Gibson Brands Forums

What was your LAST Gibson Acoustic?

onewilyfool

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we have a post of "First Gibsons" I thought I'd start one for "Last Gibson" What was your last Gibson acoustic? Last one I got was the Advanced Jumbo, Antique Natural…..THIS is the guitar you want to go to jams with…lol…..I like this better than my friend's D-28 which is a natural comparison. Not bass boomy and overtone-ringy like the D-28, it has the J-45 type sound, great mids, twinkling highs,and the thumpy Gibson bass. This definitely has more punch than my J-45 Pure voice, although I hesitate to use this term, I guess you could call it a 'cannon"…lol…I've never taken pics of this little devil….but here is the inspiration for latest models….

Clarence White is my guitar hero, so that endorsement (if you will) is good enough for me. Seriously, although I'm liking my regular AJ that I bought this past summer a lot, I still may have to trade it for a natural at some point. Fuller's had one a few years ago and the grain was beautiful, I can't forget it.

how does it compare to the JB next to it? Curious

My first impression

Feels lighter and more balanced although they both weigh 4.4 lbs

The vee neck is definitely more comfortable to me

Sound wise no comparison. The JB blows it away and makes the Deluxe sound dead. I'll change strings and get rid of the tusk saddle and compare again

I have not compared the electronics and will wait until I change the saddle and strings

My first impression

Feels lighter and more balanced although they both weigh 4.4 lbs

The vee neck is definitely more comfortable to me

Sound wise no comparison. The JB blows it away and makes the Deluxe sound dead. I'll change strings and get rid of the tusk saddle and compare again

I have not compared the electronics and will wait until I change the saddle and strings

Thanks. What strings do you use on the JB?

I like that look. Except for the pick guard, it looks like the '94 The 1934 Gibson Jumbo Centennial guitar of the month.

http://web.archive.o...1934_Jumbo.html

Bela voce inlays are the same (Jorma's early-90s Walker-built natural top J35 also has these inlays, so the inlay pattern was apparently popular when Walker was there), but differences are that the Centennial 34 Jumbo is long scale, & additionally mine has a banner headstock inlay and abalone purfling.

Archived