• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Is Your Weather Today?

#41 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBrockton, Massachusetts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'd say, weather wise, today has been one of the nicest (to me) days of the year. Sultry summer breezes keep it relatively cool, just a very nice day.Posted Image

84 F
partly cloudy
wind ssw 20-30 mph

<lol

#42 User is offline   Aster1 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

84 and humid. Suppose to drop into the 70's for a few days and hope the humidity does too. The other day it was only 76 temp but the humidity was about the same. I thought I stepped into a pressure cooker. It didn't bother me much 40 yrs ago. Now the humidity is the main factor in whether I'm overly hot or bone chilled cold. Like dryer air for sure. I can breath easier then too.

Aster
"Life is too dang short to eat ratty tast'n peaches!"

#43 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCenter of the USA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Our guys in the southeastern part of the U.S have what I consider the worst of summers - low altitude, high humidity and high summer temperatures. When we lived in Memphis, it seemed that one had either the air conditioner or the heat on - and never a comfortable day for windows open.

m

#44 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Where I am gets hot, bloody hot at times, but we don't get the humidity fortunately

It gets more humid as you head north. It's worse for Eggs and worse again for Mr Scales.

Darwin gets my award for the worst humidity! I was there briefly just before Christmas in 1968 and walking across the tarmac at night was like being underwater. Vietnam wasn't even as bad!

Wet season up there is to be endured, not enjoyed in my opinion. No wonder they drink a lot!

#45 User is offline   Bender 4 Life 

• Your Creepy Cousin
  • LocationAlabama the Beautiful

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

warm and humid here in N.E. Bama....overcast.....humid....did I mention humid?
oil-change & minor tuneup day on my truck, an hrs work left me drained due having to chew the air before breathing it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You won't hurt its feelings boy, play it like you stole it!

I'm a proud supporter of the A.S.P.C.A. and their "Guardian Angel" program.
Speaking up for those that can't speak for theirself,
A.S.P.C.A . We Are Their Voice !

#46 User is offline   L8_4thesh0w 

• Cranky
  • LocationBellsburg TN

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostBender 4 Life, on 13 July 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

the "Polar VorTexas Two-step"...what else?

ba-dump-bump (rimshot)

\:D/
Bender, you're the man!

#47 User is offline   4Hayden 

• Just Jerking Your Chain
  • LocationAbove ground

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

Digger it's so hot the hot peppers blew over and caught the garden on fire supposed to get some rain tomorrow #-o

#48 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

I think Bender also hit a cultural factor in the American "Southeast" that too often is ignored. It's the myth that folks living there are lazy and slow at their work, especially if it's physical work. They are slow compared to folks who live where I reside but - it's literally a survival factor.

Pre air conditioning, I don't know how folks in that part of the country got any work done at all in the summer. And if they did, what kept them from dropping dead.

When I lived in Memphis, I'd have folks from other parts of the country come to train with me. They figured the temperatures were no big deal because it got as hot, sometimes hotter, where they lived. They were wrong. The low altitude and high humidity would end up getting to them in about 10 days and inevitably they'd just plain come down "sick" with flu-like symptoms. Their bodies hadn't learned to balance increasing body temperatures and lesser ability to shed that body temperature in a high-humidity climate.

I think if one were raised in that area of the US, it's simply what they and the culture into which they were raised had accommodated to. If not - as in my case - it was a matter of not caring to continue living in such climatic conditions if there were options. There were options for me (although at about a third the income) and I ain't there any more.

m

#49 User is offline   4Hayden 

• LocationAbove ground

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostBender 4 Life, on 13 July 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

warm and humid here in N.E. Bama....overcast.....humid....did I mention humid?
oil-change & minor tuneup day on my truck, an hrs work left me drained due having to chew the air before breathing it.

I'm in Cullman, Co. , I understand where your coming from pal

#50 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Post4Hayden, on 14 July 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Digger it's so hot the hot peppers blew over and caught the garden on fire supposed to get some rain tomorrow #-o

Chuckle~

#51 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

15 degrees here and fine. Gotta go cut up trees today dammit!

#52 User is offline   matiac 

• "Why so SERIOUS?"
  • LocationWesterly R.I. U.S.of A.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thunderstorms all the way through Wednesday here...
www.soundclick.com/TheFullSkinny
www.soundcloud.com/matiac

The "Moral Majority" is neither.

#53 User is offline   4Hayden 

• LocationAbove ground

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

10:44 pm in sweet home Alabama and it's raining with thunder , Roll Tide Roll

#54 User is offline   Bender 4 Life 

• Your Creepy Cousin
  • LocationAlabama the Beautiful

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

View Postmilod, on 14 July 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think Bender also hit a cultural factor in the American "Southeast" that too often is ignored. It's the myth that folks living there are lazy and slow at their work, especially if it's physical work. They are slow compared to folks who live where I reside but - it's literally a survival factor.

Pre air conditioning, I don't know how folks in that part of the country got any work done at all in the summer. And if they did, what kept them from dropping dead.

When I lived in Memphis, I'd have folks from other parts of the country come to train with me. They figured the temperatures were no big deal because it got as hot, sometimes hotter, where they lived. They were wrong. The low altitude and high humidity would end up getting to them in about 10 days and inevitably they'd just plain come down "sick" with flu-like symptoms. Their bodies hadn't learned to balance increasing body temperatures and lesser ability to shed that body temperature in a high-humidity climate.

