Gibson Brands Forums

Best NON-Masterbilt Epiphone Acoustic?

cliffenstein

Of those three the Hummingbird Pro seems to routinely get the best user reviews. I was actually playing one in the store before I saw my Texan. It looked great but it didn't knock my socks off with the tone. Once I played the Texan it was all over for me.

People who own the Masterbilt guitars...are they really any better than the new Texans? The only thing I really like better about the way they look are their headstocks. I've never played one, though.

If I found a good condition AJ-500M would I notice much of a difference? I've read a lot about them being pretty much the same guitar with the differences being a satin finish, different headstock and solid sides.

I love my masterbilt. It is better than most Gibsons I picked up in my local GC. and I thought the Texan looked cool and sounded good but it didn't have any projection. anyway I really don't know what I should get for my back up still I guess I just need to play them all. if anyone has an opinion on the different pickups too I'd love to hear it. just that hummingbird with lr baggs for under 300 sounds like the best deal but I don't know if its the best guitar for me. sorry didn't mean to ramble on the reply. but again i think the masterbilt just sounds richer and sweeter than the texan.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of those three the Hummingbird Pro seems to routinely get the best user reviews. I was actually playing one in the store before I saw my Texan. It looked great but it didn't knock my socks off with the tone. Once I played the Texan it was all over for me.

People who own the Masterbilt guitars...are they really any better than the new Texans? The only thing I really like better about the way they look are their headstocks. I've never played one, though.

If I found a good condition AJ-500M would I notice much of a difference? I've read a lot about them being pretty much the same guitar with the differences being a satin finish, different headstock and solid sides.

No, based on my AJ500ME.

Who ever said same build that is wrong. All you have to do is look inside the guitar to see they are not the same build or are they voiced the same by playing them.

Like my Texan Natural better that any Masterbuilt I have played or owned.

That said it is the magic of the wood and how they go together so play if you can.

I played a new Gibson J35 at my GC and thought not much better than my Texan.

Sam Ash stopped by this week and grabbed their J35 and to me was the best acoustic I played all day, and my friend and I grabbed their 2 J45s, Hummingbird, Songwriter and that J35 smoked them all.

If I was looking for a new acoustic that one J35 at the Sam Ash would be the one regardless of cost no buyers remorse if I was in the market.

Byrds,

I'm definitely not getting rid of my Texan. It is just too good of a guitar. Its looks AND sounds are just off the charts fantastic. I haven't seen a photo or video of any masterbuilt that I have personally thought was better looking or sounding than my Texan. The Masterbilt line has been a big deal for quite a while, but I haven't seen one in real life. Knowing how incredible my specific 2014 Texan is, I'm hard pressed to believe any EPI is better than what I already have. I wish the headstock was a bit wider on the Texan, but it's true to the original '64 design so it's all good.

Do you happen to know if the nut and saddle are real bone on these newer Indonesian made Texans? I could swear they are, but I could certainly be wrong. They're definitely not the super white obvious plastic you see on most low and mid-range acoustics. There are no saddle/nut material specs anywhere online.

With all due respect, I think a lot of "preference" is exactly that: Preference.

Each of us wants and expects something different from a guitar, or perhaps more appropriately, from each of our guitars.

My AJ500me is about as good a guitar as I've had my hands on. But it's used only in certain circumstances. Meanwhile my cheapie PR5e gets played a lot, as do a couple of similar shape archtops.

The bigger box just isn't as comfortable for me.

"Quality" doesn't necessarily mean "appropriate." The "best" instrument IMHO is the one that works best for a given guitarist for what he or she does.

m

Today I played Three guitars I've been really interested in an EJ200, Hummingbird pro, and a Dove Pro. I gotta say of the three the Dove Pro really sang out beautiful finish, excellent action ( all three were near perfect), the intonation was bang on. The volume on the Hummingbird was soft it felt and sounded like a cheap guitar. The EJ was good but a bit tiny to my liking. the Dove was awesome the chords had power and almost a cross between martin and Gibson. Now to sweet talk the wife.

If a guitar speaks to you like that, it will be a worthwhile purchase. I've never played a Dove. I did play an Epi Hummingbird Pro and standard and both were very soft as well. As such, they were non starters for me. I've never seen the EJ200 in stores, but I've read that, because of their size, they sound much different to the listener than they do the player.

Best of luck on your possible new guitar purchase. Make sure you buy the actual guitar you demoed.

