Gibson Brands Forums

2007 les paul standard

iwalktheline

So back in March/April I bought a used 2007 les paul standard from a sam ash store. As soon as I got it I could tell something was a bit off. The G & B string kept going out of tune and even when they were in tune the G string especially sounded off a bit. I took it to my tech who has done great work on other guitars of mine to get a set up. Got it back and within a few days the G string was still acting up. I took it back to him and he looked at it on the spot, he did some minor adjustments and all was well. For the next few weeks everything seemed ok, I just broke it out today and the same thing is kind of happening again. Except this time when not plugged in on the 7th fret there is extreme buzzing on the G&B strings. It did sit for a few weeks without me playing but I'm wondering if it is a neck issue of some sorts? Any ideas?

Did you have a new nut installed? I would have done that first.

The buzz issue could be caused by just a tiny lack of neck relief.

No, I did ask my tech if I should get a new one. But, when I took it to him , he said it did not need one. I was considering fiddling with the truss rod but I don't want to mess it up more. It's just really annoying.

Have you checked the intonation?

sorry for my late response but, yes it's actually spot on. I decided that I'm going to take it back to my tech one last time. See if he can figure something out and if not either sell it or take it to another guy I used to go to, to get a second opinion.

• 1 month later...

If it's been setup by someone sensible that should have sorted any issue with nut and/or saddle.

It's most likely relief - that'll change from time to time.

It's easy to check... just fret at 1st and 17th and check the gap at the 7th-8th fret - should be about the thickness of a business card.

Archived