Gibson Brands Forums

Toy Amps

I've had one of those miniature 'toy' Marshall twin stack amps for several years, messed about with it for 5 mins, though it was a piece of crap(I only bought it as a joke at the time) and chucked it into a bag with other bits. I recently bought a mini amp I saw on YouTube just so I could sit out on the verandah and practice along to it's built in drum rhythms, then I realized it chewed thru 9 v transistor batteries, so I bought a power supply for it.( actually turned out to be an internal fault I had to have repaired) I noticed it was a common power supply for the little Marshall, so I gave that another whirl with a mate one night, and I was stunned by the sound of this little toy. I'm now having a lot of fun with it, and I'm amazed at the power of this little thing. With the right combo of settings, it is way more than it has any right to be! I know it is what it is, but am I alone here in liking this little thing? [blush]

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah , there's a whole range of them, Marshal , Danelectro , Fender. Really cheap , too. If you go for the Marshal , get the twin stack. It's much better than the single, I think . Also, persevere with it , cos it may take a while to work out how to make it sound good. [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Roland Micro Cube and would not trade it for anything. It will run for what seems like forever on a set of AA batteries and also comes with an AC adapter. Much better quality sound than one of those toy Marshall amps. You can usually find them used for around $50 or so and they are pretty close to indestructible. There's a reason so many street musicians use them.

Another option would be one of the many varieties of Amplug from Vox. Plug it to your guitar and plug a set of headphones to it and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Roland Micro Cube and would not trade it for anything. It will run for what seems like forever on a set of AA batteries and also comes with an AC adapter. Much better quality sound than one of those toy Marshall amps. You can usually find them used for around $50 or so and they are pretty close to indestructible. There's a reason so many street musicians use them.

Another option would be one of the many varieties of Amplug from Vox. Plug it to your guitar and plug a set of headphones to it and away you go.

Yeah, apples and oranges, though. Different class of amp. The toy amps are probably 1/2 watt, the Roland is 2 watt. Bigger speaker too. Very nice, no doubt. [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

I had one of the toy Fender amps. It was okay; not too impressive. I lost it, or it was stolen or something. I built a little SS OP amp out of one of those boxes from a craft store, a 4" Radio Shack speaker and put together the circuitry myself from internet instructions. That sounds much better than the old Fender did.

I bought a 3 watt Vox Mini 2G as a travel amp, now that is amazingly good for its size and like the Roland runs and runs on AA batteries or you can plug it in. They're around $100 or more, but worth it. Nice little amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this would be considered a "toy" amp, but I have Fender Mini Mustang. I love that lil thing for practice and taking out to play outdoors (camping)it can play wide open for about 4 solid hours powered by 6,C batteries. It's the only amp out of 6 that I own that is not a tube amp. The models are very accurate to my ears. My lab pup chewed the tolex on the top corners the day after I got it LOL.I just couldn't be mad at a cute lil chocolate lab pup? Anyway, if Ya get a chance try one out. They are great lil modeling amps and can be run off a wall socket power or 6, C batteries. Have good 'un.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had one of those miniature 'toy' Marshall twin stack amps for several years, messed about with it for 5 mins, though it was a piece of crap(I only bought it as a joke at the time) and chucked it into a bag with other bits. I recently bought a mini amp I saw on YouTube just so I could sit out on the verandah and practice along to it's built in drum rhythms, then I realized it chewed thru 9 v transistor batteries, so I bought a power supply for it.( actually turned out to be an internal fault I had to have repaired) I noticed it was a common power supply for the little Marshall, so I gave that another whirl with a mate one night, and I was stunned by the sound of this little toy. I'm now having a lot of fun with it, and I'm amazed at the power of this little thing. With the right combo of settings, it is way more than it has any right to be! I know it is what it is, but am I alone here in liking this little thing? [blush]

Man I keep two of those tiny Marshalls around the house. They can really growl with humbuckers to the point of feedback.[biggrin]

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had one of those wee little Marshall amps. I used to call it my GI Joe half-stack. I would fart around with it and would even mic it up from time to time. It had a great distortion and feed back tone. Rather than move the guitar around in front if the speaker, I would hold the amp in my hand and wave it around the guitar.

• 2 months later...

Not that this is a toy amp buy it beats the piss out of those little plastic pieces of junk.

Pignose 7-100 is the coolest little amp. Not meant to be played loud but gives you the crunch you need at low volumes and can sound real clean too.

^^^ This, a thousand times, this....

Another thing cool with a Pignose is they get really dirty as the batteries get weak, so I run mine off a 7.5v wall wart I found instead of a 9v.

For a while I had my brothers and used both at once with my ABY pedal, one at 9v and one at 7.5v

Pignose rules for small fun amps. In fact there so cheap ($75) I think I'm going to buy another one, I miss having 2....

Archived