Gibson Brands Forums

64-67 SG Jr (Why so Cheap?)

GuitarCam

A local music store has this vintage Gibson SG Jr and is selling it for $950. I played a 56 Les Paul Jr at a studio and fell in love, so I'm thinking this SG Jr will get me just about as close to a Les Paul Jr as I will ever get. I'm just a little confused about why he'd be selling it for such a low price relative to what others are selling for online. He knows it's a mid 60's but it doesn't have the original knobs or vibrato arm and he mentioned something about the previous owner doing a refinish on it. Granted I haven't plugged it in to see if the electronics are good, but given that is there any reason why I should hesitate to buy such a low priced vintage SG Jr?

Here is a picture I was able to sneak of it. Its not much detail but I'm sure its enough for some of you aficionados to at least give me an idea about what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

post-66221-003067000 1404404685_thumb.jpg

He knows it's a mid 60's but it doesn't have the original knobs or vibrato arm and he mentioned something about the previous owner doing a refinish on it.

^^^ This is the reason, especially the re-fin.

Value is about half of a pristine model, so the asking price seems reasonable. Proper knobs and trem arm are easily acquired ($$), but the original finish is gone forever. I would also carefully (or have a "professional") check for a headstock repair. A headstock/neck break is the most common reason for a re-finish job. Even under a thick coat of paint this can be determined (if yo know how).

By the way, from looking at the photo... the bridge is on backwards. If the "local music store" doesn't know any better than that, I would seriously question anything they said.

If it is determined there is a headstock/neck repair, it would knock another couple of hundred bucks off the value.

^^^ This is the reason, especially the re-fin.

Value is about half of a pristine model, so the asking price seems reasonable. Proper knobs and trem arm are easily acquired ($$), but the original finish is gone forever. I would also carefully (or have a "professional") check for a headstock repair. A headstock/neck break is the most common reason for a re-finish job. Even under a thick coat of paint this can be determined (if yo know how).

By the way, from looking at the photo... the bridge is on backwards. If the "local music store" doesn't know any better than that, I would seriously question anything they said.

If it is determined there is a headstock/neck repair, it would knock another couple of hundred bucks off the value.

Good to know, thanks for the insight! I noticed the bridge being backwards (and about to fall off for that matter)... Just out of curiosity, what is the value, if any, in having a professional refinish (say if I sent it to Gibson and got a true-to-period refinish)?

... Just out of curiosity, what is the value, if any, in having a professional refinish (say if I sent it to Gibson and got a true-to-period refinish)?

The ONLY thing that matters to vintage guitar buffs, or collectors, is ORIGINAL FINISH. A re-fin is a re-fin is a re-fin, doesn't really matter who does it.

Good to know, thanks for the insight! I noticed the bridge being backwards (and about to fall off for that matter)... Just out of curiosity, what is the value, if any, in having a professional refinish (say if I sent it to Gibson and got a true-to-period refinish)?

This IS quite bad....What L5Larry states is good info. I am willing to bet that ain't much original on this guitar.....including the pickguard and screws....Steer clear unless you just have to have it!

The bridge just cracks me up though.... [lol]:lol:

and also the Strat parts!

If there's no sign of a headstock repair or other structural issue, and the guitar speaks to you, look at it as an opportunity to get a cool old guitar without paying hipster-inflated prices for crap that doesn't actually matter. Old Gibsons with non-original parts can be solid gold if you're the kind of person who just wants to play a good-feeling-and-sounding guitar.

I know this is slightly off topic but my local store once had brand new Super 400 with a Rosewood/Ebony bridge which had been fitted "backwards". The store was reluctant to turn it around because a. That's how it came from Gibson and b. The slots would be all wrong if they did.

Someone bought it like that!

DG

Archived