Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird vs Dove

Not-Too-Late

I'm new to acoustic, as all my playing revolves around solid body electrics. Recently I was looking at the Epiphone AJ-220S for my wife, but put in on hold due to her wanting to put her focus on learning piano. So that's on the shelf for the time being. For myself, I'm looking at a few electric acoustics, and two of the models I'm eyeing are the Hummingbird and the Dove. I'm hoping to have a look at then next week, but I'm wondering what the differences are between the two. Can anyone assist me with this please?

Cheers

Wayne

Hummingbird: Mahogany all around with a spruce top = Warm and Woody tone.

Dove: Maple all around with a spruce top = Cool and Bright tone.

The choice is yours. Might try to record the vocalist (yourself?) accompanied by both, then compare.

For me it's Warm and Woody, gimme a 'Bird.

I agree with TommyK ...the mahogany Hummingbird for me...I own the Gibson Hummingbird and the Epiphone Hummingbird...of the 27 guitars I have owned in my life....the mahogany Hummingbirds by far exceed expectations for both beauty and warm rich tone designed to compliment the human voice. The dove is nice but very bright in tone...verses the Hummingbird which is warmer and more luscious in tone. The choice however is yours. The AJ-220sce which I also own is also an exceptional guitar with great tone and action, and is also mahogany.

Hummingbird: Mahogany all around with a spruce top = Warm and Woody tone.

Dove: Maple all around with a spruce top = Cool and Bright tone.

The choice is yours. Might try to record the vocalist (yourself?) accompanied by both, then compare.

For me it's Warm and Woody, gimme a 'Bird.

I have to say after playing both today out of the box the dove is a superior guitar in tone and feel the hummingbird sounded and felt like a toy

I played the Dove 6 months ago and found it very good for the tag. But have to disagree with the Bird = mellow/warm, Dove = bright/cool idea.

The Doves I've played have all been if not sweeter then mellower than Hummingbirds.

Maple is a very rounded warm wood when the strings begin to fade, which can make the bass a bit toothless and rubberband-like.

If you want dripping sweet highs (and mids), the Dove provides sirup where the Bird offers honey.

Still need to find and try a tunomatic bridged Dove - always thought the mix of the soft maple and the steel saddle was an intriguing concept.

P.S. I own both models in G-versions. .

I played the Dove 6 months ago and found it very good for the tag. But have to disagree with the Bird = mellow/warm, Dove = bright/cool idea.

The Doves I've played have all been if not sweeter then mellower than Hummingbirds.

Maple is a very rounded warm wood when the strings begin to fade, which can make the bass a bit toothless and rubberband-like.

If you want dripping sweet highs (and mids), the Dove provides sirup where the Bird offers honey.

Still need to find and try a tunomatic bridged Dove - always thought the mix of the soft maple and the steel saddle was an intriguing concept.

P.S. I own both models in G-versions. .

That would be interesting but in the case of the two I played the dove was warmer than even the store owner , who is also the local Guild and Sigma dealer, thought it would be and preferred its tone to any other dread in the store. The Bird must have been one of those fabled Epiphone misses I hear about.

• 2 years later...

Once the HB gets to the point of obvious openess? You wont ever replace that guitar as it will be a keeper.

Gibson guitars are quite a different animal, but once you get that one special sounding box? It's as any bit comparable if not better than any other long standing brand out there and can stand toe to toe hands down.

Trans

I've yet to try/buy a Dove that really grabs my attention that is really worth getting.

Am sure we have a lot of Dove followers/users here and would not take them out of the equation.

The J-15 is really a must try guitar right now that's out there making it's own name, as well as the J-29 both maple and rosewood flavor.

I would have both if I could here!

Peace!

• 3 months later...

Archived