Gibson Brands Forums

New 1959 Gibson Les Paul R9 in Washed Cherry Burst

Mats A

I wonder what is the difference between Herritage Cherry Sunburst and Washed Cherry Sunburst?

I Wish there was a page with Custom Shop Gibson Les Pauls where you could compare the Burst colors. Often they don´t look on Picture like they do in real Life. It´s hard to take a Picture of a Burst. Often the color sort of bleeds so the red for instance looks more reddish and wider than it really is. I also got a Factory Burst Darkburst that i bought in 2012. It´s got the infamous two piece Rosewood fretboard i guess. Since you can´t see it you can never be sure. But according to Gibson it has it.

I think Heritage Cherry Sunburst says the colour looks like those made in 1959 when they were new, and Washed Cherry Burst has some kind of a bleached red in it for creating an aged appearance.

The Gibson Custom Shop Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess of mine came with a laminated fretboard. Removing the locking nut revealed that. However, the lower layer is just as thick as the binding heel, so the upper layer is thick enough for sawing fret slots without cutting it into pieces.

Thanks a lot!

I originally wanted an Iced Tea Burst but they had no in stock. But now i Think i kind of like the Washed Cherry color. The original Bursts were cherry colored. There were no Iced Teas back then. W

If you must do a refret in the future will it affect that? Will affect the tone of the guitar?

Archived