Gibson Brands Forums

EC's retiring (from "the Road")...Soon!

charlie brown

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/27/eric-clapton-quit-touring_n_5536551.html

He's said, several times, that when he reached 70, he'd stop touring! He'll be that

next year.

Glad I got to see him, all those times previously. They were ALL Great Concerts, too.

Oddly, I'd actually be kind of "proud" of him, for retiring, while he's still quite viable.

Much better to "go out on top," and all that. [thumbup]

CB

Did you see. Jeff Beck is also having some issues

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/Jeff-Beck-Cancels-Second-Leg-of-European-Tour.aspx

Jeff Beck, who turned 70 on June 24, has been instructed by doctors to stop performing for six weeks. He also will “undertake a short hospital procedure.” As a result, the second leg of his European tour has been cancelled.

Beck's exact health issues have not been made public. His jeffbeckofficial.com site simply issued this statement:

“It is with the greatest regret that Jeff Beck has been forced to cancel the forthcoming European dates of his worldwide tour, set to begin in Austria on June 27.

“Following many months of international touring and after seeking emergency medical attention, Jeff will now undertake a short hospital procedure, and his doctors have instructed a complete break from performance for a total of six weeks. Following the treatment, Jeff will fulfil his U.S. tour commitments beginning in Missoula, Montana, on August 8.

“He sends his profound apologies to those fans who had bought tickets for the European concerts and very much looks forward to playing for his American audiences after he has completed his treatment.”

Between touring dates, Beck has been working on a new album that he hopes to release in late 2014. He recently told Rolling Stone, “I’ve worked, worked, worked for the last three years. Now is the time really.... I thought it was time for a really good studio album I had control over and time to do properly instead of a budget problem. Even though I do have budget problems!”

Yeah, I saw that! Macca too, has had Health issues, recently, related to some "virus," or so

they say. ??? Getting "Old" is a *****!! [tongue][cursing][crying] I (sometimes) don't know which is worse?

Getting old, myself, OR being reminded of that, by watching my "hero's"

all going down the same path, and even losing some, along the way. [crying]

But, Personally, I'm grateful, for each day, and all the great music they've all given us! [thumbup]

CB

I agree its better to stop while your still on top.

Only hope he does not "retire" and then come back later on and tour again.

I went to two of Merle Haggards "last" tours when he said he was giving up the tour grind, but he is still at it today.

Retired from touring twice, only to come back and go on the road again.

I regret not having seen EC on tour yet.

Ive never had the chance to see EC live,,Id like to,,same with Jeff Beck or any of the iconic players. Now Ive seen Peter Frampton quite a few times over the past few yrs,,and always was a fantastic show from him. Its great that the icons of the gtr industry still play out when they can,,Id hate to see them never perform live. Id also like to see EVH +company out more,,Deep Purple,The Who,ect all the greats,,it helps keep gtr oriented music out there.

I agree its better to stop while your still on top.

Only hope he does not "retire" and then come back later on and tour again.

I went to two of Merle Haggards "last" tours when he said he was giving up the tour grind, but he is still at it today.

Retired from touring twice, only to come back and go on the road again.

I regret not having seen EC on tour yet.

I thought he supposedly "stopped touring " about 15-20 yrs ago- there was a big hubbub made about it then, the next thing you see him popping up everywhere, then starting the Crossroads Festival-

He might be able to retire as many times as KISS has!

I thought he supposedly "stopped touring " about 15-20 yrs ago- there was a big hubbub made about it then, the next thing you see him popping up everywhere, then starting the Crossroads Festival-

He might be able to retire as many times as KISS has!

Or, even the Eagles! [flapper][biggrin]

By the by, there's an article on this, on EC's website.

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-new-clapton-interview-uncut?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WheresEric+%28Where%27s+Eric%21+News%29

CB

Quote: He also said that the world feels too similar now, and claimed that most countries now resemble "a different version of America." He continued, "The road has become unbearable. It's become unapproachable, because it takes so long to get anywhere. It's hostile –- everywhere: getting in and out of airports, traveling on planes and in cars."

Spoken like a lot of 70 year olds! Not a big fan of "progressives or globalism" and 'longs' for the good ol days of 'freedom' from the Homeland Security BS..... eh?

All these guys who are nearing, or have surpassed, 70 years old... god bless 'em for wanting to keep on keeping on. But I am sure full-scale tours get harder and harder at their ages.

I saw Clapton at Shea Stadium in 1989(?)... 1990(?). He was touring his "August" album, so whatever year that would have been. I enjoyed it, but it was way "solo-heavy" and short on songs. I guess that was to be expected. I think I'd like to see him un-plugged in a smaller venue if I ever get to see him again.

Archived