Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Derek Trucks SG

Voodoo Monkey

Hello Friends,

Today I received my Gibson Derek Trucks SG. As some of you may know I got a 2013 SG standard early 2013 and loved the 57 Classics in it with the small pick guard and better countouring around the angles. Well my DT SG is all the same except no pick guard and it has the most amazing grain top I have ever seen on an SG. You really can't see it in the video but I will eventually post a picture of it. I got the guitar new at Sweetwater from my buddy Dennis Konicki where I got a great deal. I only play basic slide guitar so I didn't try to do a bunch of slide because it's the DT SG. Just did my own thing. This was about half an hour after she came in. I have to say this is a great, great guitar!

Here's my little video. I am playing into a Carl Martin PlexiTone going directly into the preamp in of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a MXR Carbon Copy for some delay. [woot]

Here are some photos of the actual guitar from sweetwater.

photo1_zps424be822.jpg

photo4_zps68ee63a6.jpg

photo3_zpsfc38a285.jpg

photo2-1_zps3c406445.jpg

Cheers,

Chris(Voodoo Monkey)

Nice to see you're at it, again, Chris! Good Looking Grain, on the puppy!

Congratulations! We'll need your photos, and thanks, for your sound demo

too! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thank you CB. This guitar has everything I want on an SG. The grain makes it a looker. The cherry is an older style which I like instead of being bright. I sold several guitars and getting a few new ones. [woot][laugh][scared]

Yeah, I toy with the idea of selling some, for some other's, too.

Problem (for me) is, there's nothing left, now, that I really "want"

to sell, all that much, if at all! So...??? But, I want (think

I "need") a Gibson ES-345! It's been a "bucket list" guitar, for

decades, now. Just can't decide if it's needed/wanted enough, to

get rid of something else, I love?! Heavy Sigh! (We should all

have these kinds of problems, I know... [tongue]:rolleyes: ) I guess, at some

point, I'll have to bite the bullet, and sell the ones I play the

least? Who knows? :unsure: [unsure]

CB

Yeah, I toy with the idea of selling some, for some other's, too.

Problem (for me) is, there's nothing left, now, that I really "want"

to sell, all that much, if at all! So...??? But, I want (think

I "need") a Gibson ES-345! It's been a "bucket list" guitar, for

decades, now. Just can't decide if it's needed/wanted enough, to

get rid of something else, I love?! Heavy Sigh! (We should all

have these kinds of problems, I know... [tongue]:rolleyes: ) I guess, at some

point, I'll have to bite the bullet, and sell the ones I play the

least? Who knows? :unsure: [unsure]

CB

I sold one of my 335s. One just seemed to have a dull tone and the other sounds so alive and last December I got the CS336 so I sold the dull sounding 335. I also sold my Firebird which I love but it was a long guitar. I'm in the process of selling my PRS guitars. I love them but I prefer the Gibson tones better. I was going to sell one on my Lps and after I took a picture of it then posted the add I took it right down and thought this isn't going anywhere. [laugh]

I got my custom Mayones guitar that took six months and this new SG which I really like. Just stirring up the pot a bit. I also at the beginning of the year found a used 2012 LP Goldtop which I grabbed and it's my #1 LP. Love that guitar. So many guitars and so little time. [woot]

My god that grain is so beautiful. You lucked out right there. We have one in our shop and it is no where near that pretty. Plays wonderfully though.

Yeah, it's a real nice guitar and plays great but when I saw the wood I leaped for it. LOL.

Thank you SGP. when I saw this guitar, I went for it. [laugh]

Mr.Voodoo Monkey sir,

Here is to your eye for detail.I too echo the sentiment of others when I say beautiful instrument ! I could see you smilin' inwardly as you were putting her through her paces.Bang-up job.eusa_clap.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Beautiful guitar Chris. Nice playin' too. I hope you don't regret selling your other axes. I know I always have and have decided not to sell ever again if I can help it.

Thank you Jim Zep. I have been cleaning house on my guitar collection as of late. This SG i actually returned. Great guitar but a little too neck heavy on this particular guitar. In the past two months I have sold my Firebird, 335 and one of my Les Pauls.

Thank you Jim Zep. I have been cleaning house on my guitar collection as of late. This SG i actually returned. Great guitar but a little too neck heavy on this particular guitar. In the past two months I have sold my Firebird, 335 and one of my Les Pauls.

[scared] I'm shocked! With the great grain on that body, I thought sure you'd keep it...

neck heavy or not?! [unsure] It's odd, I keep hearing of all these SG's that are neck heavy,

and yet "I've" never played, one...Except one Epiphone G-400, at my dealers. But, all the

Gibson's they've had, have all been nicely balanced. If anything, maybe very slightly body

heavy. So...??? [tongue]

CB

[scared] I'm shocked! With the great grain on that body, I thought sure you'd keep it...

neck heavy or not?! [unsure] It's odd, I keep hearing of all these SG's that are neck heavy,

and yet "I've" never played, one...Except one Epiphone G-400, at my dealers. But, all the

Gibson's they've had, have all been nicely balanced. If anything, maybe very slightly body

heavy. So...??? [tongue]

CB

LOL. Sometimes an SG will be just too neck heavy and other times they are fine. This one was heavy. If i take my left hand off the neck the guitar moves drastically. [omg]

Archived