Gibson Brands Forums

2014 is definitively not my year

awel

So after being fired from my own blues rock trio few month ago (luckily I am in another band now), Thursday I was called by the N°2 of my company and ... I've been fired!

I still can't believe it, they called me 4 month ago to join their company, I was employee of another one but they proposed me a better salary and a better company car, so I joined them as a test engineer, I never lied during my interviews so I told them I was not a developper, I have basic knowledge but not to pretend to be a developer.

They said I was not meeting their expectation, but I was supposed to do testing not development!

Sorry to talk about this on this forum but I feel ashamed to tell my family and friends :(

That's a tough break in the road that's for sure!! The key is to pick yourself up, regroup, and move full ahead w/o looking back. The ONLY reason to look back, IMHO, is to see what you could have done better, seen the situation clearer, or what to avoid doing! If you can't see anything your could have done or seen for a different outcome, then that's the the deal of THIS hand of the cards. YOU'RE NOT OUT OF THE GAME HOWEVER!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Being in business, I've been wrongfully sued for $350,000.00, at times deal with unreasonable demands and make them okay on my pocketbook, and battle with employees that have tried to walk off with my vendors/clients. Harsh words but meant to really help you out here. Get over it FAST and use those engineering skills to logically evaluate your situation & how you got there, and get cracking! Screw the embarrassment & shame as it won't help you a dime. Business can make mistakes, and instead of working with you by placing into another position, they either weaned out or maybe had no other choice due to $$.

Best wishes to you in your search. Life can be a bowl of cherries but you do have to deal with the pits!

Aster

Sorry for you having lost your job. Since I share this fate, I know what you are talking about. I lost mine on December 31st, 2012, and due to two ill-fated belly surgeries in December, 2012 I am still unable to work.

I also had my share of experiences with company politics. The international group which purchased my former employer in 2005 is allegedly the biggest researching pharmaceutical company of the world since 2012. They crashed our site to the ground through mismanagement, mainly buying inferior raw materials and cutting time scheduling for cleaning and disinfection, either to reduce costs. There are three sites which were shut down by US and Canadian authorities due to hygiene problems, and they keep on crashing other facilities. Therefore I know well about the gap between investor's talk and reality, and sadly also between job reference and reality. I never helped anybody in crashing a company or a site and will never do so, and this made me a bad boy in their eyes.

So when they said you didn't meet their expectations it doesn't need to be the truth. This may be their attempt to hide from the very reasons for business problems.

What about returning to your previous employer? Would they have a job for you again?

Thank you.

I am trying to stay positive but I am 39, and so I begin to stress a bit, I have a baby since last September, so it is not only about myself but about the future of my family.

I think the worst part is being afraid of being judged by the other even my friends, and could not talk to anyone is the worst.

About my previous company, yes I called them and they need to see if they have some positions for my profile.

I cross my fingers.

and I continue to explore and think about a solution

Poor management on their part is no cause for embarrassment on your part.

I used to work for a company that would place workers in positions they were not good at and push them then just figure it was the worker's fault when they failed to do it as well as they hoped. One of the guys I worked with there quit and went to the company I am at now. He was a Mechanical engineer, but not a good designer at all and that's what the other company had him doing. At the company I am with now that same guy does paperwork that nobody else wants to do and he's really good at it, highly valued. My current company cultivates strengths not forces a person to work through weakness. Much better managers.

Thank you.

I am trying to stay positive but I am 39, and so I begin to stress a bit, I have a baby since last September, so it is not only about myself but about the future of my family.

I think the worst part is being afraid of being judged by the other even my friends, and could not talk to anyone is the worst.

About my previous company, yes I called them and they need to see if they have some positions for my profile.

I cross my fingers.

I cross my fingers for you, Awel.

Those who would choose to be negatively judgmental to you are not your friends Awel.

Sending positive thoughts your way, Things tend to work out in the end, relax, take it one day at a time, and try to have a little faith that this too shall pass.

/Ray

Thank you.

I cross my fingers.

Hello...

Yes do stay positive... I was in the software dev industry for about 18 years (im 40 now)... Its a silly industry (computer games) due to the fact that its constantly changiing and sadly part of it is that companies are quite unstable... ive been made redundant several times.. And theres two ways to look at it.. You can worry and stress and see it as a bad thing, or you can try and see it as a new opportunity to do something that you will enjoy even more than the last job.

Because of the lack of work caused by the recession and the fact that ive now been out of the industry for many years I started making my own guitars just to keep busy initially... BUT now im looking at trying to make it my full time job. Im still not sure if it will work out but if it does I will get to do something I love hopefully for many years.. And all because I was out of work for so long or I would probably never have thought about even trying to do it..

So really, you just never know whats around the corner until it happens... And it could be the most amazing thing you cant even imagine right now... So keep an eye out for new opportunities and maybe even think about something you have always wanted to do and try and move yourself in that direction..

Good luck man [thumbup]

Hello...

Yes do stay positive... I was in the software dev industry for about 18 years (im 40 now)... Its a silly industry (computer games) due to the fact that its constantly changiing and sadly part of it is that companies are quite unstable... ive been made redundant several times.. And theres two ways to look at it.. You can worry and stress and see it as a bad thing, or you can try and see it as a new opportunity to do something that you will enjoy even more than the last job.

Because of the lack of work caused by the recession and the fact that ive now been out of the industry for many years I started making my own guitars just to keep busy initially... BUT now im looking at trying to make it my full time job. Im still not sure if it will work out but if it does I will get to do something I love hopefully for many years.. And all because I was out of work for so long or I would probably never have thought about even trying to do it..

So really, you just never know whats around the corner until it happens... And it could be the most amazing thing you cant even imagine right now... So keep an eye out for new opportunities and maybe even think about something you have always wanted to do and try and move yourself in that direction..

Good luck man [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs,

I totally agree with your point of view, but I have bills and credits to pay end of month, how are you dealing with that?

Thanks Rabs,

I totally agree with your point of view, but I have bills and credits to pay end of month, how are you dealing with that?

Yeah I hear that totally....

I am VERY lucky in the fact that I have amazing parents who are willing to (and can) help me out.. I also get money from the government (not very much)..

But I still have pretty much no money to do anything.. and I donno, you just find a way to deal with these things...

Previously when I have been out of work I got a bank loan to tide me over... but that's not necessarily the best way to deal with things but it worked in the past (and banks arnt too quick to give out loans these days)...

I guess my main point is not that ohh you can do what ever you want now, cos obviously reality says different... BUT just that you never know whats around the corner and keeping an open mind about what work you are willing to do and what you want to do in life helps keep you positive about whats coming and may open up something you haven't previously considered. Which can in fact lead to really interesting and good things.

Always a tough scene to be in for sure...sad that todays world you cant retire with a company you started with when you were younger....seems like every 10 years you almost have to start over again from scratch...for us in our late 40's early 50's and perhaps 60's the challenge seems to be related to our mental well being rather than our financial one altho sometimes we struggle with both...the good news is it's only temporary cause things do lighten up.........sounds to me Awel that they weren't meeting your expectations not you meeting thiers.....screw em, thier loss.

Nothing to be ashamed of, sounds like it was probably a company that has no idea what they are doing anyways. I always find in these situations, that you wind up better anyways. Keep the chin up and stay positive, there is always a silver lining if you look for it.

Sorry to hear that bud. Best wishes on finding another job

My girlfriend works for Beckman Coulter and the company got bought out a few years ago. The company that bought it is running it into the ground. My girlfriend just had all of her hours cut last week.

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry to learn this Bert. I have no advice that hasn't already been offered.