If a guitar speaks to you like that, it will be a worthwhile purchase. I've never played a Dove. I did play an Epi Hummingbird Pro and standard and both were very soft as well. As such, they were non starters for me. I've never seen the EJ200 in stores, but I've read that, because of their size, they sound much different to the listener than they do the player.

Best of luck on your possible new guitar purchase. Make sure you buy the actual guitar you demoed.

true I always try to bring a friend or have someone listen while I [play. a little note the store lutier puts martin medium lights on all the acoustics sound good

ps I told the guy to put it in a case he laughed and said he knew I'd say that and had one ready

Byrds,

Do you happen to know if the nut and saddle are real bone on these newer Indonesian made Texans? I could swear they are, but I could certainly be wrong. They're definitely not the super white obvious plastic you see on most low and mid-range acoustics. There are no saddle/nut material specs anywhere online.

Both of my Texans and remaining Masterbuilt are MIC, and they all look to have the same comp bridge and nut materials.

With all due respect, I think a lot of "preference" is exactly that: Preference.

Each of us wants and expects something different from a guitar, or perhaps more appropriately, from each of our guitars.

My AJ500me is about as good a guitar as I've had my hands on. But it's used only in certain circumstances. Meanwhile my cheapie PR5e gets played a lot, as do a couple of similar shape archtops.

The bigger box just isn't as comfortable for me.

"Quality" doesn't necessarily mean "appropriate." The "best" instrument IMHO is the one that works best for a given guitarist for what he or she does.

m

Yes as I was saying a lot is preference that and how the thing goes together = same parts and specs do not always = same.

I have been playing over 30 years and I know what I like, I have owned, Gibson's, Taylors, Guilds, Epiphone's could never find a Martin I loved enough to own one.

In that 30 years I have decided I am a Gibson guy and like Gibson's take on how an acoustic should sound, Gibson are voiced like Gibson's with that midrange honk.

All the Masterbuilts I have played or owned have had the same very thin wood construction which leads to both their tone, and or cracking as the wood cures, so if you want one buy used as the wood will have cured by now and be stable.

Not one I have played or owned has been voiced like a Gibson they sound to me more in the Martin tone range.

The Texans I own are voiced in the Gibson range.

Masterbuilts are fine if you like them and find one without issues. They are not and never will be cheap Gibson's they are what they are.

The Gibson Canadian line from the old Garrison plant were not voiced like a Gibson either, I played them when out wanting to like them but passed.

The new J35s sound like Gibson's and when you find a great one like any other higher priced Gibson, and yes their are duds in all levels of the line.

Bottom line like you say find one you like and play and enjoy it.

Which one is better is subjective, but Epiphone supposing to be the Gibson brand the Texans get you closer to the Gibson tone/sound than the Masterbuilt line.

Since this is the Gibson/Epiphone forum is the Masterbuilt better than the Texan at making a Gibson type sound my answer is still No.

If this was the acoustic guitar forum on line then my answer would be play both and see what voicing/flavor you like.

The person buying needs to decide for themselves what it is they like and want and buy that regardless of brand/cost.

When iwas looking to by my sloped shoulder guitar, I did a comparison last Christmas at the GC in Orlando.

I was psyched that they had a Texan. my GC's in Pittsburgh never seem to get them in.

The Texan was flat and had no voice. Very disappointed. Played the J-35 and it sounded good. They had a J-15, Walnut back and sides. Blew me away. Played a J-45, still no comparison to the J-15. Should have bought it.

(for those not familiar with the J-15, look for one and play it. It should surprise you and only $1,399 with hard case. I think that's a great price for a solid playing Gibson. )

Located a mint condition AJ 500 MNS at a GC in Connecticut, got it for $299. Plays and sounds as good if not better than all of the above. Glad I waited.

Now as for the Texan sounding, I was at my local GC about 2 months ago and they had an acoustic Hummingbird for $199. Beautiful, not a scratch on it. Played flat. Looking at the tag, they had "WC"at the end of the discription.

Now I know Epiphone uses WC as Warn Cherry, but having purchased from GC's before, I thought it meant With Case.

So I asked. Sure enough, he brings out a good conditioned E-Dred case, the same that I had just purchased for my AJ for $90.

Flat sounding or not, the Hummingbird and case for $199? I bought it.

Got it home, cleans it up, small adjustments and a new set of Martin Cleartones and this guitar plays and sound great.

