Gibson Brands Forums

All the kids

MissouriPicker

Just wanted to drop by and show a pic of my Gibson Family. The new additions are the AJ that I got last month and the brand new J15 that I got yesterday. The J15 has me all fired-up to get that video on the J60, J150, and AJ edited. .... Hope this works. Never posted pics before. Top row L to R---AJ, J45, J60, J150

Bottom Row L to R--- Hummingbird, J15, Dove.

photo1_zps6e2ee46b.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments. The J15 is going to a Health Food Store (Nature's Pantry) gig tonight and a Music in The Park concert this Friday evening.......Wily, regarding a Martin---In all sincerity I went up there leaning toward another HD28 or maybe a D28. I've kind of been thinking J15 ever since I got hooked on the combination of woods it has, but I was figuring another Martin was due its time at my house. I had the money in-hand for the HD and they had a new one that wasn't there last week.. What I was not expecting was three J15s. Last week they had one. Anyways, I played them all against the HD28 and even admitting my Gibson bias, they all three sounded better than the Martin. I have heard better Martins. The J15s all had a woody and thumpy tone to them. They were not jangley or bright. The guitar tech at GC told me he had put Clear Tone lites on all of them. Never used them before, but they sound fine for now. ......I know there are stronger HD28s, I owned one, but this particular one actually did sound the proverbial "muddy" at times. Don't know what strings it had or for how long, but the notes seemed to run-together to the point where the guitar sounded out-of-key if you strummed hard, and it was in tune. Anyway, the J15 truly is an excellent guitar. 1327 (including state. county, city taxes approx. 8.4%)out the door. I believe "cash is king" at GC, along with having a customer history with them. If you don't think the price is near the best they can do, then walk away. If you do a lot of business with a place, I think they should bend a bit more for you... I have no idea when this GAS subsides, or if it does. [thumbup] ............Don't be hesitant of buying a new J15 over the internet. Find a good dealer and the price you're willing to pay. If the ones I've played are anything like the majority being made, they are excellent instruments. You can always return it, but if you want something a bit different in tone, yet down home and woody sounding, you're going to love it. Don't know if I had a walnut guitar before now. Really impressive.....at least in my view. Again, thanks for the comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice comments. The J15 is going to a Health Food Store (Nature's Pantry) gig tonight and a Music in The Park concert this Friday evening.......Wily, regarding a Martin---In all sincerity I went up there leaning toward another HD28 or maybe a D28. I've kind of been thinking J15 ever since I got hooked on the combination of woods it has, but I was figuring another Martin was due its time at my house. I had the money in-hand for the HD and they had a new one that wasn't there last week.. What I was not expecting was three J15s. Last week they had one. Anyways, I played them all against the HD28 and even admitting my Gibson bias, they all three sounded better than the Martin. I have heard better Martins. The J15s all had a woody and thumpy tone to them. They were not jangley or bright. The guitar tech at GC told me he had put Clear Tone lites on all of them. Never used them before, but they sound fine for now. ......I know there are stronger HD28s, I owned one, but this particular one actually did sound the proverbial "muddy" at times. Don't know what strings it had or for how long, but the notes seemed to run-together to the point where the guitar sounded out-of-key if you strummed hard, and it was in tune. Anyway, the J15 truly is an excellent guitar. 1327 (including state. county, city taxes approx. 8.4%)out the door. I believe "cash is king" at GC, along with having a customer history with them. If you don't think the price is near the best they can do, then walk away. If you do a lot of business with a place, I think they should bend a bit more for you... I have no idea when this GAS subsides, or if it does. [thumbup] ............Don't be hesitant of buying a new J15 over the internet. Find a good dealer and the price you're willing to pay. If the ones I've played are anything like the majority being made, they are excellent instruments. You can always return it, but if you want something a bit different in tone, yet down home and woody sounding, you're going to love it. Don't know if I had a walnut guitar before now. Really impressive.....at least in my view. Again, thanks for the comments.

Wow outstanding line up man!!! Nice.

Not sure if I could pick a "one and only." Two weeks ago a longtime friend offered me more than I paid for my J60. I told him I needed a couple days to think about it. During those two days I played the J60 a lot. An awful lot. I'll keep it. It's just a real sweet instrument. I kind of feel like that about all of them. Really don't know if I could pick one and let the others go. And in regards to the Dove, the name "Dove" is a misnomer for sure. This guitar is not the traditional and gentle bird that the name implies. While it is a true beauty and songbird, it is equally a sound monster. It has two personalities. A gentle Dove and a pit bull.

Archived