I think if one were raised in that area of the US, it's simply what they and the culture into which they were raised had accommodated to. If not - as in my case - it was a matter of not caring to continue living in such climatic conditions if there were options. There were options for me (although at about a third the income) and I ain't there any more.

m

M, there was a guy from Cleveland Oh. came down here and went straight to work as a furnace attendant in the precious metals foundry where my career has been.....within 2 weeks he was in the hospital w/near fatal dehydration, and a raging resp. infection.
6 yrs later he still has problems during the summer.

4Hayden.....Cullman Co. isn't far from Anniston/Jacksonville/Piedmont, where I am.(Calhoun Co.)

91 today, off the chart humidity
currently 4:30am......70F 95% humidity........rain moving in.

EDIT: Hell YEAH Roll Tide !!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You won't hurt its feelings boy, play it like you stole it!

I'm a proud supporter of the A.S.P.C.A. and their "Guardian Angel" program.
Speaking up for those that can't speak for theirself,
A.S.P.C.A . We Are Their Voice !

#55 User is offline   Notes_Norton 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

View Postmilod, on 14 July 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

<...>Pre air conditioning, I don't know how folks in that part of the country got any work done at all in the summer. And if they did, what kept them from dropping dead.<...>

m

I grew up in Florida pre-air conditioning.

People dressed accordingly. It was common to see a businessman in a seersucker suit with short pants.

Also, and most importantly, when you don't go into an air conditioned house every evening, it just doesn't seem as hot.

You know how after a hot summer and during the first cold spell of autumn, when it drops below 70 people get cold and bundle up. On the other hand, after the cold winter and in the spring when it's 60 degrees people are out with no shirts on. They've become acclimated to the seasons.

When you live in Air Conditioning, you never get acclimated to the summer, so it seems much hotter to you.

I still don't use AC. I live in a house that was built in 1950 to take advantage of the sea breezes. I have a white roof, plenty of shade trees, and fans. It may get into the low 80s in the house in the summer, but it's not uncomfortable - because we aren't acclimated to living in AC. Then when we go out in the sun, we don't roast because the change of temperature isn't that great.

When I go out to a restaurant or other AC place, I have sweaters in the car, because I really get chilled in those places.

I don't use AC because I just never liked it. I like the windows open, I like to hear the birds, I like the fresh air, and I like the light that comes in the open windows. It's pleasure to me. Living in an AC house is like wintertime, living in a cave. (Wintertime = temperatures below 70F)

A nice side effect is that when my next-door neighbor complains about a $300/month electric bill, I feel extra good about never learning to like AC.

When I worked for the phone company, the guys who lived in their AC houses would get wiped out climbing a couple of telephone poles. No problem for me. And some of those guys were in much better physical shape than I was.

It's funny how people have changed due to AC. We played 4th of July Bar-B-Q parties at a yacht club for about 20 years running. When we started, everybody cooked and ate outdoors. Then after some years, they put up a tent with fans. Then they cooked outdoors but the people mostly went inside to eat. Then they put the band inside and only cooked outdoors. Now they have regular dinners inside with no entertainment.

It will go into the high 80s today. I live close to the ocean, so it won't get that hot here. And in the mid-to-late afternoon we will probably have a cooling thunderstorm.

The USA is a big country, and there is a variety of climates in the big land mass. There is something for everybody. I like the climate in sub-tropical Florida, and that's why I live here.

Notes

Insights and incites by Notes

♫ Bob "Notes" Norton ♫

Owner, Norton Music ► www.nortonmusic.com
Add-on styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats ► www.s-cats.com

#56 User is offline   4Hayden 

• LocationAbove ground

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Rain and wind = wining

#57 User is offline   milod 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Bob...

I see your point but...

Way back in the mid '50s I remember going on vacation to the Tampa area (family members there at the time). It was the summer I turned 12. Litte air conditioning anywhere; certainly not at home or Dad's business or in the car.

The heat and humidity in memory come pouring back like you can't believe.

Heat? Not a big deal when you've been tossing bales when it's over 100 degrees and you wear leather gloves to drive the old topless tractor because the metal in the sunshine literally will burn your hands. But that humidity... I remember feeling as if I were drowning and nothing would stop it. I remember getting into the area where Mississippi and Louisiana meet and simply finding breathing difficult on my birthday in August.

I think I'll stick to a bit higher ground and a lot lower humidity. Temperatures one way or another ain't that big a deal, but with the humidity factor added ... yeah, I think it is.

It's a good thing folks live and through culture can learn to enjoy different climates. I can tell you I'm a lot happier at -10 F here than 90 "down south."

m

#58 User is offline   Not-Too-Late 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Eggs don't fry on the sidewalk here - they vaporize. Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostNot-Too-Late, on 15 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Eggs don't fry on the sidewalk here - they vaporize. Posted Image

Chuckle~

I'd like to see that!

#60 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

No choice but to use A/C here in summer as it gets too bloody hot!

Ceiling fans over the bed are a blessing too.

Old folks sometimes die of heat related illnesses, and we count ourselves thankful to be able to afford to have an air conditioned house.

112 f is common where I live in summer, occasionally hotter!

Share this topic:

• (204 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users