Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ-45ME - VSS

mgrasso

Why does "after running her fingers over it" give me a mental picture of long fingers with red nail varnish???

What! I'll get my coat!!!

B) me too...

Guys please, I'm so disappointed in you. :(

I would say I'd tell her, but that might lead to an awkward conversation as to how a bunch of middle aged men came to be talking about her on an Internet forum.

Just to fuel your fantasy a little more, the young lady in question does have painted nails, although they are kept quite short because she plays the ukulele (very well).

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say I'd tell her, but that might lead to an awkward conversation as to how a bunch of middle aged men came to be talking about her on an Internet forum.

Just to fuel your fantasy a little more, the young lady in question does have painted nails, although they are kept quite short because she plays the ukulele (very well).

With me little ukelele in me hand. Just gets worse!!

Those Yanks wont have clue what I mean!!

I was going to mention a couple of other instruments but you'd be even more disappointed in me IR [rolleyes]

• 4 weeks later...

I can't put this guitar down, I'm completely hooked on it. It plays like a dream. Best acoustic I've ever had

Woop woop! I've been telling people that for 9 months . They are reall really nice guitars. I bougt a Gibson J15 few weeks ago and I really do think the AJ-45me compares very well.

I can't put this guitar down, I'm completely hooked on it. It plays like a dream. Best acoustic I've ever had

What he said. So it isn't just me. I have sixteen guitars, none of which I have either seen or even thought about since buying a used AJ-45ME over three months ago. I stumbled over this used guitar in the same shop where I was trying out a new Gibson J-45. I have since tried out a couple more J-45's, but I have yet find one superior to this Masterbilt. Similarly, I tried out a few new AJ-45ME's, and found none either inferior or superior in any way to mine. I'd have to say they seem more consistent than the J-45's.

I'm beginning to think these AJ-45ME's are a little bit like really, really ugly girls.....there are a lot of guys enjoying their company, but not talking about it much. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Great! [thumbup]

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I played mine pretty much exclusively for the first couple of weeks, now I'm enjoying the contrast between it and the DR500-MCE.

Sadly had to put them both away for a whole month while I spend a bit of time in the UK.

I'm beginning to think these AJ-45ME's are a little bit like really, really ugly girls.....there are a lot of guys enjoying their company, but not talking about it much. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Haha, except they're actually really good looking, just without makeup (gloss). [biggrin]

Is this the longest running thread on this site? June 2014 when it started

Wow! Before I joined the forum.

Couldn't help noticing on the first page that even before the guitar was shown to the general public people were complaining about the looks. Wrong pick guard, wrong rosette etc. and that was long before anybody knew about the satin finish.

Aesthetics is a cousin of "fashion"; if some famous musician showed up playing one of these matte-finished guitars , all of a sudden most of the civilized world would decide that they're not so bad looking after all. We're a strange crew.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Polish it! Take off the strings and get stuck in with some burnishing cream, nothing too severe of course. It will take on a sheen with a bit of effort. It really is worth it and if you take care you will not ruin it. There are some pictures of mine somewhere on the net, google images of the aj45me and it will pop up. As for the pickguard and the rosette, they grow on you eventually. Couldn't find a picture so here's a couple - one the left of the group and one alone.

DSCF4634_zpspxdhxypl.jpg

DSCF4590_zpsq1z7mgco.jpg

None of these things bother me anymore, I'm perfectly happy with my guitar. I only pointed it out because it amused me that people were already moaning as soon as the guitar was announced.

As I mentioned when I got mine, all the people who saw it, and didn't have the baggage of how an acoustic guitar "should" look, found it to be a beautiful guitar.

Archived