So now my judgement on the Texan is out the window. But we do have a habit of going with what feels right at the store.

I will think twice next time I find a guitar that sounds dead, but gets great reviews.

While I agree in general, I think there are additional variables in "best" for each of us.

Yes, any acoustic guitar played without any sort of amplification (even a mike and PA makes a difference) will sound different to a listener than to the player.

Don't forget that it's not "just" the guitar in that circumstance. More than a little of that "tone" difference is in the player. It's the hold on the instrument and it's the technique.

It's also, as mentioned above, strings. Frankly I wouldn't buy a guitar over about $500 without putting on my own strings.

Then too, there are differences in player-guitar geometry that depend on the size and shape of the instrument and its scale, and the size and shape of the guitarist.

For example, to me a 335 always feels as if the nut is narrower than on other Gib/Epi guitars and a bit harder to play at the root chord positions - and that's even though I've measured the nut and it's identical to guitars I'm quite comfortable with at the same scale.

In the olden days one would frequently see standing pickers seeking more ... whumph ... literally lifting the guitar from their body toward an audience or microphone and striking chords with a flatpick over the soundhole. Without the arm holding the instrument firmly against the body, yes, there's a different dynamic.

Frankly I'm utterly convinced that how the instrument is held is a far greater variable on "tone" on most guitars than nut and bridge material - although the shaping of the nut certainly is of major importance. That latter is why many guitars in the past, although not of the "American Tradition," have had a zero fret. It removes questions of nut material and gives a somewhat more consistent action as well as tone. Then again, the Gibson/Martin traditions arose from open chording where IMHO there was more gentle "picking" in more European traditions - and the nut material could/did make a difference.

One might note that apparently "high end" classical guitarists would tend to agree on how the instrument is held since what's chosen by one is not by another. It's also a rather different choice than whether one is playing bluegrass and wants the Martin "thump," or Old Time seeking more of a midrange sought in both old Gibbie archtops and then flattops in early recording/radio since that range worked better with mikes of that era. Martins still would have a lotta thump for unamplified dance venues of the time and place.

I'll add that I don't think my AJ500me sounds at all like a Martin. Then again, consider that I don't play it like a Martin. I dunno if one might consider whether it sounds like a Gibson or not given how I play it and what it wears for strings.

Finally... I'm an AE guy. Ain't owned a non AE guitar since I got my first AEs back in the early '70s when the high-end Ovations of the day came out with their special saddle/pickup AE capability. It's far better for consistency and control than using a mike - although certainly a $30,000 Hauser classical will sound far better miked or in an appropriate small venue playing Bach than my early '70s Ovation Country Artist nylon-strung instrument. OTOH, the Ovation still may win on "loud" to an audience, depending on how it's played. Adjustment of PA/amp controls and technique seems to ease objections of "quack." That's a thousand times more true with that little PR5e I enjoy playing in a number of style variations.

m

The Texan was flat and had no voice. Very disappointed. Played the J-35 and it sounded good. They had a J-15, Walnut back and sides. Blew me away. Played a J-45, still no comparison to the J-15. Should have bought it.

(for those not familiar with the J-15, look for one and play it. It should surprise you and only $1,399 with hard case. I think that's a great price for a solid playing Gibson. )

The Texan's are like any other acoustic, just have to play and see what they sound like.

My Natural is great but the PU died.

My Burst is ok at best but the PU works and I got out the door new for $200. That is the guitar I have at practice now days.

Gibson is doing a lot of nice price points as you say with the J15 and J35s.

I think they are trying the fill that mid price gap the Canadian line tried to fill and failed.

If I did not own a great J45 I would have bought that J35 I played the day my buddy and I hit the local stores.

The one GC had meh but the one at Sam Ash great.

I own both electrics and acoustics and there are differences in both exact models but plugged in electrics less so than acoustics since they don't rely on plugged in to make the sound.

You can look at the best wood pile possible and you just don't know until the thing is built how it is all going to react tone wise.

Acoustics you really have to play as many as possible and buy the one that grabs you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll toss in a vote for the ej 200ce. Picking or strumming, the guitar has a full, rich (yet remarkably clear) tone. Big, voluptuous blonde guitar. My girlfriend calls it "Marilyn".

I played the DR-500MCE as an alternate, which was nice, but didn't bowl me over.

The AJ-220 suprised me for the price point as well.

