Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Custom 2013

Has anyone seen small cracks appear at the neck to body area on any Gibson? Have a hardly used black Midtown Custom that has very small cracks appearing where the neck joins the body on both sides, it is obviously a join, however, not seen this on my other guitars and the black finish makes it look worse.

Anything to worry about or is this just part of the age process?

Has anyone seen small cracks appear at the neck to body area on any Gibson? Have a hardly used black Midtown Custom that has very small cracks appearing where the neck joins the body on both sides, it is obviously a join, however, not seen this on my other guitars and the black finish makes it look worse.

Anything to worry about or is this just part of the age process?

If you bought it new, and it is still under warranty, I would take it in and have them look at it.

Agree in recommending this. A luthier should be able to tell if it's just the finish, or perhaps serious trouble might be hidden there which I don't assume. Nitro finishes can be touched up without problems.

In many cases, changes in finish around glue joints are due to remains of glue pressed out around the joint and dried. Those solid, powdery remains are hard to see and even harder to remove completely during manufacturing. Some of my Les Paul and SG guitars show it, too, and I had it repaired only in case it is annoying to touch like on a Les Paul Axcess neck joint.

In most cases it causes just some kind of ripple on the surface. I don't care for it since I prefer "rich" glue joints over those which possibly lack adhesive between the wooden adherends.

Archived