Gibson Brands Forums

What was your LAST Gibson Acoustic?

onewilyfool

Since we have a post of "First Gibsons" I thought I'd start one for "Last Gibson" What was your last Gibson acoustic? Last one I got was the Advanced Jumbo, Antique Natural…..THIS is the guitar you want to go to jams with…lol…..I like this better than my friend's D-28 which is a natural comparison. Not bass boomy and overtone-ringy like the D-28, it has the J-45 type sound, great mids, twinkling highs,and the thumpy Gibson bass. This definitely has more punch than my J-45 Pure voice, although I hesitate to use this term, I guess you could call it a 'cannon"…lol…I've never taken pics of this little devil….but here is the inspiration for latest models….

Clarence_White_CD_01_zpsbe80a838.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 1929 TG1, in lovely condition with the dark, handrubbed sunburst. I already had a small body L1 and a 14 fret L-00, so the TG completes the set. I'm a tenor guitar enthusiast anyway and this little Gibson is far and away the best tenor I've played.

First one purchased and last one purchased = only Gibson I've owned = J-35. Wonderful guitar and I seriously doubt this will be my 'last' Gibson. Currently looking at the LG-2 AE.

With Gotoh 510 open back tuners (original tuners were way too stiff) and upgraded truss rod cover with white trim.

IMG_3192b_zps966e0d24.jpg

IMG_3198b_zps9854ca4e.jpg

IMG_3235c_zps56357f51.jpg

DC

Mine is my til death do us part 2002 Advanced Jumbo Vintage Sunburst. I custom ordered it from Gibson so it didn't get hammered on while hanging in a guitar shop. I ordered it from a small shop in Buffalo. My only beef is that he lifted the Gibson pick that comes with all new ones! It was only at the shop for two hours and he pinched it immediately. Makes me wonder how good those picks are! I love my AJ.

Just about a month or so way from our first anniversary ....when she moved in with me. Got my J-35 last year and I am still trying to live up to this guitar. It is my go to guitar for jams and also great at home played at lower volume. This one really is both loud and it's voice stands out amid other guitars. Great when I am playing well, but it also seems to amplify my fumbles and mistakes too - yin & yang. She is just what I wanted when I got her!

I would take this guitar to any bluegrass jam and not feel anything but sorry for those traditionalist who only even consider playing Martin Dreads.

J-35front.jpg

J-35back.jpg

That is a beautiful Gibson. It reminds me of a Natural Dwight Yoakam HonkyTonk Deuce that I demoed before I bought my AJ. It was a sweet sounding guitar, but I just couldn't get the hang of the short scale. I love the vintage Firestripe against that Natural finish. Very beautiful guitar! Gibson puts the best finish on hands down whether it's Natural or Sunburst. Everyone else's Sunburst looks like Graffiti !

That is a beautiful Gibson. It reminds me of a Natural Dwight Yoakam HonkyTonk Deuce that I demoed before I bought my AJ. It was a sweet sounding guitar, but I just couldn't get the hang of the short scale. I love the vintage Firestripe against that Natural finish. Very beautiful guitar! Gibson puts the best finish on hands down whether it's Natural or Sunburst. Everyone else's Sunburst looks like Graffiti !

And Gibson didn't dye the Mahogany back and sides dark dark dark like some others. [thumbup]

Gibson J-15, dated 1-2-14.

It's the only J-15 I've seen with the custom shop logo.

Don't know why or what may be different,

but it's a wonderful guitar.

Bought it from AMS, and they use it for their stock

J-15 photos every time they run out of inventory.

It can currently be seen here:

www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-RS15-LIST

It has been quite a while for me. The Gibson gang has been relatively stable. But the last to come live with me was my 1942 J-50. This is the strange one that left the factory with a burst to try and cover up a screw up in the top build. It was almost a basket case when I stumbled across it. But after year with the repair guy it was reborn.

GibsonJ-45003_zps0baf2667.jpg

Wow, Dave.

A Century of Progress. Definitely a cool guitar. I have played one of the originals, and it had a sound all of its own. It also had a neck like a baseball bat! Could have used that guitar in some of the brawls I've been in over the years.

Archived