Gibson Brands Forums

So... First rehearsal with new les paul

Morgancolgrave

Had my first 'at volume' play of my new p90 junior special. Love the tone and thickness of it (I'm a fender guy). Much more in the left hand with the thicker neck.

Biggest gripe was the hum from the p90's when not playing. It was extreme. Way more than my tele. Granted it was going into an slightly breaking up amp, with a Timmy stacked with a hotcake. But still loud hum.

Is this what I should expect?

I guess this is normal for P90s as it matches my experiences with them since 28 years. This is why I play my otherwise fantastic Weimann Blues Bird ES guitar with P90s very seldom at high gain and/or volume.

As for Fenders, I switched to Noiseless series pickups in most of mine. All of my Gibsons are featuring humbuckers. Furthermore, I use coil split options mostly for clean tones and sometimes for crunch sounds, but never for high-gain settings.

Yup... pretty much all single coils hum...

And a lot of people don't like P90s because of that... But I say, just turn the volume down when you arnt playing and all is good :)

Yup... pretty much all single coils hum...

And a lot of people don't like P90s because of that... But I say, just turn the volume down when you arnt playing and all is good :)

Yeah I figure that's what I'll be doing. I just didn't expect the p90 hum to be noticeably louder than my tele with quite similar output from the pickups.

My Tele had an annoying hum. I talk to a guitar tech and explain when I touched the volume knob the hum would dampen extremely. So mine was a grounding issue, it's possible if your p90s seem unusually loud that you may have a ground issue.

I'm surprised at the amount of hum you're experiencing. I had a P90-loaded SG and I never had a problem with hum. Perhaps the amount of gain you're using and or type of amp and or proximity to your amp is a factor?

Archived