I had my 'annus horribilis' in 2013 but so far 2014 has treated me very well. New job that has gone ridiculously well, new house that I found for far lower rent than I'd be prepared to pay and with very cool neighbours, I keep winning things/having windfalls, etc, etc.

Hopefully you'll have a fantastic year next year. Better still if things turned around for you sooner, of course.

My son was 31 (now 33)and over 13 years worked his way to management in his last job. One day they called him in the office and said they need to cut back and he was finished there and then. If he agreed to leave that day they would give him a good severance payment. So he did and it's been the making of him. We live in Birmingham England and he moved to Somerset to live with his girlfriend (now fiancée) and re trained himself and now has his own business and is the happiest he's ever been. So Awel, good things can come from bad things. All the best and move forward.

There's no shame in losing a job. We've all been there… and I'd guess that in most instances it's poor decisions being made by companies than poor performance by the employee.

I was out of work, on and off, for three years between 2010 and 2013. Just a crummy job market with one company not appreciating what I brought to the table. In the end, their (his) short-sightedness was a good thing, as I landed my perfect job last year.

We all have lousy years, but there are always silver linings—as cliché as that might sound. So hang in there!

The real difficulty - worse in ways than loss of income - in such stuff is a feeling of personal failure that isn't necessarily correct.

I worked at one place where, when I was being recruited, I said outright that I do not want to be considered unless I have a guarantee of 10 years unless I croak or become incapacitated. I've always given more than I was paid. That was obvious.

But... I didn't like the boss's dog and preferred to work than go partying. I lasted two years. Another longtime pro didn't last two weeks at the same job.

Stuff happens.

Best of luck, though. It's a tough old world out there now.

m

Hey Awel, sorry to hear that mate. I am about to be given notice this week, after 20 years service. It does hurt, but try to look beyond the feelings of rejection (which I have felt too). Chin up, buddy.

I've been let go two times, about 20-25 years ago.

I was laid off the first time and then after working for another company for a few years the entire office was closed and we were all laid off, it hurt either way but something better came along each time. Stay positive and you will end up in a better place.

That's unfortunate Al - especially afer such a short time there. No warning/performance management process?

My previous job was made redundent at 38 with another child due a few months later and it is certainly a strange feeling at the time. From my experience I'd say keep busy and stay positive - hey, this is the only life you get so don't waste it being down and I'm sure your loved ones will be sympatheic and supporting. Someone earlier said that these things usually work out for the best and that's my experience too. Think broadly about what you want to do with yourself next. [smile]

One of my ex-bosses who I respected used to say "..remember guys, at the end of the day its only work, not life". [thumbup]

Half my life(20 years) (I was 42)spent at my first job, worked my way up from the factory floor into a Quality Auditor's job, travelling and assessing suppliers, then the company decides it is going to cut 2000 jobs on the same day as a cost savings. I was one of the cost savings for them. It was the hardest thing that ever happened to me. But don't despair and don't feel ashamed, lean on your family and friends. If they love you, they will lift you up. Your career will probably improve. Mine did and now I am in the best job I have ever had and I am glad of it since I will probably retire from this job. Keep the Faith, AWEL. [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AWEL,

Any updates on your job situation? Also, how are doing now after the intial shock/slap has lightened up? Best wishes still & hope you find that great job behind one of the doors soon!!! [thumbup] Hang tough. Lots of good wishes here and some sage advice from others too that I read.

Aster

Hey AWEL,

Any updates on your job situation? Also, how are doing now after the intial shock/slap has lightened up? Best wishes still & hope you find that great job behind one of the doors soon!!! [thumbup] Hang tough. Lots of good wishes here and some sage advice from others too that I read.

Aster

Hi,

Thank you for asking :)

I have contacted my previous company and explained them the situation. So they told me they have an opportunity for me if I pass an interview with a bank, they'll hired me.

So I pass the interview and I got the job. :)

Ok it is not a rock star position but this will protect my family :)

Archived