Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul can be a good deal

huddani

Hello,

I'm 20 years old, and playing the guitar for almost 6 years. I would like to buy a Gibson Les Paul, but I do not exacly know which would be the best for me.(it's much more complicated to make a decision that i thought) I mean I saw a lot of types of LP (studio,standard,traditional,custom,classic,classic plus,supreme) and cannot decide which to buy.(only know that the custom and supreme are too expensive for me)

Could you please help me with sharing your opinion with me?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Huddani, and welcome!

Picking a Les Paul is so personal, it's hard to tell you "which one" YOU should

buy! Best thing is, to check out the Gibson products web-site:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul.aspx

Narrow down your needs, compared to your budget, and the specifications that you

think you'd like, then go to your local Gibson dealer, and try out as many as you

can! It's really the only way to know, for sure!

The Classic, Classic Plus, Traditional, are all really just slight variations,

of the "Standard!" The Traditional, is the only one (now) that's not "weight relieved,"

and is solid, as were orignal LP Standards, back in 1952-60. The Custom Shop

Reissues (R-2(1952) thru R-O(1960)) are the closest thing, to the original Les Paul

Standards, as there are, but they are at a premium, price wise, as well. The Traditional

will get you very close, to it, without draining your budget, entirely. Any model, that

has "Plus" after it, generally means it's got a figured top (flame (aka tiger stripes),

or quilt), and/or special wiring, on the Traditional Pro.

Anyway, all that is explained, on each guitar's spec page.

Lots of other's will have suggestions, I'm sure...but, I still think it's really

best, for you to do your homework, and then try the one's that meet your criteria,

in person.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much! I think I wil compare traditional and standard.

Also if your budget is a concern you should try out one of the Les Paul Studios.. They are made in the same place as the Standards by the same people the main difference being that they don't have a shiny high gloss finish or any binding around the body or neck (the white strip)... BUT apart from that they are proper Les Pauls and are great value...

My first Gibson was a wine red studio.

These days though they have many different names.. You have the studio range and the LPM and LPJ (one with auto tuning, one with normal tuners). and also the Futura. Also the 50s, 60s and 70s Tribute models.. (there are sooooo many :))... They are all basically studio models..

One thing you want to watch out for is that Gibsons have two basic styles of neck. 50s which is rounded and the 60s slim taper neck (which is obviously slimmer :))... but as mentioned the best thing to do is just to try as many out as possible as each guitar is hand finished and so ever slightly different.

Also one other bit of advise we always give is to play them through a similar amp that you have at home when you go try them out. Its easy for the shop to stick you through some amazing amp and you want to know what it will sound like through your set up.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with [thumbup]

Also if your budget is a concern you should try out one of the Les Paul Studios.. They are made in the same place as the Standards by the same people the main difference being that they don't have a shiny high gloss finish or any binding around the body or neck (the white strip)... BUT apart from that they are proper Les Pauls and are great value...

My first Gibson was a wine red studio.

These days though they have many different names.. You have the studio range and the LPM and LPJ (one with auto tuning, one with normal tuners). and also the Futura. Also the 50s, 60s and 70s Tribute models.. (there are sooooo many :))... They are all basically studio models..

One thing you want to watch out for is that Gibsons have two basic styles of neck. 50s which is rounded and the 60s slim taper neck (which is obviously slimmer :))... but as mentioned the best thing to do is just to try as many out as possible as each guitar is hand finished and so ever slightly different.

Also one other bit of advise we always give is to play them through a similar amp that you have at home when you go try them out. Its easy for the shop to stick you through some amazing amp and you want to know what it will sound like through your set up.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with [thumbup]

to tell the truth I saw a faded les paul studio, I tryed it and it sounds really good, but I dont really know if the other models have a better sound. The neck was comfortable for me. Is the extra money worth the difference between the sounds of the studio and the standard/traditional?

to tell the truth I saw a faded les paul studio, I tryed it and it sounds really good, but I dont really know if the other models have a better sound. The neck was comfortable for me. Is the extra money worth the difference between the sounds of the studio and the standard/traditional?

There are differences in sound and playability but it is debatable how much better one sounds over another and if the expensive ones are really worth it. What kinds of music do you like to play?

The beauty of choosing a Les Paul is that there can be a great one for just about any budget.

I've played some amazing LP's in the $2-4000 range, but they are simply out of my price range.

I own a Studio, a Special, and have another Special on the way and for under $800 used, these are amazing guitars......no fancy bells and whistles, but great players with great tone.

As far as sound goes......I personally believe it comes down to the individual instrument. I've played identical models side by side and one sounded dull and the other was amazing.....if possible, get your hands on it and play it yourself.

NHTom

There are differences in sound and playability but it is debatable how much better one sounds over another and if the expensive ones are really worth it. What kinds of music do you like to play?

I really like Slash's stuff. I play GNR, AC/DC, green day, Martin Miller, Guthrie Govan, Scorpions, etc.

I would like to buy a LP with a beefy sound :D

I really like Slash's stuff. I play GNR, AC/DC, green day, Martin Miller, Guthrie Govan, Scorpions, etc.

