Gibson Brands Forums

Canadian Gibsons

Space Pup

Guest NattyBumppo

Yummy! Man, I'd like to get my hands on a CSM. So what is the deal with these CanGibbys? Are they made at a Gibson shop in Canada or just a separate line of guitars mad ein Bozeman for the Canadien market?

I live 12 miles from the Canadian border and my mother was born there, so I have a somewhat positively slanted view of some good people keeping their jobs. The buggers may run Irving and Tim Horton's down our throat but they're a great bunch of people.

Edit: Although I think it would be TRES friggin' cool if the Gibson logo on these had a little maple leaf incorporated into it.

2v1rvuq.jpg

I live in Vancouver and although this town isn't typical of The Great White North (we have palm trees here) it's a Very Canadian town, I think it's marvelous they are making Gibsons down east, you are right ksdaddy, some nice folks get to keep their jobs, and you won't meet much nicer folks than Newfies, they have had a rough time in recent years, the fish are all gone, and fish was pretty much all they had, rather than re-training fishermen to be computer programmers some of them will be learning to make guitars, the guitars will be well made and they will be proud of them, they will also be proud to be part of the story of Gibson.I like the looks of these new Gibsons, something different, let's see how they sound.

Yummy! Man' date=' I'd like to get my hands on a CSM. So what is the deal with these CanGibbys? Are they made at a Gibson shop in Canada or just a separate line of guitars mad ein Bozeman for the Canadien market?[/quote']

That's what I'm wondering. I'd like to check out the DSR but when you click on the Buy Now button, it takes you to a page with a list of American dealers. I'll have to ask the gang at L&McQ if they've seen any in the store here in Calgary.

Guest NattyBumppo
Gibson bought Garrison (in Newfoundland) back in July. I'm not sure if Garrison guitars will continue to be made (I think so' date=' just don't KNOW so) but they (Garrison) are now building guitars with the Gibson brand name to be in the $800-$1000 price. [/quote']

Thanks for the clarification Daddy. The price point you mentioned is a brilliant move, IMO. Slightly different from the usual Gibby yet still comes with full Gibson backing and heritage. I think where they've positioned the line will make a lot of people give them a second look before turning to Larrivee, low end Taylors and even the import Guilds.

News36...I've been told time and time again about the wonderful people in Newfoundland and their hospitality. I've been meaning spend some time there and split it between a hunting trip and general vacation/sight seeing to take in the local culture. A few years back I spent a week in Labrador and our guide, Dermot, was a Newfie. Fabulous guy, very colorful, cheerful, and just a lot of fun to be around.

Gibson bought Garrison (in Newfoundland) back in July. I'm not sure if Garrison guitars will continue to be made (I think so' date=' just don't KNOW so) but they (Garrison) are now building guitars with the Gibson brand name to be in the $800-$1000 price. [/quote']

I played a CSR-CE for just a few minutes at Apple Music in Portland today. Nice rosewoody tone and some punch, but not great action. And it didn't feel like a Gibson, though that may be because I'm not used to playing Gibsons with electrics in them. I'd have to give it a much more thorough test drive to be sure, but I'm not sold at the moment. Especially at the price, which was $1,559.

I wish they had J-45 pickguards so they'd look more like a Gibson and less like a Taylor.

Also played a Sheryl. If it ain't a Hummingbird with different plumage, you couldn't prove it by me.

Archived