Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up this SG as my first guitar....what can you tell me about it?

highlux

I really like it. Im starting to learn late...Im 44. But I will learn to play it no matter what. Starting weekly lessons soon....have downloaded 100 gigs of guitar videos and stuff.

My first lesson was....picks disappear into thin air.

My first lesson was....picks disappear into thin air.

They keep on doing that until eternity I guess. Sometimes they hide in hollowbody or semi-hollow guitars, entering them through the sound hole(s). [biggrin]

Buy a big pack of the picks you like and keep them all over the place. :)

Play every day, even if it's just a few minutes at a time.

Play the music that brings you joy. Tons of stuff is pretty simple chords. Learn the two basic bar chords (based on E and A chords) and you can play along with damned near anything.

You SG is a 1966 or so re-issue. That pickguard shape is often called a "batwing" shape.

Take a look at this thread: Epi Serial numbers to date your guitar. According to it, you have an SG made in March of 2008 at the QingDao factory in China.

Welcome to the SG club my friend, no finer electric guitar has ever been made.

Interesting to see how enthusiastic you are about playing. An SG is a great guitar to always play from a beginner to a person that has played many years, versatile. msp_thumbup.gif Keep everyone here informed of your progress with your personal and on line lessons. msp_thumbup.gifmsp_smile.gif

The SG type is far more versatile than some might have you believe. It can do about any style of music but bluegrass or "acoustic folkie gotta be the right kinda sound" playing.

As for the picks... I doggone seldom use anything but the thumb and various fingers on my right hand - and it was so even when I started playing some years ago. <grin> But for bluegrass and "old time," they're fine. Or rhythm playing in a lotta various styles.

Welcome to the "I'll never get this down perfectly" age group. 30 years ago you might have thought you could, or did - now you know it's a lifelong challenge always to learn more and always to perform better, even if you're the only audience.

m

I should have kept track how many of them I find in the washer/dryer afterwards. Practically every wash cycle, I'm sure.

lol. Excited about my lesson tomorrow. Looked the instructor up online. He is talented and a good guy.

I def will do. And I bought a big pack of medium picks in a bright orange today....so I can spot them easier.

I like this site already.

Unfortunately, they make my #1 choice picks just in grey. But luckily, since I use these Dunlop MAX-Grips for about two years, I never lost a single one, and so I still have three dozens of them. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi highlux

I did not start until I was 40 some years ago.

I learned to do all my own setup work and like many of us have had that sg model.

It is a great instrument if set well, likely the instructor can check it out. The neck relief may need checked with season changes but that is normal for many guitars.

So it is a legit instrument and as milod said capable of a wide range of sounds.

Enjoy the journey......

Looks great. Back when I was first learning guitar, the SG model was called the "Les Paul" model because the original Les Pauls had be discontinued. I think the SG is a tad easier to learn on because it isn't as heavy as the original (and current) Les Pauls. Enjoy the journey!

Archived