I keep considering the AJ-220s, but I don't like how it's missing the fretboard dot on the 3rd fret and the sound I hear from samples online sounds kinda modern. I really like the old fashioned, dry, Gibson tone. Perhaps it was the samples or hearing it online...I dunno. I still may end up getting it.

I keep considering the AJ-220s, but I don't like how it's missing the fretboard dot on the 3rd fret and the sound I hear from samples online sounds kinda modern. I really like the old fashioned, dry, Gibson tone. Perhaps it was the samples or hearing it online...I dunno. I still may end up getting it.

just posted on another thread Cliff that I played teh J45 and AJ220 side by side and there was no contest the Aj220 sounded far better - the J45 looks the part but the AJ220 defo sounded far better. I hasd the AJ200 and after it "broke in" with about 2 years playing it sounded as good as any guitar I've heard - couldn't believe hoe good it sounded for the price

Dodger,

Thank you, sir...yeah, I emailed Gibson specifically to ask about the 1963 J-45. Asked whether it was really a solid top or not, that zZounds had it listed as a solid top, whereas American Music Supply had it listed as a laminate top. I haven't heard back from them yet.

By the way...look at what Musician's Friend just got in (how they got it, I have no idea):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-masterbilt-aj-500m-advanced-jumbo-acoustic-guitar

Dodger,

Thank you, sir...yeah, I emailed Gibson specifically to ask about the 1963 J-45. Asked whether it was really a solid top or not, that zZounds had it listed as a solid top, whereas American Music Supply had it listed as a laminate top. I haven't heard back from them yet.

By the way...look at what Musician's Friend just got in (how they got it, I have no idea):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-masterbilt-aj-500m-advanced-jumbo-acoustic-guitar

I don't think you'd be disappointed by the AJ220 Cliff - I'd love an AJ500 Masterbilt - but I'm in Belfast ](*,)

Not buying that Masterbilt...I've already got my Texan and the lam sides don't detract from its tone, but make the guitar less prone to cracking. Once I upgrade to bone nut, saddle and pins, it should be in the same league, plus I have the electronics should I ever need them.

Back in the middle ages (around 72 or 3) I got two of the then high-end Ovations, one steel string and one nylon, both AE which I preferred for all around "work" even then.

I don't see a problem with the laminate on Epi flattops. I have some of 'em myself, both solid and lam tops.

If one is looking for a "down home piece of art to play," yeah, no question a solid wood guitar of quality build should (note "should") have a bit better tone over time.

But the thing to me is, "how does it play in the real world of changing temps and climates, hauling to gigs when it's 95F or -30F outside? Is the guitar versatile enough and sound good enough for gigs through a board?

So... My Masterbuilt tends to stay home while a cutaway AE aj220 or PR5e go out to play... The 220 usually for rural folks' flatpicking old-style country friends' get-togethers over bbq and a beer, and the PR mostly if I'm on stage fingerpicking for this or that...

m

• 1 year later...

My vote for best non-Masterbilt Epiphone goes to Dave Navarro's signature "Jane". It's mostly solid wood, with ebony fretboard, bone nut and saddle. I has the e-Sonic preamp without the extra magnetic pickup. It's built at the Samick Indonesia factory where the newest Masterbilts are currently being made. It's fully bound and has an abalone rosette. It's the longer scale though, at 25.5". Its 16:1 Grover tuning machines are easy to finesse to pitch. Its price falls in the middle of the Masterbilt line. It's BLACK!

I prefer the enclosed tuning machines and the symmetrical headstock over the Masterbilts. She's a beast. If Edgar Allen Poe had a hummingbird, this would be it. It's kind of gorgeous and doesn't look like all the other guitars. The graphics are etched underneath the CLEAR pickguard, so the design doesn't get all worn away like on the Hummingbirds.

post-67750-049057200 1453435604_thumb.jpg

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/Dave-Navarro-Jane.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

I own 2 different Masterbilts and they are fine instruments...but this is a "NOT Masterbilt" thread, so I will go with my Epiphone EL00, the older pure acoustic guitar, not the newer Pro A/E version. It has the gibson scale neck, and the frets on mine are VERY well finished. I bought this guitar used, with a case for about $200 online. IMO, it is a gem...a great guitar for acoustic blues, very responsive to changes in picking styles and hard /soft picking. I have owned a Texan and a Hummingbird, both very good guitars, but this one shades them both, IMO.

Archived