Gibson Brands Forums

What were the stock pickups on 1986 Gibson SG Standard?

fusion01k

I know it predated the 490R/498T by a couple of years and I know they weren't Dirty Fingers or Velvet Hammers or the Lawrence designed OBL pickups. What were they? I remember they didn't sound remarkable and I removed the bridge pickup back in 1987 for a Seymour Duncan Distortion that still resides there today.

I know it predated the 490R/498T by a couple of years and I know they weren't Dirty Fingers or Velvet Hammers or the Lawrence designed OBL pickups. What were they? I remember they didn't sound remarkable and I removed the bridge pickup back in 1987 for a Seymour Duncan Distortion that still resides there today.

Probably not Shaws, either. But, they may have been the pickup that became known as the Classic 57 as they were in production by the mid 80's I believe. If the neck pickup is still original, check that one out.

Probably not Shaws, either. But, they may have been the pickup that became known as the Classic 57 as they were in production by the mid 80's I believe. If the neck pickup is still original, check that one out.

I did a little research on here and in the 1986 catalog the SG Standard is listed as having "Patent Applied For" but I have also read the mid to late 80s used "Super Humbuckers" or even " '59 Re-Issue Humbuckers". Also after some research people have found Shaw pickups in guitars of this year even up to 1987. Lastly the picture in the 1986 catalog shows the Patent Applied For sticker on the mounting rings which is an indication of Shaw pickups.

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/1986g.html

Click on the white SG in the link to pull up the 86 Standard SG specs. Notice the Patent Applied For sticker on the mounting rings. But strangely enough my 1986 SG Standard I received new for my 16th birthday back in 1986 did not have these stickers on the mounting rings.

I did a little research on here and in the 1986 catalog the SG Standard is listed as having "Patent Applied For" but I have also read the mid to late 80s used "Super Humbuckers" or even " '59 Re-Issue Humbuckers". Also after some research people have found Shaw pickups in guitars of this year even up to 1987. Lastly the picture in the 1986 catalog shows the Patent Applied For sticker on the mounting rings which is an indication of Shaw pickups.

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/1986g.html

Click on the white SG in the link to pull up the 86 Standard SG specs. Notice the Patent Applied For sticker on the mounting rings. But strangely enough my 1986 SG Standard I received new for my 16th birthday back in 1986 did not have these stickers on the mounting rings.

We'll, Shaws look very different from Super Humbuckers which is what were in my early 80's SG. That guitar also had the square inlays. Do you still have the original neck pup in it?

Hello!

Just a word on "Super Humbuckers".

If You look into mid-late 70s Gibson catalogues, You'll find, all humbucking pickups were called "Super Humbuckers". Even the Low-Z Les Paul Signature's pickups...

The 1986 Gibson SG catalogue says: "Pat. Appl. For" pickups, which are Tim Shaws on the catalogue picture. You can see the stickers on pickup mounting rings - associated with those units.

In 1987 they started to call them "1959 Les Paul Reissue" pickups on all SG models, except for Elite, which came equipped with "Spotlight" units. [unsure]

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Just a word on "Super Humbuckers".

If You look into mid-late 70s Gibson catalogues, You'll find, all humbucking pickups were called "Super Humbuckers". Even the Low-Z Les Paul Signature's pickups...

The 1986 Gibson SG catalogue says: "Pat. Appl. For" pickups, which are Tim Shaws on the catalogue picture. You can see the stickers on pickup mounting rings - associated with those units.

In 1987 they started to call them "1959 Les Paul Reissue" pickups on all SG models, except for Elite, which came equipped with "Spotlight" units. [unsure]

Cheers... Bence

That's not entirely true. And these days, most people refer to the epoxy filled pickups as the "Super Humbuckers".

78 catalogue

Archived