Gibson Brands Forums

Do I really require a set up? Humidifer etc?

I'm moving over to the Middle East in a couple of weeks for work and I am taking my Greco SA700 (335 copy)

I was going to have a local tech have a look over and make sure it's all in good shape etc..... but... is it really worth it? or am I wasting my money?

There are no intonation issues with the guitar

height of the strings seem fine and play fine.. no buzzing on frets etc.

neck looks straight.. no bow.

Will it be a waste of time to get it looked at?

Am I better off adjusting it while I'm in Dubai since the guitar will probably change with the weather conditions?

A little worried with the humidity change that is in Dubai.

What tips to go by so my guitar doesn't get all messed up? Not sure how to use one of those case humidifiers and/or if they do anything?

Help is much appreciated :)))) I'm sure I've come to the right place to ask my questions of concern.

Am I better off adjusting it while I'm in Dubai since the guitar will probably change with the weather conditions?

I'd let the guitar settle-in in Dubai, and see what, if any, adjustments it might need.

If your instrument will be residing in a place where there is air conditioning, (apartment/condo/hotel etc) it really wont matter much what the climate is like. If that's the situation, I would guess it should be fine, provided the plane ride doesn't offer any surprises along the way.

otherwise, exactly what Larry suggests.

/Ray

If your instrument will be residing in a place where there is air conditioning, (apartment/condo/hotel etc) it really wont matter much what the climate is like. If that's the situation, I would guess it should be fine, provided the plane ride doesn't offer any surprises along the way.

otherwise, exactly what Larry suggests.

/Ray

Doha, Qatar is the place where I'd be spending most of the time there working.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32878/Doha-Ad-Dawhah-Qatar

Humidity changes and swings quite a fair bit.

The hotel/resort will be air conditioned, but should I be looking at getting something to control the humidity in the case when the guitar is not being played?

I know Planet Waves make a kit to control humidity within the case for an acoustic guitar??

Will probably need something like that as well for my 335 as well as my acoustic that I am taking.

I'm really not sure about the whole thing as this is the first time I'm travelling with my equipment.

I think at the least I would get a hydrometer and keep that it in the case so you can see where the RH levels are.

I tend to keep guitars in the cases when I'm not playing them, so if it's in an AC'd environment, and cased most of the time I really think it will be okay.

The hydrometer will at least show you what's going on with the RH factor.

Archived