Gibson Brands Forums

What was your LAST Gibson Acoustic?

onewilyfool

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some great pieces, fellas -- Adi AJ, Legend 45, Z's J50. Love the slopes but also the RJ tribute Here's another look at my '07 J35 FVG, which, arrived in May. JK_J35.jpg

THAT is a guitar I could fall in love with. I'll bet it plays and sounds just like my J-45 Legend.n They can't be that different. Looks very similar. What string do you use? So far its Martin SP lights for me.

THAT is a guitar I could fall in love with. I'll bet it plays and sounds just like my J-45 Legend.n They can't be that different. Looks very similar. What string do you use? So far its Martin SP lights for me.

Right now, I'm using Martin Retro Lights (nickel). Accentuates the punch factor. With PBs, it's more zingy. Plays great, regardless. Soundwise, yours and mine would be close, maybe a little more punch and snap on the 35 (at least, that's the impression I had comapring an OJ to an L). R

I use the Retros on my FVG J 50--and love the punch. Takes me back to the days when nickels ruled the world.

Not to highjack the thread, but once I got used to the nickel sound (which didtnt take long), I was hooked. Really like 'em on my National steel as well. PBs on that one were too 'furry'- now its like a big hoking archtop.

Mine is my til death do us part 2002 Advanced Jumbo Vintage Sunburst. I custom ordered it from Gibson so it didn't get hammered on while hanging in a guitar shop. I ordered it from a small shop in Buffalo. My only beef is that he lifted the Gibson pick that comes with all new ones! It was only at the shop for two hours and he pinched it immediately. Makes me wonder how good those picks are! I love my AJ.

Update: I bought my AJ in October of 2002. I just emailed Customer Service and told them about my Gibson Pick getting pinched. I'll just say that Gibson's Customer Service is staffed by some AWESOME folks. I dreamed of having a Gibson ever since my older Sister got her's when I was six. My only two acoustics are my AJ and a Gibson made '68 Kalamazoo KG-10 al Mahogany. After they hooked me up like they just did, my only acoustics (or electrics) will have The Gibson brand on them forever. This company is just unreal.

• 4 months later...

Clarence_White_CD_01_zpsbe80a838.jpg

So now I'm confused. I thought Clarence White's D-28 is supposed to be the greatest guitar ever made and so Tony Rice plays it. But Clarence is shown here with a blonde AJ.

Ironic.

Anybody know the story?

FMA

BTW: I'm glad this thread was revived. It makes great reading. Congrats to all of you and your great guitars.

Wow, Dave.

A Century of Progress. Definitely a cool guitar. I have played one of the originals, and it had a sound all of its own. It also had a neck like a baseball bat! Could have used that guitar in some of the brawls I've been in over the years.

The neck is definitely different and I like it.

I've never owned a Gibson flat-top, or ANY other steel-stringed round-hole flat-top guitar for that matter.

So.... I guess I should not have even responded to this thread, I just like to show you the "other side" now and then!

my last was a J200 western Classic.. sounded okay.. But I sent it back.. that would be the last gibson.. Now for martins.. yesterday.. a Authentic 41 d28. Killer guitar.. tommorrow.. maybe something new again..

I just reclaimed the last guitar I purchased (bought earlier this year) recently, a '43 SJ:

P1090344_zps3e68ae2c.jpg

It was at Dennis Berck's for a neck reset, and some minor tune-up items, and some Willi bridge pins.

P1090345_zpsb28db30a.jpg

It has a large neck, and -- surprisingly for me -- it is still eminently playable for me (I usually like a low profile C-neck), likely due to Dennis' excellent set up job.

Sounds great -- I'm a happy camper!

Fred

I just reclaimed the last guitar I purchased (bought earlier this year) recently, a '43 SJ:

P1090344_zps3e68ae2c.jpg

It was at Dennis Berck's for a neck reset, and some minor tune-up items, and some Willi bridge pins.

P1090345_zpsb28db30a.jpg

It has a large neck, and -- surprisingly for me -- it is still eminently playable for me (I usually like a low profile C-neck), likely due to Dennis' excellent set up job.

Fred

Whoa!

P1090344_zps3e68ae2c.jpg

P1090345_zpsb28db30a.jpg

Fred

Fred, you find this one under a bed someplace???? Looks "closet kept" condition…….nice addition!

Fred, you find this one under a bed someplace???? Looks "closet kept" condition…….nice addition!

Yeah, not under a bed, that's for sure. It has been used, and has some wear, but it just hasn't been played heavily, and it has not been 'left out in the barn after the dance' sort of thing.

Comparing the rosettes, I have a photo of my '53 and this '43 side by side, and you can see the difference:

rosettes_zps4c5ac486.jpg

Fred

Archived