The Les Paul Classic comes with REALLY hot pickups... Which I have and love :)

Well my first les Paul was a wine red studio which I loved. I got rid of it to get cash for my first standard. I now own the guitar listed in my signature and have found the pickups that give me my tone. Different models come with different pickups so you may find one that you love the way it plays, but don't like the tone, it may be because you don't like the pickups. So there are tons to take into consideration when you are purchasing a les Paul. Best advise is go somewhere like guitar center where they have a huge selection, and play as many of them as you can get your hands on. Research neck profiles, and pickup configurations. That way if you find a model you like the playability of, but the tone isn't working for you, and you find one that you love the tone of but not like the playability of, it may be as simple as swapping pickups in the one that feels best for you. A lot to contemplate.

Quite honestly, you could have two of the exact same guitar, same hardware and color, and they will sound different. The extra money you are spending for a standard/traditional vs a studio is mostly cosmetic. As everyone here is gonna tell you, go play as many as you can, all through an amp similar to what you have at home. I have a traditional and a studio, and they are both awesome guitars, neither is better than the other. The trad just has a little more 'bling'...

There are differences in sound and playability but it is debatable how much better one sounds over another and if the expensive ones are really worth it.

+1

Hmmmmm, I would say a 498T/490R pickup combo would be a good start.

If money is not an issue that just play as many guitars as you can until you find the one that's right. If money is an issue than play as many studios as you can. The main thing is to play a lot of different guitars and learn what you like. If your not to concerned about bindings and fancy tops than a studio is a great guitar. One other thing to think about, if you find a pickup combo you like and the guitar you like doesn't have them, I would get the guitar an change the pickups later. When you find a guitar that just feels right, you gotta get it.

Well studios use Gibson pickups and electronics the same as the Standards.. They are both made from Mahogany and with maple tops (some of the 2014 range has maple necks).. so sounds wise they all sound like Les Pauls.. :) (yes I know its not easy but the search is worth finding your "one")

This is a chart that shows rough power output of Gibson pickups (but not some of the newer types they are using)..

782216GibsonChart_zps7451df4c.jpg

Of course that's just a chart of loudness as it were.. Each Gibson pickup offers something slightly different so its well worth trying different types out.. the other thing is that if you like that hot 80s sound then you can always get more mellow pickups and some nice distortion pedals to dirty things up a bit :)

Don't confine yourself to just one or two LP models. Try everything within your budget, including used guitars. You can pick up some top notch guitars and high end guitars and save a lot of money when buying used. [thumbup]

Find what plays best and sounds best for you and don't worry too much about the model.

Alright, one of THE best LP deals would be a Gibson "The Paul" from 78-82ish. Those LPs are HUGE bang for the buck: T-top pickups, walnut necks and bodies, ebony fretboards, Grover tulip tuners, KILLER necks and cool as hell chainsaw cases to put them in. They can be had for @$600 and IMO they are much better deals than Fadeds, as they are around the same price. Super great deals they be.

post-66127-074548900 1404369402_thumb.jpg

The Studio models are great buys for the money. Most of the additional expense for the bound models is for looks. Many of my Gibsons are bound, but the "plain" ones provide a nice tone, too. Moreover, since I don't touch the fretboard edges during playing, I also feel no difference in playability.

Quite honestly, you could have two of the exact same guitar, same hardware and color, and they will sound different. The extra money you are spending for a standard/traditional vs a studio is mostly cosmetic. As everyone here is gonna tell you, go play as many as you can, all through an amp similar to what you have at home. I have a traditional and a studio, and they are both awesome guitars, neither is better than the other. The trad just has a little more 'bling'...

+1

Hmmmmm, I would say a 498T/490R pickup combo would be a good start.

I've tryed some LP, and I think I will buy a studio :) I love the way it sounds and the neck is comfortable for me :)

I've been playing guitar for 26 years, and just got my first Les Paul about a month ago. It's a 2013 LPJ, and I couldn't be happier with it. I'd intended to get a Studio, but this thing just grabbed my attention.

Try different ones, see what appeals, don't rush into anything.

• 4 weeks later...

If its not too late - have a good look at used 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standards. If you get a real 2008 guitar which has not been messed with, it should have a chambered body (well under 9 lbs and comfortable for hours), Locking tuners, locking Tone Pros Bridge and Stoptail, Burstbucker Alnico 5 p/ups and asymetrical rosewood fretboard. IMHO if you can find one of these in a maple topped burst finish you will have probably the best Les Paul money can buy, they crop up for sale in the uk from about £1200 - £1500, a bargain compared to new LP Standards.

I know 'best' is subjective and you must find 'your' guitar, but I think these are definitely high on the 'must try' list.

If its not too late - have a good look at used 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standards. If you get a real 2008 guitar which has not been messed with, it should have a chambered body (well under 9 lbs and comfortable for hours), Locking tuners, locking Tone Pros Bridge and Stoptail, Burstbucker Alnico 5 p/ups and asymetrical rosewood fretboard. IMHO if you can find one of these in a maple topped burst finish you will have probably the best Les Paul money can buy, they crop up for sale in the uk from about £1200 - £1500, a bargain compared to new LP Standards.

I know 'best' is subjective and you must find 'your' guitar, but I think these are definitely high on the 'must try' list.

The studio's 490 PU's have that "slashy" tone for sure. I bought a 2014 in Ebony. Great bang for the buck LP!

Archived