Gibson Brands Forums

Which one?

jono66

Ok , so in the end it is down to personal preference but all advice welcome . Choice = 1993 classic , new custom plain top vos 60 v2, s/h 2012 custom 60 gloss v3 or a 2011 Beano ? Listed in ascending order of price from 1k , 3k, 3k to 5 k but which will be best quality for the money. Been told that the new custom vos are not as good as pre 2010 . Many thanks for your help . Jono

Hi Jono - I'm only in Bournemouth - not too far away. [smile]

In the end, it's down to personal choice - I would never buy any guitar without trying it. Are you in a position to try all of them?

Ok , so in the end it is down to personal preference but all advice welcome . Choice = 1993 classic , new custom plain top vos 60 v2, s/h 2012 custom 60 gloss v3 or a 2011 Beano ? Listed in ascending order of price from 1k , 3k, 3k to 5 k but which will be best quality for the money. Been told that the new custom vos are not as good as pre 2010 . Many thanks for your help . Jono

Man.. is that the Eric Clapton model you are talking about?

If you can afford it get that [thumbup]

The collectors choice are made in a similar vein and the few I tried of those models were all totally outstanding in every way BUT

As we always say, every guitar is different even within the same models as they are hand finished.. So the safest thing to do is try them before if you can... Its really hard to tell which one is right for you until you play it and hear it.. But I would bet a lot of money on the fact that the Beno guitar will be amazing (and fairly rare).

Off to try a couple today , I am thinking that the Classic 93 is best value Guitar for £.

I know 89 to 93 are meant to be a good period but does this also apply to the classics? Jon

The early 1960 Classics ('89 - '95-ish) are, generally speaking, fantastic instruments.

During this period they were closer to 1960 Historic specs than were the Standards of the same period and were priced about 40% more than the Standard.

Ceramic p'ups apart just about the only thing they 'lacked' - if you can call it that - was the long neck-tenon found in the R-I's.

In some ways they were actually more historically accurate. The traps on the early Historics (introduced in '93) had rounded points whereas those on the Classics were sharp.

Most early Classics were plain-tops as opposed to the figure found on the R-I's but, personally, I like a nice plain-top.

Figured tops are out there - they are just not as commonplace.

If you can get the 1960 Classic for 1K then I'd jump at it; normally here in London they go from around £1,400 to £1,700 in dealerships.

The early ones are becoming sought-after for the reasons listed earlier.

FWIW I have a pair of Classics (a '91 and a '95) and a pair of R-I's ('93 R9 and '95 R0) and whilst there are a few unique features to each they are all fantastic guitars.

I wouldn't say that the R-I's were really that much different in terms of build-quality.

The only thing I will add is that some of the very early 1960 Classics had very slim necks - even by '60s profile standards. My '91 is like that whereas my '95 has a 'regular' '60s feel.

I'm not sure when the Classics received the thicker-neck treatment but most of the changes to the Classics started to be introduced around '93 to 'distance' the model from the R-I's.

It seems that a few unscrupulous dealers were passing-off Classics as R-I's to uninformed buyers so the model was gradually altered as far as specifications go.

Hence the reason the earlier guitars command the higher prices.

P.

Thanks for your comments, tried loads today all over the place and it just proves that you have got to play as many as you can before you decide.

I would have said it would be a 60s neck all day long.

However, can you believe it I ended up liking a 59 burst ultra .

Not a common choice , I think it will be the one though.

It just suited me best and I loved the sounds from the 57 /custom bucker combination.

There you go, there is a guitar for everyone !

Many thanks once again, Jono.

PS: Still might buy the classic but don't tell the Mrs ! :)

Good to hear you found one which felt just "so".

Finding the right LP is far more challenging than finding the right, say, Telecaster.

Somehow it seems to be a more 'personal' affiliation as far as LP's are concerned.

Look forward to seeing the pics in the eventuality and if you can smuggle the Classic in as well you'll have won out to an amazing extent!

Congrats and all that stuff.

P.

Archived