Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Plus 2014

Heya,

I bought this guitar recently and am wondering if it is a legitimate 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus - Heritage Cherry Sunburst. The serial on the back of the neck is '140005461' which I have searched online and it hasn't been recognized in the database. Also the colour of the threat board seems lighter then others I'v looked at. When it arrives tomorrow I will test it to see if it sounds genuine but I am no expert on Gibsons.

Here is the link with all the photos and info:

http://shop.musical-money.co.uk/guitars/3267-2014-gibson-les-paul-standard-plus-electric-guitar-heritage-cherry-sunburst.html

I have 14 days to return it but am not completely sure it is genuine, any help is appreciated.

post-66433-097874500 1405347296_thumb.jpg

The serial numbers for the 2014's start with a 14 and may not be recognized by that database that you're using. Also, it is very hard to tell from the pictures if your guitar is legitimate or not. You might try using a Photobucket account and uploading pictures there and then posting links here on the site. If you are very concerned about the guitar, make sure that you include pictures of the control cavity, the backs of the pickups, and close-ups of the face of the guitar, the 12th fret inlay, the face of the headstock and the back of the headstock.

I just followed the link that you posted with all of the pictures they have of it. Those pictures look very good and I would be surprised if the guitar in those pictures was a fake.

cjsinla,

Say bro,although my LP is a 2013 LP Standard prem AAAA came with a hardshell case,Mine had a white interior..Am I wrong in my assumption that only Customs come hardshell/purple interior..Didn't see where this axe was a Custom?

The fretboard looks as if it has the commerative 12th fret inlay...

cjsinla,

Say bro,although my LP is a 2013 LP Standard prem AAAA came with a hardshell case,Mine had a white interior..Am I wrong in my assumption that only Customs come hardshell/purple interior..Didn't see where this axe was a Custom?

The fretboard looks as if it has the commerative 12th fret inlay...

Most of the 2014 model Gibson USA cases are made to the image of the "normal" Gibson Custom cases. Please refer to Gibson and retailer websites.

Most of the 2014 model Gibson USA cases are made to the image of the "normal" Gibson Custom cases. Please refer to Gibson and retailer websites.

Cool with that info capmaster..Thanx.

Thanks for the helpful replies, I asked Gibson directly and the serial number is verified.

But what I am still unsure of is why the Heritage Cherry Sunburst body looks different to other images of the same model I have seen. The model in question looks like the Les Paul Standard and not the Standard Plus as advertised. For example shown on the Gak website: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/list/ms/Gibson/2014-Les-Paul-Standard-Collection

Why is it a standard plus but has the appearance of a standard?

Thanks for the helpful replies, I asked Gibson directly and the serial number is verified.

But what I am still unsure of is why the Heritage Cherry Sunburst body looks different to other images of the same model I have seen. The model in question looks like the Les Paul Standard and not the Standard Plus as advertised. For example shown on the Gak website: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/list/ms/Gibson/2014-Les-Paul-Standard-Collection

Why is it a standard plus but has the appearance of a standard?

The differences between timber figuring grades are debated fairly often. The rating is done before finishing, but the appearance of graining and figuring is strongly affected by refraction and diffraction through the coat. There are tops looking consistent and about the same at any lighting and viewing angles, others change with them from seemingly plain to appearing like hell fires, or from random to bookmatched looks.

The beauty of the look is always in the eye of the beholder. Some people prefer a static appearance, some like a livelier impression when guitar and lighting are moving. There are either kinds of tops in my arsenal, and none is anyhow close to another. For me, tone and playability were of higher relevance than looks. The finishes had to be transparent since I wanted to make sure the bodies are one-piece, but all the rest was less important than what I call the entire package.

Perhaps you already know about that, but after removing strings you can make sure what your guitar was rated at the factory. Below the neck pickup you may find the colour code, e. g. HS, and the model code is written to the bridge pickup cavity, e. g. LPSTDPP. For the given example the checklist would say LPSTDPPHSCH1, meaning Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Heritage Sunburst Chrome Hardware First - there are no official factory seconds anymore.

However, if the guitar is to your desire, will depend on tone, playability, and looks. In the end, it will always be a matter of your personal taste.

Hope this helps.

Archived