Gibson Brands Forums

1959 melody maker

Hendrixlvr

Hi there, I'm brand new to the forum . I've been searching for a Les Paul Jr, for some time now, but recently, I found and have the opportunity to purchase a 1959 gibson melody maker...this guitar is in pretty decent shape and is all original. The owner has gone down to $2500. From my research, this is a little high for a melody maker, but '59 is the first year they were made...opinions on whether I should go for it or not?

Hi there, I'm brand new to the forum . I've been searching for a Les Paul Jr, for some time now, but recently, I found and have the opportunity to purchase a 1959 gibson melody maker...this guitar is in pretty decent shape and is all original. The owner has gone down to $2500. From my research, this is a little high for a melody maker, but '59 is the first year they were made...opinions on whether I should go for it or not?

It's going to sound a lot more like a Fender a Gibson. I have both, a 1959 Les Paul Junior and a 1960 Melody Maker. The design of the pick ups is completely different. So, it depends which sound you prefer.

So the Melody Maker is more Fender, and the Jr. is more gibson?

Right, the Melody Maker bridge pup sounds like a Telecaster bridge pup. Jr bridge pup has that Gibson roar. Both my guitars only have a bridge pup, not sure how neck pups would compare.

Archived