Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar stands can damage an acoustic?

Gibson Artist

I was wondering can a foam guitar stand like the ones sold at guitar center hurt a quality acoustic? The manual says not to keep them on there for it can damage it. Was wondering if some people here put some kind of cloth on theirs or buy a more higher end model?

Love my J-15 and want to keep it pristine for years to come, its already humidified so any tips on how i can clean it or keep it in the same shape greatly appreciated. :)

I used to simply put an old t-shirt over the "A" frame stands that I use, but not anymore - just lazy I guess. My guitars don't spend much time on the stand.

You got quite a collection too! Id love to own a true vintage 45 someday. When you say they dont stay on the stands much is that because you keep em cased?

well, it is definitely well known the nitro will react badly to the material used in the guitar stands, even the ones that say "finish safe" most often are not.

so as Dan mentions, we just tend wrap a t-shirt around the spots where the finish will come in contact with the stand.

I cut strips form an old cotton t-shirt or an old guitar cloth use a real small tie wraps to permanently secure the cotton to the areas where the guitar will touch the stand.

(yep I'm that anal)

well, it is definitely well known the nitro will react badly to the material used in the guitar stands, even the ones that say "finish safe" most often are not.

so as Dan mentions, we just tend wrap a t-shirt around the spots where the finish will come in contact with the stand.

I cut strips form an old cotton t-shirt or an old guitar cloth use a real small tie wraps to permanently secure the cotton to the areas where the guitar will touch the stand.

(yep I'm that anal)

Thanks, i will definately look into wrappin it up.

Hi G Artist

Very cool case stand-where can I order one? Thanks in advance for the info.

Regards,

Moose

Homemade, er, hand crafted [biggrin] Cost me less than $20 because I had most of this lumber hanging around.

GuitarRack.jpg

While on this subject ... and another warning to the OP....(as if he isn't already paranoid enough). [flapper]

Clip on tuners...the little rubber pads that protect your guitar can, if left on long enough, damage the finish when the chemicals in the rubber pad reacts. My CJ-165 has three little lines ||| that look just like the pattern on the pad of my Snark tuner on exactly the same spot on the headstock where I clip it. I believe one night when falling asleep playing guitar, I hung it on my wall hanger and went to bed and a couple days later when I grabbed the guitar and took off the tuner there it was.

Tune and take it off.

Homemade, er, hand crafted [biggrin] Cost me less than $20 because I had most of this lumber hanging around.

GuitarRack.jpg

When you make mine Dan (I only need one) could you customize one end of it for my mandolin case? Thanks. Does this include free shipping? B) Oh by the way, I really like your case holder, it is a cool idea.

BK / DoG : I am thinking of selling these plans to Hercules... Used to drive me nuts to have the cases all scattered about, now it doesn't. I had two of the "A" frame guitar racks disappear over the winter. At least they were empty. Got 2 more from Musician's Friend - about $10 a piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived