them. I've been an active hobbyist for about 7 years...play about 10 -12 hours per week and yet I've never left the house with any of my guitars. If you're a homebody like me... AND truly don' intend to sell them, I'd NOT buy a case to collect dust, bugs, smell, or oxidize in a crawl space. However, if you plan to move, or sell, and just before you do, then I'd quickly buy a case to protect it during the move/shipping...otherwise, why waste the money if they're never going to leave the house? I'd hang them on a wall in a secure, safe, temp/humidity controlled place. Watch the nitro finish where it makes contact with stands/hangars.

Archived